A lot of changes come with Fulltiming - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #57

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
If one of you got the bug to go full time but the other did not, do you think you would of parted ways for a life on the road to explore? I guess what I'm getting at is, what's a bigger pull in your lives... the open road and exploring/experiencing something new each day or each other?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
If one of you got the bug to go full time but the other did not, do you think you would of parted ways for a life on the road to explore? I guess what I'm getting at is, what's a bigger pull in your lives... the open road and exploring/experiencing something new each day or each other?

Ginny's response:
Each other. All of life is a compromise. If you try fulltiming you may like it and enjoy each other and the traveling.

Norm's response: Each other is key. Life is a compromise and you see it in our travels. If I were totally independent we'd travel all year but Ginny needs relative recharging. She feels responsible to others all the time and needs to see them for a few months a year. If our niece is on vacation in Columbus, Ohio, every morning she'll check the weather in Columbus. She has a birthday card list that would make President Bush proud.

The reality is that alone I would own a place in Newfoundland for the summers but marriage is about compromise and sharing in everything. I have no complaints at all nor does she.

We had a seven year pre-marriage friendship through high school and college and really always liked each other.

When a friend died I came up with the idea of becoming RVers, we were 58. We were at the peak of our earnings. Ginny had never considered RVing and would not have considered it. I'm the one who goes off the beaten path and she's happy to let me. Ginny would have never decide to build a Geodesic dome or ....

Fortunately Ginny had everything she wanted in life by the time she was 26.. two healthy children, a man who loved her and a home. I did not find this out until I was much older, probably around 50 when she told me this.

The kids are gone, the house is being sold and she still got me. Ginny clearly says I am most important, more important than our children, parents or any relative. It's not that she doesn't love others immensely or show them real concern, but her focus is the two of us, happily for me.

Of late she's become even more protective of me, recognizing I'm older. She tries to restrict my level of physical activity and help me on projects. SHe's a real trooper.

Yes it's each other and we love our travels. It may be the each other that makes the travels so good.

Our neighbor is here for a month from Houston. He said to me yesterday the best part of retirement is time for each other. Not what we're doing but we're doing it together.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #59

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Getting Along

I suspect there are some who tire of descriptions of our happy road life. I can understand that feeling. I'm a person who gets carried away with joy. things that make me feel good.

I have a phone message from my 13 year old grand niece thanking me for a set books. I listen to it at least once a week because it's so rare to s hear that level of honest thankful joy.

To me spending time together is opportunity, just like a first date is opportunity, just like a marriage. Actually time together on the road is the best, closest extended time you will ever have.

It's an opportunity to be grasped.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltiming