A lot of changes come with Fulltiming - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
Hi Norm & Ginny,

Thanks for all the details. The more information and ideas we share with, and the more we listen to each other, the richer and fuller life is.

Sometimes a seemingly small detail can make a big positive change in one's life.

We will probably never be fulltimers, but your comments are really valuable to me. I'll be reading all that you post in this thread.

You talked about some diet things that make sense. So, today's immediate resolution for me is to buy smaller cakes and less desserts for birthday parties (like we just had for Linda) so that there are less leftover sweets that I am always prone to "finish off". We always have leftover desserts. Less cake, more fruits & vegetables.

Mark & Linda
Mark, we're not really full timers, just averaging 7.5 months a year.

There are a lot of subtle dietary advantages to being on the road. At home we would probably attend a dozen birthday parties a year, each is minimally cake and ice cream. We live at the beach and have pretty regular company, company often with children and that means cookies and coconut cake and larger meals. Who can resist a few hot chocolate chip cookies? Being away cuts down on guests as well

On the road there is virtually no baking, less entertaining. The plates we use on the road are generally Tupperware plastic square plates , 7.5" on a side, antiques from the '70s. They are decidedly smaller than 'home' plates.

We're not home for Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas, all big eating times, not so much when traveling. Normally we will celebrate holidays in a campground some where, still a festive meal but for some reason you eat less. Ginny and I cooked a ham and a turkey for a Thanksgiving and Christmas potlucks, plenty of great food but few people went back for seconds. The next day we had a leftovers lunch.

We lost most of our weight in the early years of RVing but are still losing, my goal for this summer is 10 more pounds (down 2 so far). We carry a scale with us and each get on. It's no contest just a reminder.

We've cut way back on bread. Outside of when going out and when entertaining, we only have one slice of bread with breakfast on most days. (Newfoundland is the exception where the bread is just the best.) I asked the good Doctor about it. He said cut out wheat and you'll lose 10 pounds. We both did. We're not religious about it but conscious of wheat. I snack on Gluten free Ginger snaps from Trader Joes. One of those small changes.

My sweetener is honey. I generally avoid sugar except for a treat now and than. Diet soda is gone. I rarely drink a beer and really only drink alcohol at parties. My most common snack is nuts.

We always eat breakfast and 99% of the time at home. A restaurant breakfast is too big..two pieces of toast, two eggs..... for me it is like eating two breakfasts that day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #42

Florida
Changes for Norm

I asked Ginny what changes she’s seen in me since we hit the road.

She began with I now take more time for others. I never considered that at all in the 15 years on the road. It may be that I have more time. Now I am not seeking to break off a conversation so I can get on with the tasks before me, even if they were only circulating in my mind.

She followed that up with I’m more relaxed. The pressure of life has disappeared. Is that because I’m retired or viewing things differently? Certainly we are living a non-rushed existence.

Finally we’re closer, probably because we spend more time together. There's a lot of truth in this, we basically do everything together even when we're home for four months. It's funny even when Ginny goes out for the day I feel an emptiness. Maybe a little of the spoiled child.

Recently in the getting ready to sell the house I've made a lot of runs to the Town's transfer station. I notice that after I load up the Odyssey that Ginny often want's to come with me.

She closed it out by saying I now have time to chase the turkeys… a reference to something I did on one of our first western trips. I know she was laughing.

I will say she wasn't laughing as I crawled up to get a close up of a bison or the time with the foraging black bear.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #43

Florida
Full Timing

We are not full timers, averaging 7.5 months a year on the road but definitely I have a full timer’s mentality. I wrote that Buckminster Fuller, one of my involuntary mentors, had a lot of free time, thinking time, learning time, exploring time. Free time is the most valuable part of retirement. It is time where you can extend yourself, most important extend yourself in new ways, in new areas.

Ginny always says full timing is not for everyone. I intuitively agree with her. Many can’t or won’t give up what they are, they are not interested in extending themselves in new ways. Instead they may seek to make the perfect quilt, plant the best garden,... or simply continue who they are.

The excitement in life for me is in learning. There is so much to know and to see, so much unknown to me and much unknown to any one.

Our family, I love them all, can not always understand our road joy. This week one of Ginny’s sisters went to the Grand Canyon. She was overwhelmed, “no picture does it justice”. She spent two days and is on her way to visit her grand kids. Now she knows why we travel, we are seeing ‘Grand Canyons’ every day.

Of course our everydays are not all as visually spectacular as the Grand Canyon but they may be just as mentally spectacular like a field of 500,000,000 year old fossils or a 65,000,000 year old crater. All sparking mental wonderings.

Not critical of those who chose restricted travel, just thinking about why I like our extended travels. It’s also why when I’m home I ache to hit the road again.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #44

Florida
Selling time

I wish we had sold our NH house on day one. I would have been a lot younger and more able to cope with the effort.

Today was picture day, looking through old albums and scrap books. I used to be overweight. One of the things I've learned about living is that it would be wonderful if you could see yourself and hear your self. It's all too easy to be responsive with out being conscious.

Our time on the road has improved my hearing and sight, though I now wear bifocal glasses and occasionally a hearing aids. Even when writing on this site I am sometimes saddened by my written tone.

I've often said that I wished someone had followed me around through my life recording why I am who I am. I am becoming that person.

Reviewing old pictures is educational beyond awakening memories. It also makes you consider past actions. It's a little form of education.

One aspect of full timing I love is time to think.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #45

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I wish we had sold our NH house on day one. I would have been a lot younger and more able to cope with the effort.
I have been thinking a lot about this topic over the last couple of years since Mom down-sized from a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 car garage house to a 2 bedroom apartment. She spent 5 months working 7 days a week disposing of a lifetime's worth of accumulation. And some of it came to my house! I was telling a bud the other day I see a nice largish metal building with smallish apartment in one end. Just enough to be comfortable when (rarely) home and off the road.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #46

Florida
Tim, We've been at it for about two weeks and 50 years of stuff is a lot. Much should have disappeared years ago. We have managed to give away most of what we own in terms of furniture. It's truly amazing what people want, what their memory of us is, what's important to them. I love the children's wants the best, memories not practical stuff.

We've had similar thoughts about downsizing every year and often wished that Escapees had built a Co-op park in the Northeast that would give us a place to stay for a few months to visit family and friends. We've considered a little lot some where for our rig that would be a little more personal than a campground but never taking the leap.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #47

Name: Aimee
Trailer: Casita 17 DLX
Kentucky
I've enjoyed reading through this thread. We're about to embark full time, and though I know you are only out 7.5 months as you said...I did want to ask: What are some of the most important items you've taken that have proved indispensable? And what is the park in Oregon attached to the drive in?!?! We will have to go there for sure! I can't remember the last time we had spare time to see a movie. We did what you guys started to do once when you bought a trailer before you ended up going to Nice, France. Although, I have to say if someone offered to send us to France for work I'm sure we might switch directions too Like you guys we are busy downsizing...and it's amazing how much stuff we have! But we won't have a home base, so it's just us and our little trailer. We are so excited to go tiny though, and the more stuff we let go of the better, lighter, and more free we feel. I loved your comment about having less choices. Sometimes I'm in a big store, and it's difficult because there are 100 different detergents or peanut butters. Too many choices can be overwhelming. I lived in Italy for a while and I enjoyed how much more simple it was. Thank you for all your writings. It's made me feel a little less nervous about our big adventure.
HarryHendersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #48

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHendersons View Post
I've enjoyed reading through this thread. We're about to embark full time, and though I know you are only out 7.5 months as you said...I did want to ask: What are some of the most important items you've taken that have proved indispensable? And what is the park in Oregon attached to the drive in?!?! We will have to go there for sure! I can't remember the last time we had spare time to see a movie. We did what you guys started to do once when you bought a trailer before you ended up going to Nice, France. Although, I have to say if someone offered to send us to France for work I'm sure we might switch directions too Like you guys we are busy downsizing...and it's amazing how much stuff we have! But we won't have a home base, so it's just us and our little trailer. We are so excited to go tiny though, and the more stuff we let go of the better, lighter, and more free we feel. I loved your comment about having less choices. Sometimes I'm in a big store, and it's difficult because there are 100 different detergents or peanut butters. Too many choices can be overwhelming. I lived in Italy for a while and I enjoyed how much more simple it was. Thank you for all your writings. It's made me feel a little less nervous about our big adventure.
Aimee.

The drive in park is just off I-5 at the Sutherlin exit, on the west side of I-5.

You certainly know what's indispensable, I would say Ginny and she just responded her driver, but followed it up with my wi-fi.

It's funny since we began RVing I doubt we've seen more than 2 dozen movies in 15 years and most of them at our Escapee park, $0.50 with popcorn. Now that we have Netflix that is changing. WE tend to go to sleep with the TV on. When Ginny snoozes off I pause the TV and take off her glasses. I could watch until the end without disturbing Ginny but I rather keep us in sync. If I'm not sleepy I read in bed or go on the net with my Chromebook.

We've had a number of computers over the year and the Samsung Chromebook has been the best. It cost the least ($199), has the longest life battery, has no failure prone hard drive and is really light.

We're cleaning up our cellar and the amount of stuff is enormous. I think we have enough towels for a small motel. On the road we only have four and two are beach towels.

I'm certain you're nervous by jumping off, for us we would do it again without hesitancy.

Back to the most items, smartphones, camera, phone, alarm clock, night clock, night light, ebook, gps, email, netflix, .... small Compressor, tire plug kit,

The reality is attitude, recognizing that there's adjustment involved, that change doesn't happen in a minute, allow it all to be fun. Sharing is key, looking for ways to be one.. right now I'm reading a book on the source of the earth's magnetic field.. what I can, I explain to Ginny. The world is full of so much, you'll never see it all and will want to see it all.

We have become minimalists in many ways but particularly clothing and food.

Our trailer is not very dissimilar from yours, our's has been more than adequate.

We will be in FL in Nov and December at the Escapee Park in Wauchula. I will send you a PM with our information. You would be welcome to stop by. Friends are allowed to stay in the park on a space available basis and there's usually always space for a small trailer.

If I missed something contact me. ALways glad to help.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #49

Florida
Aimee

Ginny suggested two more items.

The first is he travel log, really a bound booklet where she records every place we have stayed for 15 years. She puts comments in about them. This is handy because we often return to an area, 5 or 6 loops of the USA. She's religious about keeping it up.

Another handy item is a book, the Western Mountain DIrectory. It lists all severe grades and roads in the west by state. It allows Ginny to know before we get there what to expect. It means I don;'t charge down severe slopes but down shift early. There's also an eastern mountain book we own but really don't need.

If there's a question of needing it either ask or don't bring it. Our rule is if we haven't used it we get rid of it for the next rip except for potentially necessary tools.

We used to use campground directories but now use our cell phones.

Ginny loves maps and we have a map of every state. We get new ones at welcome stations as we travel. We also have a large print map book.

When going to Canada we always email the tourist bureau for a map and booklet, thought hey are always available at the border.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #50

Florida
Changing yourself

I've written about this a little bit in this thread and other threads. Becoming full timers is an opportunity to separate yourself from your past in the most positive of senses.

It's like moving to another country, it can be a starting over on many levels.

Most people you meet will be new to you, most places you go will be new. The old limitations 'can be' left at home.

Most people, sometime wish for the opportunity to change something, it might be to lose weight, to read more, to walk more,...

As we clean out our house to sell and look through old pictures it's very obvious we're healthier (and older). I've wondered how I got so out of shape (and round). Was I invisible to myself? We didn't sit down and say we're doing this to lose weight, we actually did nothing except live better. No crash effort juet a continuous change.

When I started my last company I had to hire about 150 people. Now new companies are risky. I sold the opportunity to people. Few real opportunities come along in life. Worse than their small number, is the fact they often go unrecognized. Full timing is an opportunity.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #51

Florida
Contentment

Cleaning the house of 50 years of our lives together on covers a lot of memories hidden among the stuff. I just came across one of Ginny's favorite sayings. When younger I should have said it every day.

Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want,
but the realization of how much you already have.

Bless the woman I married.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #52

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Love to read your stories. have you wrote a book ?
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #53

Florida
Rich and Linda,

We have not written a book though over the years I've considered it, particularly before I stopped working. I like to write and over the years have written 100's of pages on this or that but never really had the time to do a book before retiring.

One of our best friends was a rather famous book editor but she's died. I worked with her a little on a couple of her books and could see it's really work. A couple of years ago my daughter in law challenged me, and other family members, to write a book in 30 days. No one took up the challenge except her. She wrote a 200 page book in 30 days.

Basically I decided to retire however in fewer years than I can contemplate we'll be slowing down, not traveling as much. Maybe something would be possible.

Ginny has encouraged me as well. You know it's Ginny that should write. She really is a one of a kind.

Thank you for the question.

By the way whether you get a Casita or a Scamp or ..., the brand does not diminish the joy of the road. It's in the getting out there...

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #54

Name: Steve
Trailer: Back to Shopping
Indiana
Norm and Ginny

Thanks so much for writing this post. I just logged in today after not following any RV forums for a while. I've been on the fence for a while now about traveling with a bloodhound and two basset hounds. I still feel it's possible, even in a small fiberglass trailer. I retired April 2014 and certainly agree with your statement about there is nothing better than freedom of time.

After 4 pages of great information, your last statement says it the best ... "It's just getting out there ..."

You have inspired me today to rethink my decisions about my paid off house, and traveling with the hounds and I want to thank you for that.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #55

Florida
Getting to Know and Appreciate.

Being together 24/7 is a marvelous opportunity to get an know your travel companion better. It’s not a time to think about negatives, at least not often. I relate it to being alone on a deserted island and working together to make life as good as it can be.

I fear for some that life on a road becomes a continuation of what’s not right in the relationship even though much of the negatives of life like stress and schedule have been left behind

It’s also a chance to consider yourself. A smart person continually evaluates their behavior, looking to find easier happier ways. The environment of the road is empty of life stress, a good time to consider oneself.

For me extended RVing was like being dropped onto Mysterious Island (Jules Verne) with all kind of possibilities before us, away from the world and it’s troubles (in the book the American Civil War). A huge opportunity to seek good in each other, to foster its growth to disown the negative.

Obviously I’m a fan of being alone on an island, mostly because of the possibilities for creating something better, not that yesterday was not good. Feeling that if I’m living I should seek the best.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #56

Name: Anita & Ken
Trailer: 1975 Boler, tow vehicle is 2007 Silverado
Manitoba
I enjoy reading your posts and am looking forward to the time when we can full time it also. Only 7 more months!! Sure hope our paths will cross. Would love to share stories with you. Best wishes, safe travels
A Storgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #57

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
If one of you got the bug to go full time but the other did not, do you think you would of parted ways for a life on the road to explore? I guess what I'm getting at is, what's a bigger pull in your lives... the open road and exploring/experiencing something new each day or each other?
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #58

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
If one of you got the bug to go full time but the other did not, do you think you would of parted ways for a life on the road to explore? I guess what I'm getting at is, what's a bigger pull in your lives... the open road and exploring/experiencing something new each day or each other?

Ginny's response:
Each other. All of life is a compromise. If you try fulltiming you may like it and enjoy each other and the traveling.

Norm's response: Each other is key. Life is a compromise and you see it in our travels. If I were totally independent we'd travel all year but Ginny needs relative recharging. She feels responsible to others all the time and needs to see them for a few months a year. If our niece is on vacation in Columbus, Ohio, every morning she'll check the weather in Columbus. She has a birthday card list that would make President Bush proud.

The reality is that alone I would own a place in Newfoundland for the summers but marriage is about compromise and sharing in everything. I have no complaints at all nor does she.

We had a seven year pre-marriage friendship through high school and college and really always liked each other.

When a friend died I came up with the idea of becoming RVers, we were 58. We were at the peak of our earnings. Ginny had never considered RVing and would not have considered it. I'm the one who goes off the beaten path and she's happy to let me. Ginny would have never decide to build a Geodesic dome or ....

Fortunately Ginny had everything she wanted in life by the time she was 26.. two healthy children, a man who loved her and a home. I did not find this out until I was much older, probably around 50 when she told me this.

The kids are gone, the house is being sold and she still got me. Ginny clearly says I am most important, more important than our children, parents or any relative. It's not that she doesn't love others immensely or show them real concern, but her focus is the two of us, happily for me.

Of late she's become even more protective of me, recognizing I'm older. She tries to restrict my level of physical activity and help me on projects. SHe's a real trooper.

Yes it's each other and we love our travels. It may be the each other that makes the travels so good.

Our neighbor is here for a month from Houston. He said to me yesterday the best part of retirement is time for each other. Not what we're doing but we're doing it together.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #59

Florida
Getting Along

I suspect there are some who tire of descriptions of our happy road life. I can understand that feeling. I'm a person who gets carried away with joy. things that make me feel good.

I have a phone message from my 13 year old grand niece thanking me for a set books. I listen to it at least once a week because it's so rare to s hear that level of honest thankful joy.

To me spending time together is opportunity, just like a first date is opportunity, just like a marriage. Actually time together on the road is the best, closest extended time you will ever have.

It's an opportunity to be grasped.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fulltiming