Automatic deal killers... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #15

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I like to keep an air freshener in the trailer,I like the smell better than a musty closed up trailer even with the vent open all the time.

No dead bodies though luckily.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The lower down the price range, the less picky you can be.
When I bought the Fiber Stream it was obvious that it leaked. It never had an interior wall covering; just paint on the interior shell surface. Since I wasn't facing a big gut job to remove soggy wall covering the leaks didn't scare me off. I used the leak damage to negotiate a lower price.

The rotten floor in the Compact Jr. was not a deal breaker either, since it was already gutted of furniture and wasn't insulated, replacing the floor was no big deal. The hard stuff was already done.

I've been on the other side of the pet odor negotiations. Selling a Mobile Home that had pet odors has taught me that if the price can be negotiated to compensate it's not a deal breaker for the right buyer either.

The only thing I would walk away from is an owner who has a totally trashed trailer but insists on a high price.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #17

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937

That's not really true...

In an old rig, I expect to replace the carpet, upholstery, cushions, and curtains. I just hope that I don't need to urgently replace those items.
It doesn't matter to me if I do intend to replace every piece of fabric in the entire trailer, if someone smoked in it on a regular basis, it's an absolute deal breaker for me. I used to smoke and if someone smoked in it, I will smell it no matter what I do; paint replace, wash repair etc... thats my personal preference and personal opinion. I have been known for my nose since I was a kid.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #18

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...but please do not ask . . . if you can perform a minor operation in your inspection.
I don't know a thing about HDs, but the opposition to due diligence is staggering!

I don't buy a used car without a mechanic's inspection. Do you?

I'm not looking for a project rig; I want a sound unit fit for the road. If I see a bra on the front of an RV that didn't come equipped with a bra, you can bet I'm taking off that bra or walking. Anyone who would buy a used RV without doing that (or probing a soft spot in the floor) is just plain stupid.

If the seller is uncomfortable with me doing the inspection, I'll happily pay to have an auto body shop do it while I watch and direct.

There are a lot of pig ears that look like silk purses on the used lots. Private sellers are an even greater risk because their sale of a unit is ungoverned by state or federal agencies.

I guess ignorance, more than supply and demand, is why prices are so high in what by all economic indicators should be a buyer's market.

OYE! and double-OYE! Thank you Myron Cope.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
I guess ignorance, more than supply and demand, is why prices are so high in what by all economic indicators should be a buyer's market.
Pricing along with supply and demand for molded trailers is in direct opposition to a happy full economy. When fuel was cheap and we had far less unemployment, fewer molded trailers were (probably) sold compared to monster rigs. Now that fuel is high and folks are watching their dollars, they're even more interested in purchasing small(er), cheap(er) and easier to maintain RVs. People are even more interested in trading motel traveling for the camping experience. Staycations or nearby vacations rule in this economy. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #20

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Our 17 ft Egg Camper cost almost exactly the same as our 31 ft Kodiak so the Egg Camper being cheaper didn't apply. The 31 ft is for snowbirding for 4 months in one spot. I do not like towing it and towing it all over the country is a no go. The Egg Camper, however, is for camping and travelling all over the country. In other words, the Egg is for FUN and the Kodiak is for living in.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Funny how all that ignorance can trump all those smarts!

jack
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #22

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Due diligence has no physical component. If you attempt to penetrate any hard surface with your "Tools", you break surfaces and degrade seals. If you encounter any areas in my trailer that you have further questions, You will point it out to me and I will do my best to assist you to investigate the source. If you damage any surfaces on my unit, you will own it, whether you like it or not.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #23

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
If you encounter any areas in my trailer that you have further questions, You will point it out to me and I will do my best to assist you to investigate the source. If you damage any surfaces on my unit, you will own it, whether you like it or not.
I'm in agreement with your comment, I could ask for no more. Someone unwilling to proceed that way with a qualified buyer is probably a certifiable crook.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #24

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
You want to know that the numbers on that clear title match the ones on the rig itself.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I don't know a thing about HDs, but the opposition to due diligence is staggering!

I don't buy a used car without a mechanic's inspection. Do you?

I'm not looking for a project rig; I want a sound unit fit for the road. If I see a bra on the front of an RV that didn't come equipped with a bra, you can bet I'm taking off that bra or walking. Anyone who would buy a used RV without doing that (or probing a soft spot in the floor) is just plain stupid.

If the seller is uncomfortable with me doing the inspection, I'll happily pay to have an auto body shop do it while I watch and direct.

There are a lot of pig ears that look like silk purses on the used lots. Private sellers are an even greater risk because their sale of a unit is ungoverned by state or federal agencies.

OYE! and double-OYE! Thank you Myron Cope.

Good Luck on your search, you're going to need it.
There's another good reason the prices are so high, it called "value". Look around you, how many 30 year old trailers are on the road. If you were to go to one of the fiberglass rallies you'd see trailers of all ages and you'd have a hard time telling which is the older.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #26

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
I have some deal braker issuse with people. It seems about 2 of 10 sellers are just great people to do business. About 7 of 10 sellers are OK to deal with. Then there is about 1 guy in 10 that I won't buy form no matter how much I want what he is selling.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Well Jack, if you don't allow me to do due diligence, there is not chance we'd ever do a deal.

I tell everyone before I drive to see their rig that I'll give it a thorough inspection. I do ask them before I poke a soft spot with the ice pick. The hammer is only to hear the sound of the structure. If the little tap on the fiberglass makes a mark or puts in a hole, then the unit is in real trouble. I always put a piece of card stock between the hammer and the point of impact...but I'm only tapping the way your might tap on a melon to hear if it is ripe. If you're unit cannot endure that, it's junk.
Really! Your joking right? Who in their right mind is going to let some person they dont know from Adam go around tapping a hammer against their fiberglass trailer? Are you a professional marine surveyor with fiberglass boat experience?

How many people have actually let you do that to their fiberglass trailers?

I would not mind you taping around on the floor to ensure its sound. If you went anywhere near the fiberglass with a hammer I would first have you sign a legal document saying you will repair any resulting crakes or holes you manage to put on it and pay to have the whole thing repainted once the repair is done. I would also take pictures of the area before you did your so called tapping and while you where doing it to document what takes place. No deal? Well then all I would have to say is that at the end of the day thats to bad as you just passed up on a trailer that *many* people would say is in *really* good shape and I have no doudt that it will sell for what every the asking price might be without the need for a hammer test on the fiberglass.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
<cut>
<cut>
Your suggestion that ignorance is what keeps the resale value of fiberglass trailers high says to me that your in need of a bit more educated in regards to fiberglass trailers.

I actually would have no opposition what so ever to someone doing due diligence if and when I sell my trailer. Heck I did it when I bought mine. I will be more than happy to show all records and have them inspect the floor, frame, tires, brakes, fridge, stove, shower, hot water tank and anything else they want to look at and to make sure its all actually works I would be happy to start everything up for them. They can even stand there for an hour pouring water on the windows if they want to make sure it doesnt leak.

What I would be opposed to is someone do anything that can damage the trailer.

As far as you suggesting you would offer to have the fiberglass inspected by an auto body shop goes - again you must be joking or perhaps a little ignorant in regards to the common practices in regards to fiberglass. There are few people I know who would let someone who works on cars take a stab at banging around on their trailer -not many car body shop guys have a great deal of fiberglass experience. Also not a chance I would even let a stick RV dealer touch anything on the outside of my trailer. If the state of the fibeglass is of that concern to you then IMHO you should be offering to have the inspection done by a marine surveyor or a Fiberglass RV builder - I would be happy to comply with that request. In which case I know it would be an experienced surveyor or fiberglass trailer builder doing the directing on the inspection not the purchaser.

If you want the appliances checked by a stick RV dealer I would not be opposed to that either but again no way would I allow them to touch anything on the body of the trailer.

The good news is for those of us who have well maintained fiberglass trailers we know that we will have more than enough people intreasted to be able to choose the person we really want to sell it to.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote