A trailer for a family of 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: Ruthe
Trailer: Escape 19
New Jersey
A trailer for a family of 6

I'm not sure if I've ever posted here, although I've been checking in from time to time for the past three years. We have a 2014 Escape 19. I'm posting today for our daughter. She and her husband and four children are full timing right now in a Tent Trailer and they're realizing that they need something with hard sides. I'm wondering if there are any fiberglass trailers that can sleep two adults and four children -- something with bunks. They bought a tow vehicle that they love (a Mercedes van) but it can only pull 5000 pounds. I suspect they'll have to let go of the van, but I thought I'd ask here.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
...I'm wondering if there are any fiberglass trailers that can sleep two adults and four children -- something with bunks. They bought a tow vehicle that they love (a Mercedes van) but it can only pull 5000 pounds. I suspect they'll have to let go of the van, but I thought I'd ask here.
There is one I know of, but you'd probably have to order it new, it won't have a bathroom, and the two upper bunks are weight limited to around 100 pounds.

The Casita Spirit model is available in either 16' or 17' lengths. In standard trim with side bunk option (front bunks replace bathroom and side bunks replace dinette) it can sleep 6. I'd probably go for the 17'er because it has a larger main bed (54" versus 45" in the 16'er). It should weigh around 2800-3000 pounds loaded, so the van would have no trouble.

On the other hand, seems like you could rig up beds in the van. If a couple of people slept there, it would open up a lot more options, including some that have baths.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

New Jersey
Thanks Jon, that is an interesting option that I'll pass along. I think they're going to have to trade in the tow vehicle and go for something more powerful At first they didn't think they'd need a bathroom, but after two months on the road, I think they are changing their minds. They have so much stuff in the van (including a frig that runs on batteries) that there wouldn't be room for anyone to sleep.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I'm not sure if I've ever posted here, although I've been checking in from time to time for the past three years. We have a 2014 Escape 19. I'm posting today for our daughter. She and her husband and four children are full timing right now in a Tent Trailer and they're realizing that they need something with hard sides. I'm wondering if there are any fiberglass trailers that can sleep two adults and four children -- something with bunks. They bought a tow vehicle that they love (a Mercedes van) but it can only pull 5000 pounds. I suspect they'll have to let go of the van, but I thought I'd ask here.
Knowing age and gender of the kids may help to determine what options may work.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I've thought the Scamp 5th wheel would be a good option, but they'd need a truck and seating six in a truck is tricky, especially as kids grow. But it sleeps six, two up above, two on the bunks and two on the dinette. I think you could even get it with a bath. Good luck on the search!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
It's not molded fiberglass, but you might take a look at the Camplite line of aluminum travel trailers. They have some models with tip out beds to increase sleeping capacity. They're lighter than many other conventional trailers, so they might have something that will work with the Mercedes van. It does seem like a vehicle I'd hate to let go of.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
About the only molded fiberglass trailer I can think of is the 25' Bigfoot, but pretty pricey unless you can find a used one.

Walt
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Knowing age and gender of the kids may help to determine what options may work.
Yup if any of the children are over the age of 10 its a good bet they would be happier sleep in their own tent beside the trailer. Or at least that has been my experience.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

New Jersey
Whatever camper they get has to be able to sleep all of them for those times when the weather is bad. The kids range from 1 to 12, and with this being their full time home, they all need a place "to be." They were looking at a Lance but then there's the weight issue. Something's going to have to give.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I'm not sure this is a solution, but Trillium made a 4500 option for a double bunk above the dinette bed. In theory, the trailer could sleep six, but since this is a 15' long trailer, it would be very crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sleeping the children?? It's called a tent. Remember they'll be grown and leave home before you know it. Get something for Mom and Dad, children generally love tents.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
About the only molded fiberglass trailer I can think of is the 25' Bigfoot, but pretty pricey unless you can find a used one.

Walt
Trying to visualize…
"There were four in the bed and the little one said, 'Roll over, roll over,'…"

I did see a RQ that had twin beds rather than a queen. If twins fit, then you could build two bunks.

But you will need a full-size van or SUV to pull it. With a base dry weight of 4750 pounds, a vehicle rated to tow 5000 pounds won't cut it.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Sleeping the children?? It's called a tent. Remember they'll be grown and leave home before you know it. Get something for Mom and Dad, children generally love tents.
Nope, won't do. Nowhere to plug in their TV in the tent.

Walt
Old 09-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Nope, won't do. Nowhere to plug in their TV in the tent.

Walt
TV (Television and camping don't go together). Maybe RV Resorting.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Easy peasy. You just unplug the trailer and plug the TV in at the post.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
For vacations and weekend camping trips, a small fiberglass rv could potentially work for a family of 6 with 4 children 1-12yrs old. Things would be pretty cramped in almost any fiberglass trailer, and some challenges would exist for finding sleeping space for all that allowed for night time access to the bathroom (assuming the trailer would have one). However, I could not imagine full-timing with my own family of 6 in a space as small as a fiberglass rv, even in one of the bigger fiberglass trailers like the Escape 21, Escape 5.0TA or the larger Bigfoot trailers. For full-timing with a large family (if I would even consider such a concept), I would definitely choose for my own sanity one of the larger 5th wheel stickies with pull-outs and lots of space.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 17ft Casita , which by our estimation is tight for 2 adults and a dog . I cannot fathom trying to even weekend camp with 6 people in a fiberglass trailer let alone live fulltime. A tent is only a temporary solution at best. The concept of living fulltime in a space the size of a walkin closet seems insane to me.
We have 5 kids and kids need their space and their privacy as do adults.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a 17ft Casita , which by our estimation is tight for 2 adults and a dog . I cannot fathom trying to even weekend camp with 6 people in a fiberglass trailer let alone live fulltime. A tent is only a temporary solution at best. The concept of living fulltime in a space the size of a walkin closet seems insane to me.
We have 5 kids and kids need their space and their privacy as do adults.
Ditto, we have a 17 foot Casita which is tight for the two of us and our dog.

And I see a larger tow vehicle coming, perhaps a 3/4 ton van.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm thinking a double-wide might do it.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #20

New Jersey
I thought maybe there was a bigger fiberglass trailer that I hadn't heard of. They've really enjoyed the van -- being able to spread out while en route has been good, and the tent trailer is surprisingly spacious but they need something hard sided and bunks and probably a slideout will help. So they'll just have to weigh the options.