Banking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Thumbs up

I will be receiving government-issued checks when I hit the road full-time, currently I bank with Washington Mutual. I am wondering about depositing/cashing these checks...what do full timers do with income that is not direct deposit? However, I have not checked to see if I can get my checks direct deposited. I figure since you are all on the road, you might have some suggestions. I will be pretty much relying on these checks for awhile for my travels. Any and all help would be appreciated, all you great people have been so helpful and have made me realize that full-timing can be a reality and not just a dream. Thank you all.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I will be receiving government-issued checks when I hit the road full-time, currently I bank with Washington Mutual. I am wondering about depositing/cashing these checks...what do full timers do with income that is not direct deposit? However, I have not checked to see if I can get my checks direct deposited. I figure since you are all on the road, you might have some suggestions. I will be pretty much relying on these checks for awhile for my travels. Any and all help would be appreciated, all you great people have been so helpful and have made me realize that full-timing can be a reality and not just a dream. Thank you all.
Worst case is you get the check a bit late when you get your mail, then mail the check to the bank for deposit. I'm sure the gummint will encourage you to have direct deposit because it is much easier for them than paper checks.

Remember, the key to successful FullTiming is to have a mailing address-- All serious things things like banking, DL, tags, insurance, etc., radiate out from that mailing address -- Of course, one must choose a domicile before one choses a mail address/service.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Thank you Pete, I think I am going with the escapees out of TX. Is that what you mean by "domicile" or am I missing something else here?
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Monica,

Direct deposit of government checks works great. The money is deposited in your account each time on the same day of the month. You should have no trouble setting up dd at WaMu (Wa Hoo!) or any other bank. BTW, I think your bank has a different name now. Domicile (home of record) refers to the State you say you live in, ie where you get your mail, register your vehicles, obtain your drivers license, vote, etc. Using the address of a close relative or friend probably works best for full timing. Something legal says you should have only one domicile. Some banks offer bill paying services, if you're interested. Good luck!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Quote:
Monica,

Direct deposit of government checks works great. The money is deposited in your account each time on the same day of the month. You should have no trouble setting up dd at WaMu (Wa Hoo!) or any other bank. BTW, I think your bank has a different name now. Domicile (home of record) refers to the State you say you live in, ie where you get your mail, register your vehicles, obtain your drivers license, vote, etc. Using the address of a close relative or friend probably works best for full timing. Something legal says you should have only one domicile. Some banks offer bill paying services, if you're interested. Good luck!
WaMu offers free on-line banking and bill pay. I recently tried it in prep for long-term travel. So far, so good! Also direct deposit is safer. No worry about lost or stolen checks. Most governmental agencies prefer that anyway. However, I would suggest picking the banking institution carefully, as I understand it can be a fuss to change a direct deposit.
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In Canada here my bank account is in Campbell River BC. Its been there for over 12 years.In that time the bank has moved to a new location. I have never had any problems. I also have a bank account in Nova Scotia. All my stuff is direct deposit or telephone/internet bill payments. Up here for me this works real well.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Domicile is where you declare your home to be and to where you intend to return when you are gone -- Full Timers should make all their stuf very clear and pointing at only one domicile to make it hard to challenge -- Challengers will usually be a state tax system...

Residency is contextual -- Besides where you happen to be sleeping, like a house or a hotel or an RV park, etc., it is also for in-state tuition, fishing license, and stuf like that, with the requirements differing from context and by state.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:

Hi there,

we have used WAMU since before we hit the road in 2005. No problems except finding no fee ATM's in many locations, but cash advances work. We use direct deposit and billpay. But we do occasionally get a check that has to be deposited. WE use My Home Address in SD so the check goes there first and then gets forwarded. We have depostied checks at WAMU's in California, Nevada, and Texas I think. It works, but I am sure that you'll be able to get direct deposit. I have it for my pension and for an online high school I currently work for.

Joe and Melanie
Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr (Super modified)
Quote:
Hi there,

we have used WAMU since before we hit the road in 2005. No problems except finding no fee ATM's in many locations, but cash advances work.
I would suggest using Citibank for your banking needs. They have (IMO) the best free online banking/bill-pay service, they give you "reward points" for making purchases with your debit/credit card (free money), they have tons of branches, and 3,300 free Citibank ATMs, and free ATM access at another 5,600 7-Eleven stores. That is almost half the ATMs in the entire "MoneyPass" ATM network in the USA.

About the only better deal is some credit unions or online banks that offer free ATM access to any ATM, but most of them limit how many times a month you can use the ATM for free (like 3 times a month).
bgeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi there,

we have used WAMU since before we hit the road in 2005. No problems except finding no fee ATM's in many locations, but cash advances work. We use direct deposit and billpay. But we do occasionally get a check that has to be deposited. WE use My Home Address in SD so the check goes there first and then gets forwarded. We have depostied checks at WAMU's in California, Nevada, and Texas I think. It works, but I am sure that you'll be able to get direct deposit. I have it for my pension and for an online high school I currently work for.

Joe and Melanie

Well since WAMU is now owned by Chase there are over 14,000 ATM's and 5,000 branches nationwide! Never had a proble with WAMU will see if Chase is as good?
GWNorris3rd is offline   Reply With Quote