12 volt appliances - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

Name: Shelia
Trailer: Wannabe owner
Texas
12 volt appliances

Do you use any 12 volt appliances? If so, which ones and how do you like it?

I'm somewhat nervous about open flames in such a small space. I can use an induction burner when I'm plugged in but have wondered about the various 12 volt appliances I've seen for sale. Lunchbox stove, crock pot, etc.

What's your opinion?

Roger Kimble - you have 12 volt burners or do you mean you cook with all those 12 volt appliances?
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
TV, CD player, Fan, We use our cook stove all the time, No problems at all, We have a pressure cooker, we use, pots and pans coffee pot, tea kettle, all the time.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check at truck stops for 12 volt appliances.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
It has been my experience that most 12 volt appliances do not perform anywhere near as well as their 120 volt counterparts. For example, 12 volt drip coffee maker I tried took 18 minutes to brew 2 cups. One of my acquaintances threw away a 12 volt crockpot after 1 use. Said it was not worth bothering to wash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
By 'appliance' I assume you mean something that will cook your dinner. To deliver the same power that a gas burner or 120 VAC cook top delivers, you need 12 Volt wiring that has ten times the cross section of the 120 VAC wires. I would not think it feasible if the trailer has not been wired for it. And don't forget the battery requirements. All of that adds a lot of weight.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

Truckers use the 12 volt appliances and since they have hours of driving a crock pot may be just the thing to use.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We use gas to cook with, 12v appliances do not work well, and take to much voltage to run
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Truckers use the 12 volt appliances and since they have hours of driving a crock pot may be just the thing to use.
Yup and most truckers have or leave their trucks running when using them.

As others have said 12v appliances such as toasters, crock pots etc use up a LOT more power than most of us are willing to give up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: Kate & Mark
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
We have and have used the "Lunch box" look oven, makes great meat loaf. Would only use it while on shore power or while driving as all that heat uses a lot of power.
Mark P49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

Carol, You are absolutely correct. They cook using the crockpot while driving.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
You'd be better off just wrapping the food up in tin foil and sticking it on your TV's engine to cook. 12 volt appliances are a waste of time and money, period.

If you don't want 120 volt appliances, then get propane ones. At least you'll be able to eat the same day you start cooking...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #12

Saw a Boy Scout leader that had a contraption connected to the exhaust pipe and he would cook stuff in that oven device and other stuff on the engine manifold.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Truck Cookbook:
Put the roast in the crockpot in San Diego, check it in Denver and have something to eat when you get to StLouis.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I guess my fridge qualifies as an appliance, and it works very well on 12 volts because it's made for it.
Most of those common cooking appliances that you have at home must be left behind, unless you can count on shore power, or have a heck of a solar array with all the expensive parts that go along with it, or you use a generator .

Some alternatives:

Non-electric coffee makers such as the French Press and Melita, or cowboy coffee in a saucepan. I prefer my AeroPress: https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Cof.../dp/B0047BIWSK

Non-electric thermal cookers as an alternative to a crock pot. I've never tried one, but people rave about them: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_390vcqtlvp_b

Even a little toaster uses quite a bit of power. I've found that toast made in a frying pan is pretty good. Just butter it first.

Instead of a microwave, a lot of things can be re-heated in a pot with a cover, with some oil or butter, on a very low flame.

Most small trailers don't have ovens, including mine, but I use the Camp Chef Oven, placed just inside the tail gate of my truck, for pizza, muffins, biscuits, etc. Camp Chef Outdoor Double Burner Propane Gas Range and Stove-COVEN - The Home Depot
I highly recommend it.

Happy cooking!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Coffee in an old fashioned percolator on the gas stove (inside or outside as conditions dictate) is a great solution. RV dealerships sell toasters that sit on the campfire or gas stove. We have used both for years and they work very well.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Only my Endlesss Breeze fan and my Engel fridge, both very worthwhile. We make coffee with a small Melitta, or an old Revere percolator. I like propane for any heating tasks. YMMV and all that; but propane does its job very well compared to batteries.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

Name: Shelia
Trailer: Wannabe owner
Texas
Thanks for the honest replies. And good suggestions. So maybe the answer is to use the regular appliances when on shore power and refrigerate the leftovers for boon docking. Or maybe save a 12 volt for when I have a long drive ahead of me.

What about a 12 volt electric blanket or bunk warmer? For those nights when it turns chilly? 12 volt fans?
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
For a warm bed, check out the ElectroWarmth 12v mattress pad. Heat rises, so a heat source under you is more efficient than a heat source above you. Our family had these pads on most of the bed mattresses in our home when I was growing up. I have one now for the trailer, but to tell the truth it's still in the package; I've been plenty warm in bed even when it's down to 40 degrees, thanks to 2" of memory foam under me and 3 layers of acrylic blanket overtop.

When it's hot in the trailer, a Fantastic Fan or Maxx Fan built into the vent will move large amounts of air even at low speed. The fan set to draw air out through the vent causes outside air to flow in through the windows. With a window or two (or another vent) opened above the bed, you get a soothing, constant breeze while you sleep.

Both of these items are fairly low amp draw and are well worth having.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
For 12V fans there's the excellent Endless Breeze, and then there's O2 Cool and other battery/12v fans. Wife makes do with the HotHands-type chemical heat packs in lieu of an electric blanket. Making heat with 12V is not usually practical, unfortunately, though some here will give you a better report on 12V electric blankets.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia View Post
...I'm somewhat nervous about open flames in such a small space...
I'm not judging. Different things worry different people despite how unlikely a problem. However, thousands, if not millions of people have cooked over open flame for years. Still, taking precautions such as not having window curtains where they can blow over the stove, or perhaps not wearing your formal elbow-length white gloves while cooking are reasonable precautions.

If one thought they were accident prone I suppose that would be reason to avoid an open flame. But accident prone people probably shouldn't be towing a trailer either.

Many people claim to never have cooked inside their trailer. Perhaps an option for you too. Are you less nervous about a camping stove on the end of the picnic table?

Or stick to sandwiches and cold pizza slices (I've heard it's great for breakfast ) and iced coffee or iced tea.

The long range planning to queue up a crock pot meal for a time much later just doesn't fit my sense of camping so they're not for me.

I was nervous the first time I towed the trailer out of the driveway (the trailer was delivered to me). I hardly had a second thought the second time. In broader terms, it's surprising what you can get used to.

I'm firmly in the camp (pun intended) that feels that 12v cooking appliances are largely useless. But still, good luck in your search.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote