Best bedding solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
Best bedding solution

I have a 13' scamp and am about to try it out. One question is, what is the most convenient bottom part of the bedding. I was thinking of something like a twin quilt would be comfy. I think a sheet would be a PITA. The cushions themselves are comfy enough for me.
I'm planning on full timing but not until I practice a bit. I'll be spending some time on this forum.
michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #2

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Are you planning to use the dinette and make the bed each night?
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
convenient bedding

My wife and I are the proud owners of a 70's Compact Junior. Our issues were a)time and effort needed to make up the sleeping area with multiple layers b) tendency for bedding to twist during sleeping so therefore 'cold feet'

The solution we chose was to go to Walmart and buy identical full zip open light adult size sleeping bags. Zipping them together as a large bedroll we now are content.------- No twisting bedding. -------Lays out in mere seconds----------seperate temperature control as we each have a zipper on our side --------------proximity of the other person as a bed heater is not only cozy but could lead to many other imaginative activities!

Enjoy your future camping

Jish
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have found that sleeping bags work great for us. Easy to make up the bed, easy to put away. No need for lots of bedding to deal with.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Sleeping bags seem the simplest to us and we'll start using them again as cool weather appears. First they need laundering ... what type of laundry soap is good? Maybe this should be a different thread?
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Are you planning to use the dinette and make the bed each night?
I'm not really sure. I'll start out by wanting to use the dinette. I can see that getting old quickly though. I'm making something that uses a range cover for a table in front of the bunk. If that works out I'd probably not use the dinette.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jish View Post

The solution we chose was to go to Walmart and buy identical full zip open light adult size sleeping bags. Zipping them together as a large bedroll we now are content.------- No twisting bedding. -------Lays out in mere seconds----------seperate temperature control as we each have a zipper on our side --------------proximity of the other person as a bed heater is not only cozy but could lead to many other imaginative activities!

Enjoy your future camping

Jish
I like the sleeping bag idea. I didm't know you could zip them together. i'll be by myself so imaginative activities will be limited. I'll probably want to sleep on top with a light cover unless it gets cold.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You get two bags of different weights. I have a 3lb on the top and 5lb on the bottom. In cold weather, the 5lb goes on top.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You get two bags of different weights. I have a 3lb on the top and 5lb on the bottom. In cold weather, the 5lb goes on top.
that's brilliant!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcly View Post
that's brilliant!
Ditto!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
We had a mattress company make a one inch memory foam topper that fits on our dinette/bed perfectly (it has two rounded corners and is odd dimensions). Had them make a custom zip case for it as well. But then I took a duvet cover, sewed it to fit in top of that, and that is now our "bottom sheet" that folds/rolls up or rolls out in 2 seconds, and when it's laundry time, we just pull the duvet cover off and launder that. Don't remember what company we got the mattress from but can look it up.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #12

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
I did something similar with a feather bed (instead of memory foam). I put it in a duvet cover and sewed a flat sheet to the bottom edge. Makes it so easy to roll out and nothing needs to be tucked in around the sides.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #13

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
Another thing that works well, especially in warm weather it to sew a top sheet to a bottom sheet at the bottom. Voila, no more cold feet!!
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #14

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
We keep the dinette "bed" in the Lil Bigfoot made all of the time now. I use an eggcrate mattress topper (double bed size), which we trimmed to fit the round corners of the trailer.

I plan to use a mattress pad to create a zipper cover for this, but in the meantime keep it covered with two flannel double bottom sheets. These just go onto and around the topper, they are not tucked down around the dinette cushions. (I tried that first; it was impossible and thankless) The friction between the foam and the flannel also seems to keep the sheets well in place.

But I do tuck the top sheet and blanket and/or quilt down between the cushion and the trailer around the foot of the bed, next to the sink area, and partway up the other side (leaving enough room for the late-to-bed partner to get the covers back and get IN).

The tension between the cushion and the carpeted side of the trailer does a great job of keeping the top covers tucked in, so this is pretty easy and has worked really well.

I'm using a double bed comforter on this right now, but it is too big (IMHO) and I think a twin comforter would fit this space just right.

That's my bedtime story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #15

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I wanted a mattress topper to add comfort to the bed. I solved, or simplified the unruly sheet problem as such:

- Purchased a twin size topper
- Purchased a full size flat sheet and pillow cases
- Measured and folded the sheet over the topper, then used a sewing machine to stitch up the two ends.
- I left the open long side open with a flap on which I folded the corners in to form an envelope shape.
- I just slide the topper into the "envelope" and tuck the flap under the topper.

This holds the sheet quite nicely on the topper, and makes rolling the topper in the morning a one step process, secured with a bungee.

In the evening, just unroll the topper, tuck the flap and climb on with an open sleeping bag or quilt as a blanket. Quick with little fuss.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use both the large dinette and the side dinette at times. We like to experience both setups. You have a nice sized large table, why not use it, why just turn it into a one way use only feature. Turning it back to a bed on both tables takes minutes. My thoughts only. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
We use both the large dinette and the side dinette at times. We like to experience both setups. You have a nice sized large table, why not use it, why just turn it into a one way use only feature. Turning it back to a bed on both tables takes minutes. My thoughts only. Carl
I agree with you, Carl.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I wanted a mattress topper to add comfort to the bed. I solved, or simplified the unruly sheet problem as such:
---------------
....This holds the sheet quite nicely on the topper, and makes rolling the topper in the morning a one step process, secured with a bungee.
Nice. What kind of topper? Where do you store it after it's rolled? Seems like it would be big. I suppose I could just roll it to the foot and leave it there since I can't sit on two cushions at the same time.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #19

Florida
Thank you all. These are great ideas.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I sometimes store the bedroll under the table at the back, sometimes I put it in the back of my TV (F150 with a cap), plenty of room there.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote