19 vs. 21 Escape...? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
19 vs. 21 Escape...?

Howdy all! I have finally been able to see a 19í Escape in person thanks to a kind gentleman up in Portland. I got a good walk through and around, but I will be full timing (traveling RN) and am wondering about the 21í instead. I feel like the 21í is more open with the bed and bath at one end, instead of the bath being in the middle, like the 19í. Iíve havenít been in the 21í yet...

Hereís my situation: I was originally thinking of the 17í...Never towed anything. Ever. So I was thinking smaller is better, but I have had several people tell me that is not necessarily so. Itís me and the dog, so while the queen bed in the 19í is nice, itís not essential. Iíll get along fine on the slightly smaller bed in the 21í. The difference in cost is pretty negligible, so thatís not an issue. It boils down to towing and handling I think.

Did any of you struggle with choosing a specific Escape size? What are the cons to the 21í? Is there more storage, less, or about equal? Please give me all your thoughts and opinions! Thanks!
__________________

Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Posts: 1,246
Registry
There are really endless threads on this dilemma over on the Escape forum. Some prefer the 19, others prefer the 21. Of course, you need to consider tow vehicle too.


There are probably 40 pages or more of discussion on this very topic. Search via google is the easiest approach IMHO escape forum 19 versus 21.

In my case, decision was easy as I have very limited storage space at home.
__________________

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,630
HAHAHAH Romona. Sorry I'm laughing. No trailer grows... I've gone from a 16' Scamp (13' cabin) to an Escape 5.0TA (20 foot cabin) that's SEVEN more feet of interior length and almost a foot in width. But overall when I'm hooked up, the full length from the rear bumper of the trailer to the front bumper of my truck is mere inches. I love my combo... SWOON! And ZERO regrets.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
There are really endless threads on this dilemma over on the Escape forum. Some prefer the 19, others prefer the 21. Of course, you need to consider tow vehicle too.


There are probably 40 pages or more of discussion on this very topic. Search via google is the easiest approach IMHO escape forum 19 versus 21.

In my case, decision was easy as I have very limited storage space at home.
Thanks, Iíll head over there.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
There are really endless threads on this dilemma over on the Escape forum. Some prefer the 19, others prefer the 21. Of course, you need to consider tow vehicle too.


There are probably 40 pages or more of discussion on this very topic. Search via google is the easiest approach IMHO escape forum 19 versus 21.

In my case, decision was easy as I have very limited storage space at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
HAHAHAH Romona. Sorry I'm laughing. No trailer grows... I've gone from a 16' Scamp (13' cabin) to an Escape 5.0TA (20 foot cabin) that's SEVEN more feet of interior length and almost a foot in width. But overall when I'm hooked up, the full length from the rear bumper of the trailer to the front bumper of my truck is mere inches. I love my combo... SWOON! And ZERO regrets.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Sounds like you have a sweet set-up
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Posts: 1,121
Registry
as I am someone upgrading from a 16 foot Casita, take my opinions with a grain of salt.


We looked at an Escape 19, and I thought it would have worked for us, I liked the size for towing behind the tacoma (although I never towed it), but my wife really liked the semi-walkaround front queen bed setup on the 21. So, we ended up hauling a 21 back from Dallas home to the left coast, got home on New Years Eve.

It has the extra insulation and double pane windows and undercarriage foam, so its amazingly quiet inside even if you're overnighting at a truck stop, and on a 30F night, it required far less heater running than the Casita ever did. the 21 we bought has an oven, which we've already used 2 out of 3 nights, baking things we found at a market...

If it was just me, I'd be cool with the Casita 16, but or the two of us, its just too small. The Escape 21 will be 4000-4500 lbs when we tow it, and our Tacoma seems to pull it just fine. if I find a great deal on a clean low mile F250 ext.cab 7.3 diesel, I might get that, otherwise, I'll stick with the Taco.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
GregandTeresa's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Posts: 215
We have, and love the 19, and prefer it over the 21 because we prefer the layout of the 19 over that of the 21. But I will have to say that we set foot in our first new 5.0TA last week, and we both feel in love. Prior to that, I had always said that the 19 would be our one and only trailer. But after being in the 5.0TA, now I can only say that the 19 will "probably" be our one and only
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Posts: 1,246
Registry
Our first camper was a fifth wheel and we really like the layout of the Escape fifth wheel. We just can’t give up the bed of our truck right now. Fifth wheels tow really nice,, and I like the shorter overall length when hitched to my truck over a bumper pull trailer, despite the larger size of the trailer tub itself.

50/50 if we ever get another trailer it will be the Escape fifth wheel.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Posts: 118
Registry
Hi, we are considering the same two Escapes. What we like about the 21' is that the dinning table is in the back. That way when backed back-in to a camping spot we would be ble to enjoy the view, NOT the back of our truck. We too have a dog traveling with us and although we have not seen a 21' there seems to be a space on the floor just behind the bed that looks like it could be a permanent place for a dog bed. As of now we have to put up our dog bed ASAP in the morning.
Just our thoughts
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,592
Registry
When I decided to upsize from my Escape 17B, The "wants" were a built in microwave, a full time 4 person dinette, the 6 cu ft, 2 door refrigerator, and an oven.

I tried the layout of all that in a 19, and while I preferred the size & layout of a reversed 19, I found I'd have little cabinet & drawer space with my requirements. I switched to a 21, and appreciate the larger counter space.

Since I had a rear storage box mounted on the 17, the 21 is only 1' longer than the 17. So far, it has worked well, although I'll admit I found one site over the last 222 days that I had to park the tow vehicle off the trailer site.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
as I am someone upgrading from a 16 foot Casita, take my opinions with a grain of salt.


We looked at an Escape 19, and I thought it would have worked for us, I liked the size for towing behind the tacoma (although I never towed it), but my wife really liked the semi-walkaround front queen bed setup on the 21. So, we ended up hauling a 21 back from Dallas home to the left coast, got home on New Years Eve.

It has the extra insulation and double pane windows and undercarriage foam, so its amazingly quiet inside even if you're overnighting at a truck stop, and on a 30F night, it required far less heater running than the Casita ever did. the 21 we bought has an oven, which we've already used 2 out of 3 nights, baking things we found at a market...

If it was just me, I'd be cool with the Casita 16, but or the two of us, its just too small. The Escape 21 will be 4000-4500 lbs when we tow it, and our Tacoma seems to pull it just fine. if I find a great deal on a clean low mile F250 ext.cab 7.3 diesel, I might get that, otherwise, I'll stick with the Taco.
Thanks for your input! I have been waffling about the oven...! If I were like most Escape owners, using the camper part time or for more lengthy trips, Iím quite sure the 19í or a Casita would suffice, since itís just me and a dog. But, I will be fulltiming, so living in it day after day, and donít want to feel super cramped. Iíve been living in my Chevy express van for the past 6 months, so I know I can make do in a small space, but itís not ideal. On paper, the 21í looks roomier since there is no mid-bath. I need to get inside one to really feel it out.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
When I decided to upsize from my Escape 17B, The "wants" were a built in microwave, a full time 4 person dinette, the 6 cu ft, 2 door refrigerator, and an oven.

I tried the layout of all that in a 19, and while I preferred the size & layout of a reversed 19, I found I'd have little cabinet & drawer space with my requirements. I switched to a 21, and appreciate the larger counter space.

Since I had a rear storage box mounted on the 17, the 21 is only 1' longer than the 17. So far, it has worked well, although I'll admit I found one site over the last 222 days that I had to park the tow vehicle off the trailer site.
Good point about site length. I feel that may be an issue for me as well if I go with the 21í since my tow vehicle is an extended wheel base express van. I agree that the extra storage and counter space are really sweet in the 21í. I talked to a rep today at Escape and they can really customize that storage tower by the front bed, which is another huge pro in my opinion. I donít have a ton of stuff, but I need what I do have to be organized and easily accessible. One thing Iíve learned while living in my van is that itís a real pain in the a$$ to move 3 or 4 things just to get what you want.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,231
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We have, and love the 19, and prefer it over the 21 because we prefer the layout of the 19 over that of the 21. But I will have to say that we set foot in our first new 5.0TA last week, and we both feel in love. Prior to that, I had always said that the 19 would be our one and only trailer. But after being in the 5.0TA, now I can only say that the 19 will "probably" be our one and only
I heard of someone with almost the exact same sentiments. Oh wait, that was me.

Of course I had one of the first 19's, #6 to be exact. It was to be our forever trailer. When the 21 came out we considered it, but when actually viewing one knew it wouldn't work for us with the be where it is, me an early riser coming and going, and my wife liking to sleep more.

Then came the 5.0TA and I think I knew right away this was the trailer for us. We then decided to go for it as soon as the new model came out, and have had it for a year now, and love it.

They are all great trailers in their own right, and the only way of truly knowing if it would work for you is to have a good look at both. It is actually nice to do with them side-by-side. A weekend trip to Vancouver, with a side trip to Chilliwack would make for a great time.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
ďMost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.Ē ó Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Member
 
Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Posts: 39
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Hi, we are considering the same two Escapes. What we like about the 21' is that the dinning table is in the back. That way when backed back-in to a camping spot we would be ble to enjoy the view, NOT the back of our truck. We too have a dog traveling with us and although we have not seen a 21' there seems to be a space on the floor just behind the bed that looks like it could be a permanent place for a dog bed. As of now we have to put up our dog bed ASAP in the morning.
Just our thoughts
I was feeling much like you regarding the dinette placement! But, yesterday I was talking to the nice guy who let me tour his 19í and he mentioned that he really prefers the bed in the back because in most campgrounds, youíll be less inclined to hear activity happening in the center of the park or on the ďroadĒ through the campground. I honestly never thought of that, and he made a good point. However, I think I would still prefer the dinette in back so I can look ďoutĒ of the camping area rather than ďinĒ at potential neighbors or the butt end of my van. Regarding the dog, Iím pretty sure mine will claim her spot dead center of the bed! Sheís spoiled like that
__________________

Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
escape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13' Escape for sale on the Escape owners forum Wallo Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 04-24-2014 09:56 AM
First Escape in our Escape! Penney H. & Mike E. General Chat 6 05-07-2009 05:46 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.