Any full timers going to Burning Man? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Oliver Elite
Send a message via AIM to Chris Dunphy Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Dunphy
I am organizing a theme camp called Camp Nomadia at Burning Man this year. I would love to invite other full-time travelers to come camp with us, or to stop by and say hi.

The vision of Camp Nomadia is to bring together as many cool nomadic spirits and full-time travelers as we can to share stories, resources, passion, and community. To foster nomadic community, we will be hosting a Nomadic Happy Hour on Tuesday and Thursday (4pm to 6pm) and Sunday (3pm to 5pm) where other nomads and wanna-be nomads from throughout BRC can converge and connect.

More details on Camp Nomadia can be found in this post:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=30600

And more details on Burning Man can be found in this calendar entry:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;event_id=187

Burning Man runs August 25th thru September 1st, and it is held in the Black Rock Dessert several hours north of Reno, NV.

Is anyone else from this forum going to be there this year??

Cheers!

- Chris
Chris Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
I've gone the past 2 years (2006-2007) but there is just so much going on this year I don't think I am going to make it (didn't even buy my tickets this year yet). Lots of friends are going, and trying to talk me into it, but right now it looks unlikely.....Still, you know how it goes. If the chance comes up and all of the cards fall into place at the last minute, I would hitch up my trailer and leave in a heartbeat!

I've been going since 2001 and am pretty much hooked. I had a baby on Labor Day 2003 so my Burning Man activities have been curtailed somewhat-but still hang with the "Tribe" around here and go to as many regionals as I can work out!

I'm not a full-timer, but may wander over and say "Hi" if Playadipity sends me that way.I tend to camp with Dustfish on the Esplanade, so if I don't make it to your camp, maybe see you at ours!

-Playa Tigerlily
Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #3

Quote:
I'm not a full-timer, but may wander over and say "Hi" if Playadipity sends me that way.I tend to camp with Dustfish on the Esplanade, so if I don't make it to your camp, maybe see you at ours!
-Playa Tigerlily
Hi Tigerlily -- has the call of the playa reached you yet?

Camp Nomadia will be at 4:30 and Edsel this year. I am in Reno now stocking up, and we will be headed towards Black Rock City in the morning.

Here are the final details on Camp Nomadia at Burning Man 2008:

[b]CAMP NOMADIA LOCATION:
We are located this year at 4:30 & Edsel. If you are going to be in Black Rock City this year, come by and say hello. Our new Oliver should be parked close to the street and it will be easy to find:

[b]CAMP NOMADIA EVENTS:
Due to transportation and logistical issues, we have decided not to host the Giant Settlers of Catan game - but we will have a "Wheel of Fortune" game display and a giant slot machine to entertain passerbys, created by some of our campmates.

Our main camp events will be the three Nomadic Happy Hours. Here are the details:

[b]Nomadic Happy Hour - Tuesday & Thursday, 4pm - 6pm. Sunday, 3pm - 5pm
The vision of Camp Nomadia is to bring together as many cool nomadic spirits as we can to share stories, resources, passion, and community.

To foster nomadic community, we are hosting a Nomadic Happy Hour on Tuesday and Thursday (4pm to 6pm) and Sunday (3pm to 5pm).

Come and stop by - whether you are a current nomad, future nomad, wanna-be nomad, part time nomad, domestic nomad, international nomad, technomad, lowtechnomad, former nomad, land nomad, rail nomad, backpacking nomad, open water cruising nomad, friend of a nomad, or you just want to be around nomads.

Bring some food or drink to share, and come mix and mingle. Tour a few truly mobile homes. Learn what it is like to live full-time on the road. Ask questions. Swap stories.

Or just come hang out and meet some cool folk.

If you make it out this year, please stop by, and spread the word to your nomadic friends.

- Chris

Old 09-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 17 ft ('The Sea Glass')
Question

Despite the wish to make it out to the Playa this year, too many things held me back in the default world. I like next year's theme-maybe I'll be inspired to wander out there in '09. It's hard to stay away for very long!

How did it go? Did your Camp survive the 70mph whiteout Dust Storms on Monday and Saturday? It's times like those I'm glad I don't have to camp in the Desert in a TENT any more!

Toni M T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
How did it go? Did your Camp survive the 70mph whiteout Dust Storms on Monday and Saturday? It's times like those I'm glad I don't have to camp in the Desert in a TENT any more!
It was an amazing experience, as usual. The weather was absolutely perfect, other than those two monster day-long dust storms. The rest of the week was neither too hot nor too cold, even at night.

Our Oliver held up amazingly well to the dust. The fiberglass just shed the dirt. By the end of the week, we had strangers coming by to ask us how on earth we managed to keep our exterior looking so clean. Hah! :-)

- Chris // www.technomadia.com