12 volt appliances - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maryland View Post
Reading up on 'em, it turns out the Jensen TVs have a bad reputation. Poor quality and lousy service. So, now I'm looking at Majestics.
Lots of good toys at Roadtrucker.com . Really like the 12V RCA tele with DVD player I picked up there - wide viewing angles.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #58

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
The best 12v cooking device out there is the Max Burton Digital Stove to Go. Hands down, it rocks.
The non stick coating is long gone from the bottom of the removable pan too, but that's also not an issue for me.
Highly recommended by me as far as 12v cooking items go.
Well, it might be highly recommended by you, but then, I don't subscribe to eating carcinogenic PTFE (Teflon) flakes in my food. FWIW, I don't, and never will, own a teflon coated pan. If you like eating teflon flakes, go right ahead, but it's not in my diet.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #59

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well, it might be highly recommended by you, but then, I don't subscribe to eating carcinogenic PTFE (Teflon) flakes in my food. FWIW, I don't, and never will, own a teflon coated pan. If you like eating teflon flakes, go right ahead, but it's not in my diet.
You are about ten years behind the times. Suggest you read up on this topic.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #60

Washington
Registry
You can eat all the teflon you want Glenn. It's just not a part of my diet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/teflon-c...ly-carcinogen/

And how about this from 2016, not exactly ten years ago.
http://www.salon.com/2016/01/04/tefl...egacy_partner/

Perhaps you should do a little reading...

None of this has anything to do with the original post regarding 12 volt appliances, so we digress...
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #61

British Columbia
I'll call your websites and raise you this:

Blue Shift: Will Cooking in a Nonstick Pan Give You Cancer? | The Sweethome

The Wirecutter reviews all sorts of stuff you might buy and is well respected. Of course you can find any answer you want by searching the web, so not much point in continuing. Those who want more info can check out Cook's Country site, The Wirecutter or dozens of others.

BTW, it's also used in joint replacement, so I hope you don't have new knees.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #62

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'll call your websites and raise you this:

Blue Shift: Will Cooking in a Nonstick Pan Give You Cancer? | The Sweethome

The Wirecutter reviews all sorts of stuff you might buy and is well respected. Of course you can find any answer you want by searching the web, so not much point in continuing. Those who want more info can check out Cook's Country site, The Wirecutter or dozens of others.

BTW, it's also used in joint replacement, so I hope you don't have new knees.
Well, thankfully, I still have all my original joints, although who knows for how long, but that aside, I still subscribe to not having teflon in my dietary regimen. For those that do, it's their personal choice. Just don't kill any bird friends you may have as pets by overheating teflon pans when they are around. It is well documented that the fumes from teflon when heated above 500 degrees are often fatal to our avian buddies.

And, as I like to sear my steaks over insanely hot temperatures for the Maillard effect on a great medium rare rib steak, (wherein teflon goes to pot at around 500 degrees,) it makes a good argument for cast iron. I have always liked cooking with cast iron. But that's just me.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #63

British Columbia
Yup. Instructions are not to overheat.
Just like we're told not to drive 100 mph in the oncoming lane.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #64

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
A quick one. I use in it and the crockpot.
Can of mushroom soup hand full or so of rice a couple chicken piece. Add cup or so water. Just same as if in regular crockpot. �� add some other spices as liked.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #65

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I have little and less use for 12 volt appliances EXCEPT for my 12 volt travel coffee percolator. Has a regular 110 volt shore power plug and adapter that allows use with 12 volt. Found one at garage sale (in avocado green) and another in a Salvation Army thrift store (harvest gold). Those colors give one an idea of age.

I couldn't and wouldn't use it all the time on 12 volt, and certainly limit the use off grid but the big stainless one on the Coleman stove takes a good while to perk so on shore power it comes out for the first cup of the morning. Off grid I would say it is fine for the morning I'm leaving, or if traveling and stop someplace for the night. And if weather is really bad I can at least not be trapped in a small trailer going through coffee withdrawal with some one else doing the same thing.

Fantastic or MaxxAir fans are the other good 12 volt appliance to have installed.

I'll have to look into that pressure cooker that looks like it has possibilities. I cook outside, I would eat cold food and snack before I would really cook inside, might heat something up or boil water but it would require some pretty lousy weather and enough wind that I couldn't rig a tarp.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #66

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita FD17
Texas
12 volt wall fan attatching to wall

Can anyone recommend a 12 volt fan that attaches to the wall and can be redirected in any direction.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #67

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Can anyone recommend a 12 volt fan that attaches to the wall and can be redirected in any direction.
Richard,

Hella marine fans are one of the best known smaller ones. I bought one and think it's OK. I actually screwed the fan's bracket to a small piece of 3/4" plywood to use as a base. I'm reluctant to drill holes in the trailer until I am sure that something is going to be essential as these trailers are too small to carry things that aren't essential.

There another fan used in RVs that is more of a box fan, but the name escapes me. Someone else will chime in soon.

Some alternatives to Hella are noted here on a boat forum:

Hella fans alternative - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #68

Name: David
Trailer: Definitely looking!
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
There another fan used in RVs that is more of a box fan, but the name escapes me. Someone else will chime in soon.
You might be thinking about the Fan-Tastic Box Fan.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #69
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
O2 Cool. They sell them at Walmart. Doesn't attach to the wall but it's hard to beat the price, about $20. They are designed to run on D cells which don't last long, but they have a 12v input. You need a cord to connect to your 12v source.

Name:   20170115_080000.png
Views: 60
Size:  128.7 KB

This is the 10" version.