Being careful - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Thank you, Roger, you make some very good points.[
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
how about a recording of a pump shot gun cocking?

I plan to carry my .38 under journey carry and have 2 boxers.
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Those big puppies up there provide a very good 1st line of defense... On my last trip, a creepy guy was in the space behind mine... He walked over, stopped on the very edge of my site and asked, "do your dogs bite?" The Big Guy growled (and he never growls at anyone), so I (not particularly friendly) said, "well... it depends!"

They deter the simple problems that could become infinitely more complicated later... I didn't see hide nor hair of that guy again...
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 PM   #24

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
I like to use lots of lights at the house at night. I leave on my front garage light all night with a bright florecent bulb in it. Closer to the house I have motion lights at the front walk way. And a light on at the porch too. I wonder if there are some 12 volt motion lihgts out there some where. Would be nice to have a nice bright LED light come on at the RV entry anytime something or some one came close. I would prefer to have some lights around campsite I was at. I have some solar yard lights I am thinking about using as I camp. If your the most lit up camp site your the least likely to be the one someones going to mess with I would think. I was going to ask in a thread about how to take 12volt DC battery and crank it down to what ever these yard lights use. Run a bit of wire and keep a few low voltage DC LED lights lit at night. I have also carried with me a personal protection type noise maker I got at a yard sale some years ago. You put a 9 volt battery in it and it has a lanyard with a pin on it that pulls out of the device to set it off. I've had it in my tent in case of a bear coming around but have never had to ue it. The thing will make your ears bleed it is so loud and anoying.
Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Those big puppies up there provide a very good 1st line of defense... On my last trip, a creepy guy was in the space behind mine... He walked over, stopped on the very edge of my site and asked, "do your dogs bite?" The Big Guy growled (and he never growls at anyone), so I (not particularly friendly) said, "well... it depends!"

They deter the simple problems that could become infinitely more complicated later... I didn't see hide nor hair of that guy again...
We tent camped in a lake campground and had some creepy guys like that. checking out our stuff, asking questions about our 'cool gear'.

We didn't give them the time of day and they buzzed off. About a month later they murdered someone in the same campground. Instinct is everything.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
We tent camped in a lake campground and had some creepy guys like that. checking out our stuff, asking questions about our 'cool gear'.

We didn't give them the time of day and they buzzed off. About a month later they murdered someone in the same campground. Instinct is everything.
I trust my big dog... the puppy is learning his ways... He's a big friendly fellow, but on the rare occasions he doesn't like someone, I believe him.
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
He's a big friendly fellow, but on the rare occasions he doesn't like someone, I believe him.
mine too. hubby will yell at them to shut up when they are barking out the window (in the house) and he's trying to watch tv. I'll admit the 'oofs' progress to a frenzy sometimes!

i tell him to get UP and see what they are barking at, not discourage them from being good watch dogs. I always get up and do a 'show me' to see what's up. Mostly they are nosey on our historic busy street, but better for me to get up than train them not to bark.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Thank you, Roger, for your special insights here, and to others for many thought-provoking comments. So far, our travels have been safe, but we DO use the 'situational awareness' approach. Having traveled the dog show circuit with one or more Rottweilers, I know the presence of a big dog helps. My parents used to worry about any stops at rest areas ... I just reminded them that I traveled with 200# of teeth and felt pretty safe. Now, our dog is small, but has a large (if unseen) bark, so that might at least give us a few seconds to think about the smartest next move. We wish everyone safe journeys always - L 'n D
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #29

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Quote:
I like to use lots of lights at the house at night. I leave on my front garage light all night with a bright florecent bulb in it. Closer to the house I have motion lights at the front walk way. And a light on at the porch too. I wonder if there are some 12 volt motion lihgts out there some where. Would be nice to have a nice bright LED light come on at the RV entry anytime something or some one came close. I would prefer to have some lights around campsite I was at. I have some solar yard lights I am thinking about using as I camp. If your the most lit up camp site your the least likely to be the one someones going to mess with I would think. I was going to ask in a thread about how to take 12volt DC battery and crank it down to what ever these yard lights use. Run a bit of wire and keep a few low voltage DC LED lights lit at night. I have also carried with me a personal protection type noise maker I got at a yard sale some years ago. You put a 9 volt battery in it and it has a lanyard with a pin on it that pulls out of the device to set it off. I've had it in my tent in case of a bear coming around but have never had to ue it. The thing will make your ears bleed it is so loud and anoying.
Dave
This topic is interesting when juxtaposed with THIS LINK.
and THIS LINK.

In an earlier instance, I was trying to communicate my propensity "for being careful" and others were annoyed by people leaving their porch lights on all night as a security measure. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
In an earlier instance, I was trying to communicate my propensity "for being careful" and others were annoyed by people leaving their porch lights on all night as a security measure. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.
I think many people turn on the porch light when they leave the trailer at night and use it as a beacon to return to. If that's the case then a porch light on could be interpretied as "nobody home".

Leaving the lights off makes the trailer less likely to be seen or noticed. This is especially true when boondocking. I would think that leaving the porch light on is like saying "here I am".
Old 08-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #31

Registry
Thumbs down

Quote:
Leaving the lights off makes the trailer less likely to be seen or noticed.
... by passers-by as it is being broken into.
... darkness covers a thief trying to pry/jimmy open the door!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
... by passers-by as it is being broken into.
... darkness covers a thief trying to pry/jimmy open the door!
In the places I like to camp I'd rather stealth than beacon.
Darkness also covers me sneaking up on the thief will club in my hands, that is if he can find my trailer in the dark.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I remember one time years ago when I used to tent camp, it was just me and my dog, a couple of guys came by to ask if they could borrow my axe.
Now usually I'd be more than willing to help someone out, but they gave me a bad feeling and the dog didn't seem too impressed by them either. Plus, WHO goes camping without an axe or hatchet or something to chop with? Just struck me as odd, so I didn't lend it. Maybe they were just trying to make conversation, and maybe I was being mean, but sometimes personal safety has to be more important. Besides, I sleep with my axe right beside me every night, so I suppose giving it away would be like loaning someone your gun if you have one.
The recurring theme seems to be:
1. Always trust your instincts
2. Use common sense
3. Never second guess yourself when dealing with strangers
4. Listen to your canine's companion's character judgements
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
4. Listen to your canine's companion's character judgements
I can go with ALL but this one.

Buddy thinks everyone loves him and he definitely Loves everyone.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #35

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Okay, so how about

4. If your dog finds someone not to his liking, trust the dog, there IS a reason for it, but

5. If your dog finds people to his liking, take that with a grain of salt too, as many dogs are just plain friendly with all, and you will need to assess numbers 1, 2, and 3 for yourself.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
... that is if he can find my trailer in the dark.
ahhhhh, white trailer and moonlight = glowing egg.

We've talked about porchlights in the past. I still like this idea:
Star Light Incorporated
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #37

Registry
We all have our levels of comfort and fear. I have very little fear that anything bad will happen while camping no matter where I camp. My fear level goes up when camped in a popular campground and more so in an expensive resort RV parks. The farther away from cities I get the lower my fear level goes. The lowest is anyplace over a mile from the nearest road, can't do that with the trailer.
The next best was at a place we went last summer. It was about 50 miles from the nearest town, then 25 miles from the highway on a paved road, then about 10 miles on a gravel road. The access to the site was barely visible in the day time, it was behind a bunch of trees and brush. We saw 3 or 4 cars and 1 motorcycle the entire week-end. I doubt that anybody but the motorcycle rider saw us, we were out walking on the road when he came by.
If we'd kept the porch light on it would have been a beacon for anybody close, light shinning through the brush and trees.

Bottom Line, I think...
If you fear that somebody or something is going to bother you, do what you need to do the reduce those fears. Not because something is likely to happen, but not dealing with the fears will reduce the enjoyment of the camping trip.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Don't forget the "test" button on your smoke or carbon monoxide alarm as an emergency alarm. If truly desperate this would give either a 4 legged or 2 legged intruder a loud warning.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #39

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
We all have our levels of comfort and fear.
My fear level goes up when camped in a popular campground...
The farther away from cities I get the lower my fear level goes.
I can agree with that!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #40

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Don't forget the "test" button on your smoke or carbon monoxide alarm as an emergency alarm. If truly desperate this would give either a 4 legged or 2 legged intruder a loud warning.
Good Idea, hadn’t thought of that.

<span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">(We use it mostly to alert us when dinner is done. )</span>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote