Best bedding solution - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Bedding

I have a Scamp 13 . Since I usually go alone , I removed the heavy top bunk & added a custom fitted lower mattress . When ready for bed , I lift the custom mattress , drop the couch back & replace custom over it . This way I have two sleep options . 1 , table left up & sleep on front or 2 , table down as bed & use couch with small alum. folding table . When with wife , she prefers front & I utilize table . I agree with others using sleeping bags .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
I have a Scamp 13 . Since I usually go alone , I removed the heavy top bunk & added a custom fitted lower mattress . When ready for bed , I lift the custom mattress , drop the couch back & replace custom over it . This way I have two sleep options . 1 , table left up & sleep on front or 2 , table down as bed & use couch with small alum. folding table . When with wife , she prefers front & I utilize table . I agree with others using sleeping bags .
I too thought about removing the top bunk and widening the mattress/lower cushion. As a couch back, the top bunk takes up about 4" of space that could be used for sleeping. That may be enough to make it comfortable for an adult. But, I didn't understand what you meant by the part I made bold in your quote. Got a Photo?
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #23

Illinois
Bedding

I meant I sleep on the front bunk in the front of the trailer . I use the original bottom of the front bunk as the back of the couch when awake . The original top bunk , because of weight , I removed & set aside in case I deside to sell & new owner may want bunks .
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
That was my first mod when I brought home my brand new Scamp - I removed useless to me front top bunk/couch back. After that the low bunk makes a nice sleep area for an adult.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
That was my first mod when I brought home my brand new Scamp - I removed useless to me front top bunk/couch back. After that the low bunk makes a nice sleep area for an adult.
Maybe yes.. maybe no.. I so wanted to use the front sofa as a bed but no matter how I try to do that it does not work for me. As they say, YMMV esp if you are less than six foot tall.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #26

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
"it's nice to be small" This is my favourite saying when people WOW when I park next to a big rig
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #27

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
I meant I sleep on the front bunk in the front of the trailer . I use the original bottom of the front bunk as the back of the couch when awake . The original top bunk , because of weight , I removed & set aside in case I deside to sell & new owner may want bunks .
I get it now. Use the old bottom cushion for a couch back. I like this idea.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile What we do

We leave the rear bed as a bed and use the front, small bed as a table and seats during the day, if we need it. Just the two of us, we eat, play cards, dice games, etc. on the small table. My wife gets the large bed because she is an active sleeper, whereas I sleep like a log and get the cozy, small front bed. We set the laptop on the closed stove and both sit on the large bed for watching DVDs. One thing we found is we bought two of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iu[7].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	100124

(Ours aren't purple) They make sitting much more comfortable.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #29

Illinois
bedding

As a bed topper for the table/bed I use a Thermarest mattress . My wife sewed 2 slip-on covers for it ; one is flannel for colder weather , & the other is knit for warm weather . I was lucky & years ago I purchased a 48 " Thermarest which I use for the front bunk . I've searched for but unable to find another as this has probably been discontinued .
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a 16' Casita Freedom in which we camp totally off-the-grid in Baja for 3-4 months at a time each winter. We turned the dinette into a full time bed, therefore we eat, read, relax etc at the captains chairs / table configeration. I modified a euro style slatted bed frame from IKEA w/ a 2" memory foam mattress on top of the Casita dinette base. After 30+ years of camping this is IMO the most comfortable option. Not only is it comfortable but it breaths and retards moisture build-up under the mattress.

Since we don't have to re-assemble the dinette each day we use sheets and comforters but in the past we have also used a double wide sleeping bag. Big Agnes makes some great bags which feature a sleeve that accepts an air mattress so as to never slip off. It's great. Here's a link:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Pr.../Bag/filters/7

Here's a picture and link to the bed base (which is currently in my van). Sweet dreams.

LÖNSET Slatted bed base - , Queen - IKEA

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7687.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	100287
Chris M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #31

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We just returned from a 2-week road trip to Mount Rainier and Olympic National Parks in Washington State. We drove from our home near San Francisco. In spite of relatively cold, damp and sometimes wet weather (what else would it be in Washington) my husband and I agree that sleeping in our 13' Scamp was very comfortable. We have also slept in hot weather using the same bedding system.

The previous idea of using two sleeping bags zipped together, while a good one, does not work for me as I have never felt comfortable in sleeping bags and it feels too much like "roughing it". For me, they provide warmth needed in order to survive the outdoors, period. I find the slick nylon exterior to be uncomfortable to the touch.

Being a "glamper" I find the colors and prints (if you can find them) to be, frankly, ugly. Here's a previous thread on a similar topic that was posted on this FGRV Forum http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-72750.html. If you wish to find my other postings regarding bedding simply run a search for "Gilda bed (or bedding)". Click on the FGRV Search button, go to the bottom of the drop-down menu for the "Search Site/Google" window and enter the words you desire.

Basically, I cut a 2" thermal mattress pad lengthwise and to fit the bed space. I covered each piece with 100% cotton jersey fabric with a long zipper at the end to provide for easy removal and laundering. These custom pads roll up and fit nicely into the bench seat hatches.

I used two comforters for bedding, each approximately 80" x 90". When folded in half the comforters fit flat on the bed mattress. On one I sewed 1" buttons on the sides and on the other comforter I sewed loops. When I want two comforters I "button/loop" them together OR, for one layer, I sleep between the comforters. If I need more warmth I add a blanket (fleece, wool or other) on top. Since I sleep more warmly than my DH I simply unbutton the top comforter and fold it back for a lighter cover.

I understand that everyone needs to find which bedding system works best for them. I humbly suggest this one knowing that it only take minimal sewing skills. If you do not sew you could ask a friend or even your local cleaners/alterations to sew this system.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #32

Name: Gord & Linda
Trailer: HitchHiker 5W & Casita 17LD
TX,USA: Oct-Apr & AB, CDA: April - Oct
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcly View Post
I have a 13' scamp and am about to try it out. One question is, what is the most convenient bottom part of the bedding. I was thinking of something like a twin quilt would be comfy. I think a sheet would be a PITA. The cushions themselves are comfy enough for me.
I'm planning on full timing but not until I practice a bit. I'll be spending some time on this forum.
We highly recomend using a "RVSuperbag" which is similar to the now defunct "Travasak"

One side for winter and the other for summer with velcro attached fitted sheets. We have used these fulltiming on our cruising yacht for 10 years and RVs for another 10. They will also make custom configurations on request. Expensive but well worth the money.

URL is RVSuperbag.com
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #33

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Here's another sleep solution that just popped up in my Facebook page. A bit pricy, though. https://abigailmackenzie.com/product...-sleeping-bags
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #34

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Full-Time Sleep

Hi Michael,
You'll figure out what works best for you when you get more nights spent in the Scamp.
I full-time in a 13' Scamp, and modified the living space to work for me. The dinette stays a bed always (I took out all the hardware that interfered and injured when accidentally bumping it). On top of the cushions is a 2" pad cut-to-size for comfort. The couch/bunk area was of no use to me, so I tore it out and built an executive desk. The photo was taken in 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
desk.jpg  
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #35

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
Hi Michael,
....... I tore it out and built an executive desk. The photo was taken in 2014.
I love it. Great idea. Is that a stool or a chair w/back?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #36

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
It's a mechanic rolling stool picked up at Harbor Freight. The tray works great to hold a pair of shoes (esp. when they're wet or dirty). While underway, the stool is laid down to keep it from rolling.
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #37

Name: Robyn
Trailer: 75 Trillium
Ontario
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might be of interest to others. We purchased a natural latex mattress from Ikea. We bought a king size and cut it with an electric bread knife, we use one part on the double side and the other part on the couch side. We keep the bed made up full time and we use sheets and comforters. Best thing about the mattress is it will not get mouldy because it is natural latex and we were able to cut it so it fit perfectly in the space which is a 13ft Trillium. The downside is that it is very heavy so we don't have access to the compartments under the bed. Also it is very firm so we put a memory foam eggshell on it.
Dylemma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylemma1 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might be of interest to others. We purchased a natural latex mattress from Ikea. We bought a king size and cut it with an electric bread knife, we use one part on the double side and the other part on the couch side. We keep the bed made up full time and we use sheets and comforters. Best thing about the mattress is it will not get mouldy because it is natural latex and we were able to cut it so it fit perfectly in the space which is a 13ft Trillium. The downside is that it is very heavy so we don't have access to the compartments under the bed. Also it is very firm so we put a memory foam eggshell on it.
I was looking at the 4 inch gel memory foam/ firm foam mattress topper from Walmart. It's 2 foams already glued together. It will be cut up and going into my Boler 1700.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #39

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcly View Post
I'm not really sure. I'll start out by wanting to use the dinette. I can see that getting old quickly though. I'm making something that uses a range cover for a table in front of the bunk. If that works out I'd probably not use the dinette.
I have to say, that's why we'll be moving to a 16' or 17' trailer. We needed more padding on the cushions when using them as a mattress so we added a 4" foam layer. That caused a problem when trying to use the dinette because there's not much room for that kind of storage in a 13' Scamp. I managed to wedge them into the bathroom but, as you can imagine, that produced its own difficulties.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #40

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
I have to say, that's why we'll be moving to a 16' or 17' trailer. We needed more padding on the cushions when using them as a mattress so we added a 4" foam layer. That caused a problem when trying to use the dinette because there's not much room for that kind of storage in a 13' Scamp. I managed to wedge them into the bathroom but, as you can imagine, that produced its own difficulties.
:if you had just thrown the old padding away and installed High Density Foam say 5" and then you would not have had to store it anywhere.
Works great as far as foam goes, nice part is it lasts forever.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote