12 volt appliances - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
12V, 120V or propane; they all produce heat, which is what you want. It's just that some are more efficient than others.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #22

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Instead of a microwave, a lot of things can be re-heated in a pot with a cover, with some oil or butter, on a very low flame.
I use small amount of water instead of oil or butter, it's much more healthy, no saturated fats from the heated oil.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I use small amount of water instead of oil or butter, it's much more healthy, no saturated fats from the heated oil.
My wife and I are in the other camp. We think saturated fats are the most healthy kind, and some fat is necessary for the body to thrive. Butter, lard, and coconut oil are regular parts of our diet. I've heard that heart disease was relatively uncommon until the 1920s, when people started eating Crisco (which was originally for candle making, but as electricity became common the mfr had to reinvent their product).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #24

Recent studies say butter is good for you.
Bonus. It tastes good and makes cooked foods taste good.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:05 AM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Just be sensible and don't turn the flame up to a blazing high. Remember you are in control of the knob and you are not an idiot so you won't get into trouble with it.

Advice to a newbie...this is an example of over thinking situations before you try them. Just go with the flow and see how you like it before you go out and spend money on appliances you might not need.

I vote for simple foods that don't need much cooking time except Bar-B-Q, that I will take the time for and you are not going to be cooking it indoors
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How right you are!
The so-called nutritional science is another one of those rife with fraud, deception and fear mongering. Why should we be afraid of things that we ate for millennia and that allowed us to become a successful species? Variety and moderation is my rule.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
The result of any study or research depends on who pays for that study/research
Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
The result of any study or research depends on who pays for that study/research
Which raises the question, 'who paid for the study that said butter was bad'?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Which raises the question, 'who paid for the study that said butter was bad'?
Probably hyped by the same people who brought you "margarine." As far as arterial and coronary damage and related health problems go, these issues were not very common at all until the advent of margarine to replace real butter during the shortages back during WW-II. Butter has been made and eaten for thousands of years, ever since the early domestication of milk producing animals. It wasn't until margarine came along that all these health problems started rearing their ugly heads. If you look at the chemical composition of margarine, it very closely resembles the molecular structure of plastics, some of which are only a molecule away. Butter remains in liquid solution in your bloodstream because it stays melted at body temperature. Margarine turns to a waxy plaque in your arteries. I'll keep my butter, you can eat the pseudo-plastic margarine if you want. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
...If you look at the chemical composition of margarine, it very closely resembles the molecular structure of plastics, some of which are only a molecule away. Butter remains in liquid solution in your bloodstream because it stays melted at body temperature. Margarine turns to a waxy plaque in your arteries. I'll keep my butter, you can eat the pseudo-plastic margarine if you want. Just my 2 cents.
That explains the original name that the marketing department rejected...
Attached Thumbnails
plastic.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
It is my understanding that if margarine is left out "in the air" nothing (i.e., mold, mildew, bacteria) will grow on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2016, 06:06 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I'd rather have the saturated fat , it tastes a lot better !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I'd rather have the saturated fat , it tastes a lot better !!
Is it gluten free?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Is it gluten free?
Yes and nut ,peanut ,soy , etc etc etc free.
Being alergic to gluten is the new disease du jour taking over from peanut allergy., who took over from lactose intolerance. All of which evidenrly are highly contagious .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #35

Friend of ours teaches in a low-income school. She noted that poor kids did not have peanut allergies.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It is my understanding that if margarine is left out "in the air" nothing (i.e., mold, mildew, bacteria) will grow on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
That, in and of itself, should be a "red flag" to margarine. It's not even food. Put it another way, if whatever you are eating is doesn't go bad, it's not food.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #37

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
That, in and of itself, should be a "red flag" to margarine. It's not even food. Put it another way, if whatever you are eating is doesn't go bad, it's not food.
We are way off topic, but what the heck. In his book Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey gives advice to a lost, parched desert hiker: don't ever drink out of those clear and pristine puddles. Look for those that are teeming with bugs. The first ones are sterilized with arsenic!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #38

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
I think I can arbitrate a little between the pro-butter and anti-butter.

For starters, there's nothing wrong with saturated fats in general and they won't cause heart disease or any other disease in an otherwise healthy person on their own.

But, you're generally getting your saturated fat from butter that comes from a big dairy operation pumping millions of tons of low-cost feeds, medications, and antibiotics into its cows to make more milk faster. Any toxins and hormones left over from the strange feeds, herbicides, pesticides, and medication will be stored primarily in the animal's fat and the fat in the milk it makes (butter).

So unless you're eating butter from some sort of rare organic grass-fed cow (like one grazing in your weed-covered back-yard) or equivalent coconut butter, you'll be getting a higher concentration of industrial food toxins the more animal fat you eat.

So in that case it might be healthier and way cheaper to cook with water. It's not like most of us need more calories unless we're doing marathons or something. Goes without saying you should avoid any other weird fat or oil substitutes, same as weird sugar substitutes (aspartame anyone?).
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #39

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
OK, to make a crazy turn back onto the original topic (sorry, forgive me):

How well do non-heat dependent appliances work such as a small blender and/or juicer? These are the two I would be most interested in (besides a good fan). Anyone have experience?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #40

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
I'd like to know that too. I've considered using a lithium battery cordless drill for blending since you could recharge it like once a month when you have a 110 plug, and it would be useful for other tasks, but sounds messy and possible dangerous.

Already switched to a hand-crank coffee grinder so don't need an electric one of those anymore. Even at home, it's quieter.
Gorky is offline   Reply With Quote