17 years - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
17 years

We've been 'fulltiming' for 17 years, almost 1/3rd of our married life. Presently we're in Newfoundland approaching our 75th birthdays. It's amazing to me how well we've doing, hiking all over the place in the midst of an absolutely great iceberg year on Fogo Island Newfoundland. We're told the best iceberg year in 80+ years.

Full timing has made our lives healthier physically and mentally. It's been a marvelous life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
That is awesome Norm and Ginny. We hope to be able to emulate you two eventually
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
[QUOTE=hiking all over the place in the midst of an absolutely great iceberg year on Fogo Island Newfoundland. We're told the best iceberg year in 80+ years.

Full timing has made our lives healthier physically and mentally. It's been a marvelous life.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's why they changed "Global warming to Climate change"

Congratulations on your good times together.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Florida
We've come to Fogo Island on our last three trips to Newfoundland. Each year has been ice record setting in one way or the other.

On the ferry trip to Fogo the entire trip was ice packed. When we got there there was ice to the horizon with icebergs mixed amounts them. Canada had a 17 million dollar race scientists climate change cruise to the Arctic. It had to be canceled too much ice.

Lilac are just beginning to bloom. This is the first week fisherman can clear their Harbors.

It was absolutely beautiful. Any where you go on the island there was a 100 major icebergs in your view. We've been coming for 8 years/2 months each time and have seen nothing like this year. Have to come back next year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
All those icebergs in the south are the result of climate change, warmer temperatures in the Arctic, which is where they come from.
Just because you have a snowball in your pocket, doesn't mean the world isn't warming.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
17 years

I am sure the bergs are impressive.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've come to Fogo Island on our last three trips to Newfoundland. Each year has been ice record setting in one way or the other.

On the ferry trip to Fogo the entire trip was ice packed. When we got there there was ice to the horizon with icebergs mixed amounts them. Canada had a 17 million dollar race scientists climate change cruise to the Arctic. It had to be canceled too much ice.

Lilac are just beginning to bloom. This is the first week fisherman can clear their Harbors.

It was absolutely beautiful. Any where you go on the island there was a 100 major icebergs in your view. We've been coming for 8 years/2 months each time and have seen nothing like this year. Have to come back next year.
Always glad to follow your trips. They sound delightful.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Glad you found your fountain of youth, any pictures you can share?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim we have 100s of pictures of icebergs, unfortunately I think they're all too many pixels for this site.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2017, 05:37 AM   #10

Florida
I'll send some to you personally later in the day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 AM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Glad to see you two are still out there having fun!!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #12

Florida
We were just laughing about all the Scamp fun. Yesterday it was Tilt Cove on the Baie Verte Peninsula, the smallest town in Canada, population 4.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim I sent you 9 pictures hope you received them. Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM   #14

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Looked up Newfoundland and area. Where do you camp when you visit there? It looks like an interesting place to visit. Also, what Scamp 16 model do you have? And does it keep you warm enough when you camp--which I'm sure it does. Do you use your camper to shower in or is the water affected when you visit such cold areas. You know, any freezing problems. Thanks.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #15

Florida
Looked up Newfoundland and area. Where do you camp when you visit there? It looks like an interesting place to visit. Also, what Scamp 16 model do you have? And does it keep you warm enough when you camp--which I'm sure it does. Do you use your camper to shower in or is the water affected when you visit such cold areas. You know, any freezing problems. Thanks.

We have a Scamp 16, I think layout 4 with a side bath and a front couch. I have modified our Scamp extensively for our travels, we're on the road 7 months of the year. You can see it under my name "Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16"

We do not use the shower in the trailer. Campground showers are more practical. NL Provincial Parks and Canadian National Parks generally have great showers. A night with electricity in a Provincial Park is $15US.

Seven our trips to NL have begun in early May and end typically in early July. That is a cooler time of the year but not crowded by people or bugs. We usually go in May to attend a Music Festival in Gros Morne, a great National Park. You could spend a month and not see it all.

This year we had 14 inches of snow while in Gros morne in about 24 hours. We carry an electric blanket and a small electric heater. Most of the time the electric blanket is enough.

Though it sometimes goes below freezing, it's never been far below freezing and not for long. We've never had the water freeze. (Note sunrise is very early. The other day we were up at 4:30 AM and it was bright and it's light to nearly 10PM.

It's more than an interesting place to visit, it's the best.If you want a kick, order a copy of the NL Tourist Bureaus NL Guide and Map.

Glad to answer questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #16

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it. I'm interested in visiting Canada, especially Quebec city and surrounding area. I will look into getting the travel information you suggested.

Got it! The information can be downloaded from the travel site.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #17

Florida
Most of the time when people are referring to Arctic melting, they are referring to the Arctic Oceans melting and not Greenland. According to most global warming professionals, the Arctic Ocean was projected to have ice free summers well by now and it hasn't happened.

As to Arctic ice free predictions, a number of expeditions have attempted a Canadian Northwest passage with failure. As to the Antarctic, they do produce icebergs and while the Arctic has loss ice coverage due to melting the Antarctic has had record ice years, as well.

For me the reality is Newfoundland has had a record ice year for at least 3 of the last 4 years. It's almost June and spring has just come and fisherman are just leaving their Harbors. Icebergs result from the flow of ice and not the melting of ice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2017, 02:44 AM   #18

Florida
This should be of interest. 3 years ago there were 8 blue whales were in the strait of Bell Isle between the island of Newfoundland and Labrador. They were diving for food, when they attempted to surface the ice had frozen and/or moved over them. The ice was so thick they could not surface. They drowned. There backs were all bruised by trying to crash thru the ice. One 80 foot specimen ended up on the beach in Rocky Harbour where we were staying, two others were nearby, a shocking Bic ture of that year's stay.

And the results of the 'warming debate' will take care of itself.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 AM   #19

Florida
Here's a less controversial tale of Newfoundland. Our last two days we re-explored parts of Newfoundland's Baie Verte Peninsulas, a rich mining area. We spent a day in Tilt Cove. In 1864 they discovered a huge copper, gold, zinc deposit that was mined for over 60 years. The town grew to 1500, only reachable by boat. Now the town is down to two couples. It's fun to explore this desserted place, just picking up multicolored stone's is fun. Next year I hope to take our little Scamp down their winding dirt road and spend a week wandering the mine, cemetery, slag piles, abandoned buildings and getting to know the 4 inhabitants. There is so much to see. Here's a fact. To get 2 grams of gold they needed to process a ton of ore. It's impressive that it's possible to do that task.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #20

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Congratulations on your 17 years of Scamping. I am impressed that you have embraced the Canadian Maritimes so heartily. Although I have traveled most of Canada, the delights of Newfoundland are still to come. You are giving me itchy feet with your posts. Have a great Canada Day on Saturday!
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote