Best toilet for boondocking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #21

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If there is a trash bin available, one could use a pail lined with a bag, and some kitty litter. The 'seat' can be created by slitting a pool noodle lengthwise and fitting it over the pail's rim; the noodle will also hold the bag in place.
Great idea about the pool noodle. I'll try it. For years I have used a three gallon bucket as toilet in my RV. It's lower than a five gallon one, and is a perfect size to use which conveniently holds the plastic Walmart bags as a disposable liner. Insert the bag inside the bucket and carefully stretch the bag's opening over the rim and there you have it...a NO COST toilet for solids. Just make sure your bag has no hole. When finished, remove bag, twist end and tie a knot in the end and put into trash receptacle. It wouldn't require the pool noodle to further secure the bag on the rim because it is stretched onto it and also fits into the three gallon bucket's bottom nicely but it certainly would be more comfortable.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Best toilet for boondocking?

Plastic bags are not biodegradable and untreated human waste (or un-buried) can potentially spread disease. Really not a good idea. Use the bucket, cut the bottom off, and set it over a hole you dig.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Pleae, let's not re-open the idea of dumping bags of human waste (except what can be packaged in a disposable diaper) in trash cans and dumpsters. It's a bad idea, potentially illegal in most areas, and not nice when you or someone's kids step in what can leak out, and it gets tracked who knows where.

If in doubt, ask the campground ranger or host. I highly doubt if you will ever get a positive answer to the idea.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We love the cassette toilet in our Lil Snoozy. I just dig a hole and empty it.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We love the cassette toilet in our Lil Snoozy. I just dig a hole and empty it.
Oh my
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If there is a trash bin available, one could use a pail lined with a bag, and some kitty litter. The 'seat' can be created by slitting a pool noodle lengthwise and fitting it over the pail's rim; the noodle will also hold the bag in place.
Years ago on a group bicycle ride through the Canyon Lands we used something similar - - - we called a “Groover”, for obvious reasons.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Years ago on a group bicycle ride through the Canyon Lands we used something similar - - - we called a “Groover”, for obvious reasons.
A truly authentic, traditional "Groover" is constructed using a plastic bag in a 50 cal ammunition box. Pool noodles and other modern frills are only for the weak and people with tender posteriors.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use the Coleman porta potty that came with our used Scamp. The one that came with the trailer fits under the front bench or the table top bed when down. I had to replace the original unit, but I bought the exact same model and kept the old 2 piece lower compartment. Now I have twice the capacity by swapping out the filled storage. The storage unit is small and easy to carry about when your in your car getting what ever and finding a legal place to dump it. Out here there is no, just dig a hole and dump it. That will get you in trouble in a fast way if caught doing that. We camp rurally about half the time with the porta potty taking full use of 2 people. We spend allot of time roaming the desert with our 4-wd and taking this potty out with us does double duty. keeps everyone happy especially the lady folks. One of my list of projects is to build a support base that when the base is upside down the potty fits into the base taking no storage space and when flipped over raises the seat level but wont allow the potty to slide around. The low seat height is becoming an issue but the storage locations cannot be compromised in a 13 foot trailer. Projects, projects, projects the closer I get to finishing one the list keeps getting longer. Self inflected insanity.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Pleae, let's not re-open the idea of dumping bags of human waste (except what can be packaged in a disposable diaper) in trash cans and dumpsters. It's a bad idea, potentially illegal in most areas, and not nice when you or someone's kids step in what can leak out, and it gets tracked who knows where.

If in doubt, ask the campground ranger or host. I highly doubt if you will ever get a positive answer to the idea.
Plastic bags dumped in a port o john or forest service pit toilets will get you in trouble. They cause issues with suction pumps.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Extra Loo Capacity.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
. I had to replace the original unit, but I bought the exact same model and kept the old 2 piece lower compartment. Now I have twice the capacity by swapping out the filled storage.
OMG... I didn't even think of that use.... By a fluke I was sent an entire lower section for my Dometic Sea/Land portapotty (I had asked for just a spare seal kit, and even that was free) Now, if necessary, I have doubled my black tank capacity.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Steve I really like the idea of stowing the potti inside a box that becomes a base to raise the seat height. Little lost space to store and a more comfortable "throne" on which to sit. Heck I might have to start hauling a couple of magazines or a news paper if it gets comfortable enough.

I'm thinking that if the sides were notched so that it had "legs" at the corners it would be easier to get stable on uneven ground. And if box was built to be slightly lower than the seat the potti might still be used while in the box.

General rule is everyone sits when using the porta pottie or the toilet we had in the motor home. Especially going down the road. Lot less possibility of mess (or miss) that way.

In the State forest (last time I checked) burial of waste from black or grey tank was allowed as long as certain criteria were followed. Not sure what the deal is with National forest, and some areas or states have different rules. I would think it wise and responsible to ask rangers or check regulations before assuming it was ok to dig a hole and dump when in a different area or one not recently visited. Things change so sometimes rules do to.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
As TomK mentioned in the following thread, I built a box out of 1x4s with
a 3/8s" plywood top/bottom and brought it to the LBL rally. I had
measured the home facilities and realized that about a 4" rise is what
I needed to bring my particular porta-potti up to the home height.

I intended to use 4 1x4s but, as I was about to screw+glue the last
one in place, I realized that leaving the 4th side open would allow me
to remove the porta-potti without the box if I wanted to and it would
allow me a bit more room to push the box+potti back a bit more into
the cabinet and store some small things in front of the porta-potti a
little easier.

Unfortunately, I was thinking more about level trailer floors or level
ground and did not notch out the sides to create "legs". I guess that I
could now do that with a jigsaw if I need to?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...y-67066-2.html

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #33

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
A truly authentic, traditional "Groover" is constructed using a plastic bag in a 50 cal ammunition box. Pool noodles and other modern frills are only for the weak and people with tender posteriors.
Ya got me on that one, Terry. The one we used was exactly as you described and we were allowed only #2's in it.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hussey View Post
. When finished, remove bag, twist end and tie a knot in the end and put into trash receptacle.
Many parts of the NA this is a *really* bad idea.... if caught it could result in a big fine due to the health risks it presents!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Portable toilers

Here is what the BLM says:

http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...bletoilets.pdf

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #36

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Another Toilet idea for MFGT

Another Toilet idea for Molded Fiberglass Trailers. Look at the roof water tank for shower.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6090.jpg  
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #37

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Another Toilet idea for Molded Fiberglass Trailers. Look at the roof water tank for shower. Chuck
That is the largest "solar" shower I have ever seen. And somebody will be along to point out that the potty throws the tounge weight all off.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'm going to have to quit checking the forum while drinking my morning coffee... almost choked laughing at that one.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: Coleman
Arizona
Bumper Dumper

I have been using a Bumper Dumper with Wag Bags made for the Pett Toilet.

For privacy a pop up Outback shelter.

See the review: The Jeep Expeditions Group™ - Exploration, Education, Conservation & Preservation.......... Live The Adventure - JEEPEXPEDITIONS.ORG

Wag Bags at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WAG-BAG-Toilet...words=wag+bags

Bumper Dumper:
camping toilet bumper dumper portable toilet hunting toilet

Hope that helps some of you
steelponycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #40

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Got to be an Exhibitionist to use those toilets. No privacy at all eh!
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking