Being careful - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Well said, Roger.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I open the door in the mornings. I know it's Fred with coffee and getting impatient about my sleeping in later than he does.

I wouldn't stay at 2 campgrounds during my recent road trip to Oregon because I got that squeamish feeling about them. One was a California State park, nice setting and better than most Ca. SPs I have been in. BUT...It was too dark, in a gully and I just didn't get the warm fuzzies there. It was more an odd feeling, rather than a fear.. but I went with it and moved on.

If it doesn't feel right, keep moving or go back to the one you passed up just to "Go a bit farther".
I think this is one of the best defences there is. If you don't feel comfortable in a location move on. It doesn't matter if the odd or concern feelings are justified, if you have them it's time to move.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
these guys give me a little extra confidence... I dunno - I wouldn't stick MY arm in the car if I didn't know 'em...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dogz.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	9240
Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
So Roger, how much of a deterrent is a good dog like the beautiful ones above?

My attack dog, “Buddy” (cock-a-poo - heavy on the poo )
He prefers NOT to bark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buddy_6_11_06.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	9247
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
[quote]So Roger, how much of a deterrent is a good dog like the beautiful ones above?

My attack dog, “Buddy” (cock-a-poo - heavy on the poo )
He prefers NOT to bark.

Attachment 9247

Mike, Buddy is great!

IMHO, the dogs in the car may raise a racket, but they certainly wouldn't stop anyone who is determined to get into the car. A little pepper spray goes a long way toward disabling and de-barking a watch dog... a half-pound of hamburger is nearly as effective.

Roger
Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
What do you think of Electronic security?

There is one that uses a motion sensor to play the sound of a Rottweiller barking and then turns on lights. Then the sound of the dog comes from another room as if he ran to the front room and those lights come on too. (still with me?)

It seems this could buy you some pre-warning and give you some time.

RoboDog
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_dk9000.htm

X10's barking dog alarm has always been a favorite with X10's customers. Its ingenious design allows you to trigger a frightening dog bark by motion or keychain remote. Now, we've improved the barking dog alarm with the enhancements that our customers have always wanted -- computerized control of the dog! You can now use ActiveHome to control it, even program Macros that make the dog bark. This new dog is intelligent, not to mention loud, mean and frightening to strangers. That's real power! We gave it a name that reflects its improved abilities. Introducing Robo-Dog™!

This kit gives you the ultimate security for those dark nights or weekend trips when you're away from home. This is a must for ActiveHome users. Robo-Dog acts like an appliance module. You simply set Robo-Dog to a house-code such as A-3. Then, using ActiveHome you can program when the dog will bark or include it in a customized macro. For example: a security macro, when triggered by the outdoor motion detector, could turn on lights in the front and back yards, turn on a radio, make the dog bark, and turn on a light in the living room.

Put the keychain remote, included in the kit, in your pocket or keep it next to the bed! Hear something outside? Push the button ... it's gone! IT'S A GREAT PRODUCT FOR ANYONE HOME ALONE! You can place the Robo-Dog almost anywhere. It takes about 30 seconds to set up and provides the option to use batteries or simply plug the power cable into any AC power outlet.

THE DOG SOUNDS SO REAL ... EVEN DOGS AND CATS CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. IN FACT, IF YOU DON'T THINK THE BARKING DOG SOUNDS LIKE A REAL, MAD ROTTWEILER, SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND! THE DESIGNER ALMOST GOT KICKED OUT OF HIS APARTMENT BECAUSE THE LANDLORD THOUGHT HE HAD A DOG ON THE PREMISES!
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thank you, Roger, you make some very good points.[
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
how about a recording of a pump shot gun cocking?

I plan to carry my .38 under journey carry and have 2 boxers.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #23

California
Those big puppies up there provide a very good 1st line of defense... On my last trip, a creepy guy was in the space behind mine... He walked over, stopped on the very edge of my site and asked, "do your dogs bite?" The Big Guy growled (and he never growls at anyone), so I (not particularly friendly) said, "well... it depends!"

They deter the simple problems that could become infinitely more complicated later... I didn't see hide nor hair of that guy again...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
I like to use lots of lights at the house at night. I leave on my front garage light all night with a bright florecent bulb in it. Closer to the house I have motion lights at the front walk way. And a light on at the porch too. I wonder if there are some 12 volt motion lihgts out there some where. Would be nice to have a nice bright LED light come on at the RV entry anytime something or some one came close. I would prefer to have some lights around campsite I was at. I have some solar yard lights I am thinking about using as I camp. If your the most lit up camp site your the least likely to be the one someones going to mess with I would think. I was going to ask in a thread about how to take 12volt DC battery and crank it down to what ever these yard lights use. Run a bit of wire and keep a few low voltage DC LED lights lit at night. I have also carried with me a personal protection type noise maker I got at a yard sale some years ago. You put a 9 volt battery in it and it has a lanyard with a pin on it that pulls out of the device to set it off. I've had it in my tent in case of a bear coming around but have never had to ue it. The thing will make your ears bleed it is so loud and anoying.
Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Those big puppies up there provide a very good 1st line of defense... On my last trip, a creepy guy was in the space behind mine... He walked over, stopped on the very edge of my site and asked, "do your dogs bite?" The Big Guy growled (and he never growls at anyone), so I (not particularly friendly) said, "well... it depends!"

They deter the simple problems that could become infinitely more complicated later... I didn't see hide nor hair of that guy again...
We tent camped in a lake campground and had some creepy guys like that. checking out our stuff, asking questions about our 'cool gear'.

We didn't give them the time of day and they buzzed off. About a month later they murdered someone in the same campground. Instinct is everything.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #26

California
Quote:
We tent camped in a lake campground and had some creepy guys like that. checking out our stuff, asking questions about our 'cool gear'.

We didn't give them the time of day and they buzzed off. About a month later they murdered someone in the same campground. Instinct is everything.
I trust my big dog... the puppy is learning his ways... He's a big friendly fellow, but on the rare occasions he doesn't like someone, I believe him.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #27

Quote:
He's a big friendly fellow, but on the rare occasions he doesn't like someone, I believe him.
mine too. hubby will yell at them to shut up when they are barking out the window (in the house) and he's trying to watch tv. I'll admit the 'oofs' progress to a frenzy sometimes!

i tell him to get UP and see what they are barking at, not discourage them from being good watch dogs. I always get up and do a 'show me' to see what's up. Mostly they are nosey on our historic busy street, but better for me to get up than train them not to bark.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thank you, Roger, for your special insights here, and to others for many thought-provoking comments. So far, our travels have been safe, but we DO use the 'situational awareness' approach. Having traveled the dog show circuit with one or more Rottweilers, I know the presence of a big dog helps. My parents used to worry about any stops at rest areas ... I just reminded them that I traveled with 200# of teeth and felt pretty safe. Now, our dog is small, but has a large (if unseen) bark, so that might at least give us a few seconds to think about the smartest next move. We wish everyone safe journeys always - L 'n D