19 vs. 21 Escape...? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
19 vs. 21 Escape...?

Howdy all! I have finally been able to see a 19’ Escape in person thanks to a kind gentleman up in Portland. I got a good walk through and around, but I will be full timing (traveling RN) and am wondering about the 21’ instead. I feel like the 21’ is more open with the bed and bath at one end, instead of the bath being in the middle, like the 19’. I’ve haven’t been in the 21’ yet...

Here’s my situation: I was originally thinking of the 17’...Never towed anything. Ever. So I was thinking smaller is better, but I have had several people tell me that is not necessarily so. It’s me and the dog, so while the queen bed in the 19’ is nice, it’s not essential. I’ll get along fine on the slightly smaller bed in the 21’. The difference in cost is pretty negligible, so that’s not an issue. It boils down to towing and handling I think.

Did any of you struggle with choosing a specific Escape size? What are the cons to the 21’? Is there more storage, less, or about equal? Please give me all your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There are really endless threads on this dilemma over on the Escape forum. Some prefer the 19, others prefer the 21. Of course, you need to consider tow vehicle too.

There are probably 40 pages or more of discussion on this very topic. Search via google is the easiest approach IMHO escape forum 19 versus 21.

In my case, decision was easy as I have very limited storage space at home.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HAHAHAH Romona. Sorry I'm laughing. No trailer grows... I've gone from a 16' Scamp (13' cabin) to an Escape 5.0TA (20 foot cabin) that's SEVEN more feet of interior length and almost a foot in width. But overall when I'm hooked up, the full length from the rear bumper of the trailer to the front bumper of my truck is mere inches. I love my combo... SWOON! And ZERO regrets.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
There are really endless threads on this dilemma over on the Escape forum. Some prefer the 19, others prefer the 21. Of course, you need to consider tow vehicle too.

There are probably 40 pages or more of discussion on this very topic. Search via google is the easiest approach IMHO escape forum 19 versus 21.

Thanks, I’ll head over there.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #5

Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
HAHAHAH Romona. Sorry I'm laughing. No trailer grows... I've gone from a 16' Scamp (13' cabin) to an Escape 5.0TA (20 foot cabin) that's SEVEN more feet of interior length and almost a foot in width. But overall when I'm hooked up, the full length from the rear bumper of the trailer to the front bumper of my truck is mere inches. I love my combo... SWOON! And ZERO regrets.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Sounds like you have a sweet set-up
Old 03-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
as I am someone upgrading from a 16 foot Casita, take my opinions with a grain of salt.

We looked at an Escape 19, and I thought it would have worked for us, I liked the size for towing behind the tacoma (although I never towed it), but my wife really liked the semi-walkaround front queen bed setup on the 21. So, we ended up hauling a 21 back from Dallas home to the left coast, got home on New Years Eve.

It has the extra insulation and double pane windows and undercarriage foam, so its amazingly quiet inside even if you're overnighting at a truck stop, and on a 30F night, it required far less heater running than the Casita ever did. the 21 we bought has an oven, which we've already used 2 out of 3 nights, baking things we found at a market...

If it was just me, I'd be cool with the Casita 16, but or the two of us, its just too small. The Escape 21 will be 4000-4500 lbs when we tow it, and our Tacoma seems to pull it just fine. if I find a great deal on a clean low mile F250 ext.cab 7.3 diesel, I might get that, otherwise, I'll stick with the Taco.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We have, and love the 19, and prefer it over the 21 because we prefer the layout of the 19 over that of the 21. But I will have to say that we set foot in our first new 5.0TA last week, and we both feel in love. Prior to that, I had always said that the 19 would be our one and only trailer. But after being in the 5.0TA, now I can only say that the 19 will "probably" be our one and only
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #8

Name: bill
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Our first camper was a fifth wheel and we really like the layout of the Escape fifth wheel. We just can’t give up the bed of our truck right now. Fifth wheels tow really nice,, and I like the shorter overall length when hitched to my truck over a bumper pull trailer, despite the larger size of the trailer tub itself.

50/50 if we ever get another trailer it will be the Escape fifth wheel.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Hi, we are considering the same two Escapes. What we like about the 21' is that the dinning table is in the back. That way when backed back-in to a camping spot we would be ble to enjoy the view, NOT the back of our truck. We too have a dog traveling with us and although we have not seen a 21' there seems to be a space on the floor just behind the bed that looks like it could be a permanent place for a dog bed. As of now we have to put up our dog bed ASAP in the morning.
Just our thoughts
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
When I decided to upsize from my Escape 17B, The "wants" were a built in microwave, a full time 4 person dinette, the 6 cu ft, 2 door refrigerator, and an oven.

I tried the layout of all that in a 19, and while I preferred the size & layout of a reversed 19, I found I'd have little cabinet & drawer space with my requirements. I switched to a 21, and appreciate the larger counter space.

Since I had a rear storage box mounted on the 17, the 21 is only 1' longer than the 17. So far, it has worked well, although I'll admit I found one site over the last 222 days that I had to park the tow vehicle off the trailer site.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
as I am someone upgrading from a 16 foot Casita, take my opinions with a grain of salt.

We looked at an Escape 19, and I thought it would have worked for us, I liked the size for towing behind the tacoma (although I never towed it), but my wife really liked the semi-walkaround front queen bed setup on the 21. So, we ended up hauling a 21 back from Dallas home to the left coast, got home on New Years Eve.

It has the extra insulation and double pane windows and undercarriage foam, so its amazingly quiet inside even if you're overnighting at a truck stop, and on a 30F night, it required far less heater running than the Casita ever did. the 21 we bought has an oven, which we've already used 2 out of 3 nights, baking things we found at a market...

If it was just me, I'd be cool with the Casita 16, but or the two of us, its just too small. The Escape 21 will be 4000-4500 lbs when we tow it, and our Tacoma seems to pull it just fine. if I find a great deal on a clean low mile F250 ext.cab 7.3 diesel, I might get that, otherwise, I'll stick with the Taco.
Thanks for your input! I have been waffling about the oven...! If I were like most Escape owners, using the camper part time or for more lengthy trips, I’m quite sure the 19’ or a Casita would suffice, since it’s just me and a dog. But, I will be fulltiming, so living in it day after day, and don’t want to feel super cramped. I’ve been living in my Chevy express van for the past 6 months, so I know I can make do in a small space, but it’s not ideal. On paper, the 21’ looks roomier since there is no mid-bath. I need to get inside one to really feel it out.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
When I decided to upsize from my Escape 17B, The "wants" were a built in microwave, a full time 4 person dinette, the 6 cu ft, 2 door refrigerator, and an oven.

I tried the layout of all that in a 19, and while I preferred the size & layout of a reversed 19, I found I'd have little cabinet & drawer space with my requirements. I switched to a 21, and appreciate the larger counter space.

Since I had a rear storage box mounted on the 17, the 21 is only 1' longer than the 17. So far, it has worked well, although I'll admit I found one site over the last 222 days that I had to park the tow vehicle off the trailer site.
Good point about site length. I feel that may be an issue for me as well if I go with the 21’ since my tow vehicle is an extended wheel base express van. I agree that the extra storage and counter space are really sweet in the 21’. I talked to a rep today at Escape and they can really customize that storage tower by the front bed, which is another huge pro in my opinion. I don’t have a ton of stuff, but I need what I do have to be organized and easily accessible. One thing I’ve learned while living in my van is that it’s a real pain in the a$$ to move 3 or 4 things just to get what you want.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We have, and love the 19, and prefer it over the 21 because we prefer the layout of the 19 over that of the 21. But I will have to say that we set foot in our first new 5.0TA last week, and we both feel in love. Prior to that, I had always said that the 19 would be our one and only trailer. But after being in the 5.0TA, now I can only say that the 19 will "probably" be our one and only
I heard of someone with almost the exact same sentiments. Oh wait, that was me.

Of course I had one of the first 19's, #6 to be exact. It was to be our forever trailer. When the 21 came out we considered it, but when actually viewing one knew it wouldn't work for us with the be where it is, me an early riser coming and going, and my wife liking to sleep more.

Then came the 5.0TA and I think I knew right away this was the trailer for us. We then decided to go for it as soon as the new model came out, and have had it for a year now, and love it.

They are all great trailers in their own right, and the only way of truly knowing if it would work for you is to have a good look at both. It is actually nice to do with them side-by-side. A weekend trip to Vancouver, with a side trip to Chilliwack would make for a great time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #14

Florida
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Hi, we are considering the same two Escapes. What we like about the 21' is that the dinning table is in the back. That way when backed back-in to a camping spot we would be ble to enjoy the view, NOT the back of our truck. We too have a dog traveling with us and although we have not seen a 21' there seems to be a space on the floor just behind the bed that looks like it could be a permanent place for a dog bed. As of now we have to put up our dog bed ASAP in the morning.
Just our thoughts
I was feeling much like you regarding the dinette placement! But, yesterday I was talking to the nice guy who let me tour his 19’ and he mentioned that he really prefers the bed in the back because in most campgrounds, you’ll be less inclined to hear activity happening in the center of the park or on the “road” through the campground. I honestly never thought of that, and he made a good point. However, I think I would still prefer the dinette in back so I can look “out” of the camping area rather than “in” at potential neighbors or the butt end of my van. Regarding the dog, I’m pretty sure mine will claim her spot dead center of the bed! She’s spoiled like that
Old 03-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Our first camper was a fifth wheel and we really like the layout of the Escape fifth wheel. We just can’t give up the bed of our truck right now. Fifth wheels tow really nice,, and I like the shorter overall length when hitched to my truck over a bumper pull trailer, despite the larger size of the trailer tub itself.

50/50 if we ever get another trailer it will be the Escape fifth wheel.
Once I learned a bit more about fifth wheels, I was sorry I bought a van instead of a pick up. Pickups are my first love anyway, but I needed something to live out of in the cooler months when the dog could safely stay in the vehicle while I was working. But- more and more I wish I had purchased a nice Chevy 4x4 pickup. Then I would definitely have chosen the fifth wheel, hands down.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post

Are you saying that Escape will build a reversed layout 19'? I am curious, since the rear dinette is a plus for me.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Are you saying that Escape will build a reversed layout 19'? I am curious, since the rear dinette is a plus for me.
They certainly will, and have done it for a few people. The rear dinette then is massive, a full 60" deep by 80" wide. The bed is only 44" wide then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
They certainly will, and have done it for a few people. The rear dinette then is massive, a full 60" deep by 80" wide. The bed is only 44" wide then.
The last time I checked, it was a $500.00 Canadian option. Even if you add a "U" shaped dinette, you still have a large table...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #19

Name: Randy
California
19 0r 21 Escape

I like both of them, I decided to buy a used one whatever came up first and was a reasonable distant from me and priced fairly.

I have only used the 19 once and the only compliant I have is one person has to climb over the other to get out of bed.

Good Luck
Randyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyag View Post
I have only used the 19 once and the only compliant I have is one person has to climb over the other to get out of bed.

Good Luck
Not a problem, as long as the other person is also compliant.

Tags
escape