Best toilet for boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Lots of great ideas, and I especially like the fact that they vary widely in cost from next to nothing (bucket and swim noodle) to Cadillac (Nature's Head). I really liked the Cleanwaste website. They had stuff called "Poo Powder" and a device called a "Pee Wee". Who knew that toilet shopping could be so entertaining and would bring a smile to my face!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If there is a trash bin available, one could use a pail lined with a bag, and some kitty litter. The 'seat' can be created by slitting a pool noodle lengthwise and fitting it over the pail's rim; the noodle will also hold the bag in place.
Mike .Where does one dispose of the contaminated kitty litter . I can't imagine they would want you to dispose of it in the same manner as dumping your holding tanks . Can you safely dispose of it in the same way as normal household trash

Old 08-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Mike .Where does one dispose of the contaminated kitty litter . I can't imagine they would want you to dispose of it in the same manner as dumping your holding tanks . Can you safely dispose of it in the same way as normal household trash
Yes human waste can be disposed of in your regular garbage as long as it is in a bag or container. Think diapers or adult Depends, etc, totally legal to through in the garbage.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My cat poo goes in the city trash all the time, where it gets picked up and hauled to the landfill. Human poo can certainly go in the campground dumpster and get hauled to the landfill, too.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I am thinking a phased or graduated approach to long term waste storage/disposal is indicated. It may depend on what type of “primary” facility your trailer has. If it has a traditional onboard black tank system than perhaps that could be supplemented with either an external caddy or an Eco-safe which also eventually dumps in the traditional manner. I like the Eco-safe over a caddy simply because it allows one to have a separate system either inside or outside in a small tent. Careful management of “liquid” waste and intermittent disposal thereof could led to an impressive ability to store a lot of “dry” (#2) waste. One might need to be careful that their black tank did not become “constipated” with mostly dry waste though.

If your primary is dry system, then a lot of bags and a secure method to store them are indicated. It is probably technically legal but I am not really comfortable disposing of human waste as ordinary trash. Yes I get the diaper argument but honestly think that is a separate issue. I know this is not a gentle topic of discussion but it is a real issue for long-term boondocking in an egg. We simply do not have the huge tanks of a motorhome or 5er.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are two parts to long term boondocking, water and dumping. Every one handles the water issue with a 'n' gallon portable tank to refill their water tank.

In Newfoundland in the provincial park you would see seasonal people in unserviced sites come for the weekend with really big water tanks in the back of their truck. They could fill them when they got to the park or bring them filled. For dumping they all had those towable blue tanks. A 20 gallon blue tank is probably sufficient for about a week of usage in a Scamp for two if you're careful.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
If there is a trash bin available, one could use a pail lined with a bag, and some kitty litter. The 'seat' can be created by slitting a pool noodle lengthwise and fitting it over the pail's rim; the noodle will also hold the bag in place.
Great idea about the pool noodle. I'll try it. For years I have used a three gallon bucket as toilet in my RV. It's lower than a five gallon one, and is a perfect size to use which conveniently holds the plastic Walmart bags as a disposable liner. Insert the bag inside the bucket and carefully stretch the bag's opening over the rim and there you have it...a NO COST toilet for solids. Just make sure your bag has no hole. When finished, remove bag, twist end and tie a knot in the end and put into trash receptacle. It wouldn't require the pool noodle to further secure the bag on the rim because it is stretched onto it and also fits into the three gallon bucket's bottom nicely but it certainly would be more comfortable.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #22
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Best toilet for boondocking?

Plastic bags are not biodegradable and untreated human waste (or un-buried) can potentially spread disease. Really not a good idea. Use the bucket, cut the bottom off, and set it over a hole you dig.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Pleae, let's not re-open the idea of dumping bags of human waste (except what can be packaged in a disposable diaper) in trash cans and dumpsters. It's a bad idea, potentially illegal in most areas, and not nice when you or someone's kids step in what can leak out, and it gets tracked who knows where.

If in doubt, ask the campground ranger or host. I highly doubt if you will ever get a positive answer to the idea.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We love the cassette toilet in our Lil Snoozy. I just dig a hole and empty it.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We love the cassette toilet in our Lil Snoozy. I just dig a hole and empty it.
Oh my
Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Years ago on a group bicycle ride through the Canyon Lands we used something similar - - - we called a “Groover”, for obvious reasons.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #27

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Years ago on a group bicycle ride through the Canyon Lands we used something similar - - - we called a “Groover”, for obvious reasons.
A truly authentic, traditional "Groover" is constructed using a plastic bag in a 50 cal ammunition box. Pool noodles and other modern frills are only for the weak and people with tender posteriors.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use the Coleman porta potty that came with our used Scamp. The one that came with the trailer fits under the front bench or the table top bed when down. I had to replace the original unit, but I bought the exact same model and kept the old 2 piece lower compartment. Now I have twice the capacity by swapping out the filled storage. The storage unit is small and easy to carry about when your in your car getting what ever and finding a legal place to dump it. Out here there is no, just dig a hole and dump it. That will get you in trouble in a fast way if caught doing that. We camp rurally about half the time with the porta potty taking full use of 2 people. We spend allot of time roaming the desert with our 4-wd and taking this potty out with us does double duty. keeps everyone happy especially the lady folks. One of my list of projects is to build a support base that when the base is upside down the potty fits into the base taking no storage space and when flipped over raises the seat level but wont allow the potty to slide around. The low seat height is becoming an issue but the storage locations cannot be compromised in a 13 foot trailer. Projects, projects, projects the closer I get to finishing one the list keeps getting longer. Self inflected insanity.

Tags
boondocking