19 vs. 21 Escape...? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,299
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As I write this, the exchange rate for CDN is 76 cents to $1 USD. That's like buying a $30,000 trailer for $22,800 for US buyers!
For US buyers who've always thought an Escape 19 or 21 was slightly out of reach, that rate puts it in the same price range as the US made 17 footers. Well worth a look. Using that rate on our loaded and customized 2015 19 for example, the USD price would have been 27K.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #30
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,360
Registry
Escape has chosen to list a lot of items as options instead of just including everything, both to give the purchaser the option of whether or not to incorporate them, and to give them an idea of where the costs are coming from. If many of these items were included, they would likely lose a few customers that just look at the sticker price without really comparing to other brands what is included.

Remember, the base model is still VERY capable of taking camping and making memories with. I also believe that pricing of the options is very reasonable.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #31
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,481
I've always wanted heated mirrors on my car but refuse to pay for a sunroof, a bigger engine, and leather seats to get them. We are all better off to choose the options we want and pass on the options we don't. Escape and Scamp have the right idea.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,427
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #33
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,360
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
15.26% above list for me. To get to 30% you would need to choose almost every last option, and very few do that.

But, everything in life is a choice, and deciding whether something is of value to them or not, is for an individual to decide. For us, we feel the value of our Escape is well worth it, and we did not get the currency exchange savings either.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Posts: 1,373
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
Escape doesn't have a 'deluxe'. a base model Casita is *really* stripped, no bath, no hot water, no a/c, small water tank.

the water heater in my '08 SD16 is gas only.

we've not used the A/C in our SD16 even once. We don't have a/c at home, and hardly ever use it in our cars.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,675
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
15.26% above list for me. To get to 30% you would need to choose almost every last option, and very few do that.

But, everything in life is a choice, and deciding whether something is of value to them or not, is for an individual to decide. For us, we feel the value of our Escape is well worth it, and we did not get the currency exchange savings either.
Well, I managed to option my $31,800.00 base priced 21 to the tune of $43,574.89, so yes, you can spend a pile (although there are options on all brands of trailers, fiberglass or not). Still, that included a number of unlisted options such as dual solar panels, additional cabinetry, and almost every listed option.

The US $ was $33,890.64. Yes, more than my first house ($22,000 US in 1970, and I still live there - current value according to Zillow $101K), and more than my last 3 vehicles, but well worth it to me. Still tens of thousands less than an Oliver or Bigfoot, and pretty much a trailer custom built for my way of traveling. As I type, I'm baking a blueberry pie for the Green Eggs & Ham rally in the (optional) oven!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Yep, but of course it would be interesting to know what you paid, and what such a home is worth today on the open market. Our house has appreciated over 50% in the (almost) 21 years we've owned it.

But you have a point anyway since molded FG trailer prices have risen faster than typical housing (hot markets not included), due in part to the raw material costs (petroleum products included) and due in part to supply & demand.

I find it interesting that I could buy a 25' true 4-season stick trailer with R-29 ceiling insulation, 65 gallon fresh water tank, shock absorbers, and both a dinette and a sofa... for less than the cost of a similarly optioned 17' Escape. If anything, conventional travel trailer prices have risen more slowly than housing.
__________________
I'm just one step away from being

filthy rich. All I need now is money.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,299
Registry
Yep, but then you have a big sticky Mike. And it's value will plunge faster than a rock off the south rim. Everything has it's tradeoffs.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #38
Member
 
Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
We owned a Casita and now an Escape. Both have standard equipment and options that are different. The Escape awning and furnace are standard equipment. On the Casita the options are almost $2000.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #39
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Interesting...

I do like the fact I can pick and choose, and almost everything is an “option” on the escape. When I see the breakdown, I get a little nauseous. But, it’s a very good way of winnowing “wants” from “needs.” I don’t think it’s fair to compare casitas, escapes, and bigfoot trailers. The only thing they have in common is a fiberglass shell. When I looked at my option list while building my (thus far) imaginary escape and saw the bottom line, I decided licketysplit I didn’t “need” the LED light option for the awning. I really feel the “need” for those aluminum wheels, though...
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We owned a Casita and now an Escape. Both have standard equipment and options that are different. The Escape awning and furnace are standard equipment. On the Casita the options are almost $2000.
And if they were an option on the Escape then one could choose not to buy them. The more choice the better as far as I'm concerned. Of course my new pick up has crank up windows and manual locks.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Civilguy's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Did any of you struggle with choosing a specific Escape size? What are the cons to the 21’? Is there more storage, less, or about equal? Please give me all your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!
Ramona,

We owned a Casita FD17 and wanted to upsize. We spent a great deal of time and thought analyzing and reviewing our options, informed by our experience with the Casita. It was very clear that it is was going to be a choice between the 19 and the 5.0 TA.

We then visited the showroom in Chilliwack and quickly determined that the 21 best suited us. We liked the bed arrangement in the 5.0 TA but thought it somewhat short on storage as compared to the 21. Both the 5.0 and the 21 have nice counterspace. While some other people travel and live in even smaller trailers, the 19 just didn't seem to suit our vision for longer travels.

So much of this will be up to you to determine what sort of travel you have in mind, what sort of tow vehicle you have or will acquire, and what suits you personally. I agree with the suggestions to see and compare anything you want to consider. I don't think that doing a comparison on paper (or on the Internet) provides the same appreciation as seeing them in person.
__________________
- "I am not here for grammer lesson's" -
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #42
Member
 
Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
Wow 😱 I get to be a 1%er cause I own an Escape 🤯 Seems like quite an “assumption” 🤔 30-40% over base price, another assumption? Got mine the way I wanted it for 15% over base. Just saying😎
__________________

Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
escape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13' Escape for sale on the Escape owners forum Wallo Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 04-24-2014 09:56 AM
First Escape in our Escape! Penney H. & Mike E. General Chat 6 05-07-2009 05:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.