17 years - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Campground we're in, Grand Codroy RV is one of the best in NL. They gave us a little flag for Canada day. Saturday we'll watch fireworks in the little town of Codroy, population 50, compete with hot dogs and hamburgers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
We'll be going up around the back side of Tioga pass in a few days. The eastern entrance to Yosemite that has just been opened because of the tremendous amount of snow this Year. We've also been out looking at the outrageous river flows. It's breathtaking.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #23

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Thank you Ginny and Norm for sharing your "wanderful" experiences with us.

I'll take this opportunity to wish you both an early, "Happy Birthday"!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This thread has been edited to remove several long running 'side discussions' that were derailing the main subject. While some debate is acceptable, long running debates/arguments violate the FGRV Community rules. Lets all do our part to keep this thread on track. thanks much
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Thank you Ginny and Norm for sharing your "wanderful" experiences with us.

I'll take this opportunity to wish you both an early, "Happy Birthday"!
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Of course we'd like to live forever, it's the only way we'd get to see it all. It's funny, we've now spent 16 months in Newfoundland, and rarely more than a week anywhere, however every trip we find more to explore.

Here's one for you from a Newfoundlander.

"In England they drive on the left side of the road, in the USA they drive on the right side of the road, in Newfoundland they drive on what's left of the road.'

It was a particularly bad year for potholes this year in Newfoundland.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #26

Florida
Next week we enter the 7th month of our 17th year on the road. Seven months is our average time on the road in each year. We began our journeys on 9/11/2001. I still remember entering my mother's yard and her telling me about the first plane crashing into the twin towers.

Appropriately Ginny and I just finished the book 'The Day The World Came to Town', about how the residents of Gander responded to the emergency.

So much has transpired since we began so many wonderful adventures, people and places. A little shockingly our oldest son is beginning his life as a full timer. We helped him prepare a route to FL based upon Ginny's log books covering 17 years.

It was fun for us. It's amazing how much one remembers.

It:'s clear there are different kinds of memories. Full timing like we do results in two people memories because it's mostly just the two of us. I imagine some day when we're older We' ll go through those logs and develop a simultaneous smile with out a word said.

In the last few years since the Newfoundland caravan we've done a little more traveling with others. I imagine there will be some of that coming up with our children. I suppose this suggest a life transition of some sort, a happy one i'm sure, our kids and their wives are joyful people and have seen the fun we've had. As well the grand kids all approve of our live style, even our Doctor envies our life.

I admit it started as an innocent short term adventure of 3 years, fortunately we recognized the benefits and embraced what was unimaginable when we started.

The problem with full timing is it requires embracing by usually two, it requires a measure of change, a measure of personal extension, of seeing new opportunities, of surrendering part of your past, giving up some measure of old hobbies and looking for new.

I often mention becoming more child like, looking at everything with wonder. One time when I was a mayor we rented a steam train for a town trip. The tracks paralleled a road we had driven 100s of times but from the train it was like we had never driven it before. One other experience like this was when my business partners bought me a bike. I road it 15 miles back and forth to work. Though I had driven the same road many times for years, from the bike it was a totally new road. It seems your perspective is important, flying from NY to Seattle is way different that driving. Taking 4 month to drive to Seattle from NY to Seattle is more wondrous then doing it in 2 weeks. Driving Route 2 across the country in 4 months is better than following I-90. One can have many perspective points in life.

There is safety and a measure of simplicity in a repetitive life, however we find even when we visit the same place 7 times like little Port Orford, Oregon, pop. 1,100 there's always something new to discover. It turns out we've changed, we now see with the eyes of children. Walking hand in hand, looking to delight each other with the wonder about, looking to share our discoveries. Marvelously one son and his wife have begun their adventure with better planning then we did.

In no way am I suggesting it's easy for all. I am a very flexible person, almost Chameleon like and Ginny loves me very much and is happy to be with me, always having confidence that life will work out.

Suddenly I feel excessive however, this how it's worked for us. Love to all, hoping you find happiness in what ever you do.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #27

Name: Iris
Trailer: Scamp
California
Love it

I live full-time in my 13 but Scamp, 1996. I love it it gives me the freedom to travel with or without the trailer and I keep finding I need a lesson last things.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
stories

I for one love your stories

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #29

Florida
Back

Ginny and I have been in Florida since the hurricane, initially to help out, now to escape northern weather. This year our son joined us in the park as a member, retiring this summer.

He and his wife,Laurie, during their working years have camped for a number of years in their ancient Scamp 13. Now they are true fulltimers with their home base in the FL Escapee Park.

This spring we plan to travel to Newfoundland with them. All pretty exciting for us as parents.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Norm! It is good to hear from you and Ginny again!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Glad to hear your camping genes have been passed onto another generation...stay healthy.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #32

Florida
The whole family

As well, our youngest son just bought a trailer and tow vehicle. He also owns a lot in our Escapee park and started a new job where he can take significant time, planning to spend a month in Florida next year.

They all have the road in their blood.

I know it's not for everyone but we love being on the road. We're 75 now and hope for another 10 road years. Beyond our regular park life, Ginny and I built a Pickleball court last spring and it's paying off this year. A lot of people are playing. It's a great social game with a reasonable level of exercise for our life.

Nice to hear from you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16