12 volt appliances - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #29

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Under the sea
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Which raises the question, 'who paid for the study that said butter was bad'?
Probably hyped by the same people who brought you "margarine." As far as arterial and coronary damage and related health problems go, these issues were not very common at all until the advent of margarine to replace real butter during the shortages back during WW-II. Butter has been made and eaten for thousands of years, ever since the early domestication of milk producing animals. It wasn't until margarine came along that all these health problems started rearing their ugly heads. If you look at the chemical composition of margarine, it very closely resembles the molecular structure of plastics, some of which are only a molecule away. Butter remains in liquid solution in your bloodstream because it stays melted at body temperature. Margarine turns to a waxy plaque in your arteries. I'll keep my butter, you can eat the pseudo-plastic margarine if you want. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
...If you look at the chemical composition of margarine, it very closely resembles the molecular structure of plastics, some of which are only a molecule away. Butter remains in liquid solution in your bloodstream because it stays melted at body temperature. Margarine turns to a waxy plaque in your arteries. I'll keep my butter, you can eat the pseudo-plastic margarine if you want. Just my 2 cents.
That explains the original name that the marketing department rejected...
Attached Thumbnails
plastic.jpg  

Old 07-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #31
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
It is my understanding that if margarine is left out "in the air" nothing (i.e., mold, mildew, bacteria) will grow on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I use small amount of water instead of oil or butter, it's much more healthy, no saturated fats from the heated oil.
I'd rather have the saturated fat , it tastes a lot better !!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #33

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I'd rather have the saturated fat , it tastes a lot better !!
Is it gluten free?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #34

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Is it gluten free?
Yes and nut ,peanut ,soy , etc etc etc free.
Being alergic to gluten is the new disease du jour taking over from peanut allergy., who took over from lactose intolerance. All of which evidenrly are highly contagious .
Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #35

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Friend of ours teaches in a low-income school. She noted that poor kids did not have peanut allergies.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #36

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Under the sea
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It is my understanding that if margarine is left out "in the air" nothing (i.e., mold, mildew, bacteria) will grow on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
That, in and of itself, should be a "red flag" to margarine. It's not even food. Put it another way, if whatever you are eating is doesn't go bad, it's not food.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #37

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
That, in and of itself, should be a "red flag" to margarine. It's not even food. Put it another way, if whatever you are eating is doesn't go bad, it's not food.
We are way off topic, but what the heck. In his book Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey gives advice to a lost, parched desert hiker: don't ever drink out of those clear and pristine puddles. Look for those that are teeming with bugs. The first ones are sterilized with arsenic!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #38

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
I think I can arbitrate a little between the pro-butter and anti-butter.

For starters, there's nothing wrong with saturated fats in general and they won't cause heart disease or any other disease in an otherwise healthy person on their own.

But, you're generally getting your saturated fat from butter that comes from a big dairy operation pumping millions of tons of low-cost feeds, medications, and antibiotics into its cows to make more milk faster. Any toxins and hormones left over from the strange feeds, herbicides, pesticides, and medication will be stored primarily in the animal's fat and the fat in the milk it makes (butter).

So unless you're eating butter from some sort of rare organic grass-fed cow (like one grazing in your weed-covered back-yard) or equivalent coconut butter, you'll be getting a higher concentration of industrial food toxins the more animal fat you eat.

So in that case it might be healthier and way cheaper to cook with water. It's not like most of us need more calories unless we're doing marathons or something. Goes without saying you should avoid any other weird fat or oil substitutes, same as weird sugar substitutes (aspartame anyone?).
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #39

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
OK, to make a crazy turn back onto the original topic (sorry, forgive me):

How well do non-heat dependent appliances work such as a small blender and/or juicer? These are the two I would be most interested in (besides a good fan). Anyone have experience?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #40

Montana
I'd like to know that too. I've considered using a lithium battery cordless drill for blending since you could recharge it like once a month when you have a 110 plug, and it would be useful for other tasks, but sounds messy and possible dangerous.

Already switched to a hand-crank coffee grinder so don't need an electric one of those anymore. Even at home, it's quieter.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorky View Post
... I've considered using a lithium battery cordless drill for blending since you could recharge it like once a month when you have a 110 plug, and it would be useful for other tasks, but sounds messy and possible dangerous...
Well, if you don't mind your power tools smelling like margaritas...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #42

Montana
Actually, I'll bet with the proper adapter you could spin the blade of your standard blender with a cordless drill. The standard blender I have at home has a carafe/blade with a square hole that fits the square peg of the motor/base. So a square peg of the same size in a cordless drill would operate blender like normal.