Anyone go from Fiberglass to Stick Built & Back to Fiberglass? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Anyone go from Fiberglass to Stick Built & Back to Fiberglass?

I've owned my Casita for 10 years and thinking about going full time RVing. It is time for a new TV (current one is 16 y/o). I'm thinking about getting a Creekside 21RBS.

But the Casita has almost everything I need except for space for full timing for me. (I know many full time in a Casita.)

Have you gone from a fiberglass RV to stick build and back to a fiberglass RV?

Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
Have you gone from a fiberglass RV to stick build and back to a fiberglass RV?
Well if they have, they have been banned form this forum so they will not be able to respond to you... (I crack myself up sometimes, even if I am the only one)

I do seem to recall one or more of the folks on here "downgrading" to a larger RV.. I expect you will hear from them.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I had a 17' Burro, sold it and bought a stickie trailer. Had it for 3.5 years, sold it (and the roof started leaking shortly afterward, the new owner told me). Bought an Aliner and used that for a year, very unimpressed with the quality, sold it. This summer I'll camp in my Hauley. But I would like to buy another FG, probably an Escape, eventually. I do not have any desire for another stickie.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I don't full time, probably never will. BUT, I am planning months long trips. I've owned my 16' Scamp for years. LOVE that little trailer, but it's the wrong layout for ME when out for very long. Soooo... I bought an Escape 5.0TA. That gives me 7 MORE FEET of INTERIOR living space and tons more storage. The overall length between the two setups is mere inches in length. I couldn't be happier!

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Anyone go from Fiberglass to Stick Built & Back to Fiberglass?

I am not really full timing and also not getting rid of any Eggs just yet but I have recently snagged a small cargo trailer which I suppose is a sticky of sorts too?

It is a Steel Sticky with Aluminum sides and about the size of our Eggs too!

Mine is a 7'x10' model and the thought behind it is to be able to haul cargo to and at jobs I do out of town and dry camp in the process.

So I am turning it into a camper /hauler basically.

I am surprised by just how much I like it and how usable it is for camping and I recently took it to the Egg Basket at Roys/Rays Fish Fry and it was great!

Though it is smaller than most of our Eggs it seems roomier I think mostly because the thing is a box with no curves.The headroom is great and unobstructed and depending on how much stuff I build into it can seem palatial to me compared to my Casita mostly.

It is also a really sturdy and well insulated box and has no wood framing at all in the structure except for the treated plywood floor.

Mine has a one piece aluminum roof as well.

It was a hit at the Fish Fry too!

Options are a good thing!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I went from a Bigfoot 17 (which I very much regret selling) to a 23' motorhome (which I hated driving) to a truck and sticky camper (pretty good). So when I wanted a trailer again, I knew in my deepest heart I wanted fiberglass, for many reasons.
My choice to go small was a personal one. But after having my little Escape for nearly 5 years in still in love with it.
At the moment, I'm 'full timing' in my 13' and it's going well. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1464706253.874956.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well if they have, they have been banned form this forum so they will not be able to respond to you... (I crack myself up sometimes, even if I am the only one)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good, Gordon. We get the 'yoke'. But don't expect us to egg you on by laughing ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Ed Harris, that's a pretty nice set up you have there but I am wondering if you have enough hinges on that back door.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Ed Harris, that's a pretty nice set up you have there but I am wondering if you have enough hinges on that back door.

I did ask if they could install just one more before delivery but no dice?

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much
Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
When it comes to full-timing, where are you looking for the space? Could a van as a tow vehicle help with the space issue? If it storage, that would help. Both stick and molded fiberglass have issues, just different ones.

Two Canadian manufactures make some light-weight stick that I have seen nothing but good reviews but they are not cheap: Taylor Coach - Welcome or Manufacturer of Ultralight Travel Trailers - Roulottes Prolite If you go with a US made stick trailer, do a LOT of reseach because there are a lot of lemons and even buying higher quality does not insure you won't have major problems. They really turn out some junk. Many seem not to do a QA on the trailers, just random checks, depending on the dealer to handle the issues, which means, you find the issues and hope the dealer will know how to repair it. We have been there and done that, what a mess!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I might get banned here. LOL. Here's my story. I started out with a pickup camper 19 years ago. Then went to a stick built TT. Then to a Class C. Then went through two stick built 5ers. Then to a pull behind Scamp. Then to a Scamp 5er. Back to another stick built 5er and just last month purchased a new stick 5er. We liked our Scamps but wanted to do some Campground hosting and the Scamp just wasn't big enough for my DW, myself and our two dogs. We are more than happy with our purchase. So, what did I learn? You just have to do what is best for you and makes you happy. Camping is about enjoying the outdoors, meeting new people and just enjoying life. Follow your heart and enjoy life.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have to (shamefully) admit I have actually heard the Siren Song of the sticky. There a some neat layouts that I think would work well for us. And they can be bought brand new, cheaply and financed. But then I think of what their condition will be before the payments run out and I fight of the urge.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I just finished rebuilding a 1985 16' Scamp (major major rebuild and redesign) and have camped in it several times and serves for that and we plan to take some long trips, but not full timing.
We HAVE gone full timing, however, but not traveling.
We bought a 2006 Travel Supreme 38' 5er with 4 slides so we are NOT roughing it.
This is a transition from a house in Mobile, AL. to Navarre FL. and will serve as a base for the next two years working until retirement at 70 or so.
The house in Navarre is smaller then the Mobile house so we are downsizing.
Then there is the matter of the airplanes and projects in works.
Luckily the trailer is at a nearby airport so entertainment is assured working on airplanes in spare time.
The Travel Supreme is a first class unit and has everything including the kitchen sink and washer and dryer.
Somehow full timing in the Scamp in a fixed location didn't seem like that good of an idea.
I thought that at the end of the time we would not want to use toe Scamp and that is definitely in our plans.
I don't know about the "sticky" part since the TS has all aluminum superstructure and fiberglass sides and top covered with EDPM rubber.
We have been in it for a few weeks and so far are quite pleased with it.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have to (shamefully) admit I have actually heard the Siren Song of the sticky. There a some neat layouts that I think would work well for us. And they can be bought brand new, cheaply and financed. But then I think of what their condition will be before the payments run out and I fight of the urge.
That is a good point.