Blogs & television - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
Blogs & television

I have spent the past week searching for full-time RVer blogs but since we have a Casita, I'm particularly interested in learning how people live in fiberglass trailers. I've found a few full-timer fiberglass blogs, but I'd love to find more. If you have a blog, or know of one, please send me an email, or leave a comment on my blog, Casita Escapes.

I also discovered I can create a poll on my blog, so I just entered one about how much (if at all) you watch television while traveling/camping in your trailer. I'd appreciate your vote and any other help, comments, or suggestions you can give. Thanks,

~~ Glenda ~~
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I've got links to a few (including yours!) at JV's Fiberglass Trailer Links. I just added a couple of new ones 2 days ago...
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Vickie and Ian came to our Cherokee (NC) Rally, and wrote all about us, (and everyone else they've encountered on the way). They are Burro owners from B.C. , with a real gift of writing, and a good sense of humor, too.
Burroedtime.blogspot.com
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I can answer your TV question. I have been without regular TV for over 6 mos and actually don't miss what it does to me. I find I can waste hours on end if its on. And do.

I am not anti TV at all, but since I simply am rarely in a reception area, I manage to live without it. It doesn't take long.. no jonesing.. quitting coffee is worse :-P

I miss daily news, but NPR is actually fine entertainment and my radio is on it most of the time. I use it as I did the TV in my past life.. its background noise with some interest.

NPR is just about anywhere.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We spent most of the summer in a campground in Northeast Wisconsinin our 5th wheel until we found a permanent place to live for the winter near where my husband works. We were able to bootleg the internet from the campground which enabled us to watch Netflix. Otherwise when we are out of internet signal, our own movies on the laptop. Otherwise Gina D. has the right idea. I have been forced to listen to Rush Limbaugh all the way across North Dakota a couple of times. Either one numbs you.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I don't full-time, but I thick (and have posted this before) that an iPad is perfect for someone who spends a lot of time in a small camper. Especially now, since you can get a Verizon iPad (they have better 3G coverage than AT&T.

I am on my iPad right now. Works great in wifi areas, and a 3G version works great just about anywhere you have cell phone reception. I can email, surf the web, blog, watch Netflix and other streaming movies and TV, listen to streaming radio (NPR has a great iPad app), touch up and email photos, play games, listen to music, read books, make Skype calls, etc.

All of this in a package that takes up about 1/10th of the space and weight of my laptop, and lasts 10 hours or more on a charge. If you type a lot of emails, or otherwise type a lot, I highly recommend getting the wireless keyboard. It is extremely light and thin and I can't even tell you how long the battery lasts, because they haven't run down yet. I am typing on the on-screen keyboard at the moment.

Anyway, that's my plug for the iPad... My laptop hasn't left the house since I bought it in May. I also have an iPhone, but the larger screen makes the iPad a completely different experience. I am hoping the 2nd gen iPad will have a camera so that it can make video calls like the new iPhone.

By the way, 3G service from AT&T is $15 or $25 a month, depending on how much data you use. I have the original $30 unlimited plan, but that one is not available any more.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaW View Post
I also discovered I can create a poll on my blog, so I just entered one about how much (if at all) you watch television while traveling/camping in your trailer.
Glenda,

We started out with a digital tuner for the laptop. This allows one to use an antenna, cable or a satellite receiver. We added a 22" external monitor - worked well until the software needed to be reinstalled and didn't have the disc.... So we bought a 22" Vizio from Costco and run it and the satellite receiver with a 400W inverter.

I spent hours finding out how to do DirecTV in an RV without a contract. It worked for me in the middle of nowhere - I got to see the Giants win !!!

If we are on the road we do without. If we are on one place for a few days we use an antenna of urban, satellite if rural, cable if in a park. We are not video addicts but it is nice to be able to get news from sources we trust and watch the 2 or 3 shows a week we like.

If anyone is interested in what I found from DirecTV I'd be glad to share.

Tom

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
Oh, I'd love to know how to get DirecTV from our camper. We have it at home cause cable is never gona make it out to my neck of the woods. Neither is DSL so we have a Hughes dish also. I love satellite except when it storming & goes out. Anyway, I initially got a TV tuner to use with my laptop but don't have any antennae so haven't had too much success with it. The ipad sounds more intriguing all the time since I don't want to make fon calls from it anyway - just read my email & blogs.

Thanks everyone for the info,

~~ Glenda ~~
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would love to hear the DirecTV how to as well. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would love to hear the DirecTV how to as well. :-)
Well, here we go then… There are two discussions here, one for those who are already DirecTV (DTV) customers and another for those who are not. First, however, there are some issues which are common to both groups.

In order to get DTV in your RV you will need a receiver (tuner box), an antenna (dish), LNB (round thingy that points back into the dish), RG 6 cable between dish and receiver (up to 300 feet). A tripod for the dish might be a good thing. For viewing you will need a television set or laptop with tuner card and a short cable to connect to the receiver.

A small “round” DTV dish with a single LNB will get all of the cable channels in the package you choose but not the local or network channels. If you want local channels you must get an oval dish with a triple LNB and you will only receive them if you are close to your service zip code. On the road you can get East or West Coast network feeds (for a $15 fee) with the simple dish/LNB.

You will need a source of 110V AC power - shore power, generator, or batteries and inverter and a way to recharge the batteries (solar or generator).

I bought my receiver, dish/LNB and tripod on Craig’s List for next to nothing. They are also available on Ebay and don’t forget your local classified ads.

When we are not on shore power or using the generator we use a 400W inverter hooked into a battery bank of two group 27 12V deep cycle marine batteries. We can watch 5+ hours of TV (World Series game) and recharge the batteries with the generator in 45 to 90 minutes using a 10amp charger.

For those with DTV accounts: You can take one of your receivers with you from home. You will need a dish/LNB, a way to mount and aim it (tripod), and enough RG 6 cable to connect the dish to the receiver. You will get all the cable channels but no local or network channels if you stray too far from your home zip code.

If you want network feeds (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX , PBS, CW) or have other questions call the DTV 800 number and keep punching buttons or saying “Customer Service Representative” until you get a live person. Ask to be transferred to the “RV Department.” This will put you in touch with a person who knows how to deal with RV, on the road issues. Right now the fee for the network feeds is $15 but if enough of us complain it could change.

For those without DTV accounts:If you want to use DTV at home you can pick a package, sign up for a two year contract and call the RV Department. If you have a contract there are restrictions on when and how long you can suspend service so it may not be cost effective unless you use DTV as your home service. If you don’t want a contract it is still possible to get service and you can suspend it when you want to without penalties or restrictions (after the account has been open for two months).

For no contract service you must own your equipment. We bought our dish and receiver from Craig’s List. Be sure to get the name and address of the person/account holder from whom you buy your receiver. You will need that info to reactivate the receiver in your name.

Call the DTV 800 number and, when you get a live representative, ask to be transferred to the “RV Department.” Tell them you own your equipment and want to open a month to month account at full price. The base package will cost $59 a month and there will be a $20 charge for a new access card for your receiver. If you want the network feed it is currently about $15 a month extra. This is pricey but after two months you can suspend and reactivate your account without restrictions. They will pro-rate partial months. We figured it was better to pay full price for 3 to 4 months a year than to pay 30% a month less for 2 years (24 months).

You will still need all of the gear listed above (dish, tripod, receiver, etc.).

So, to summarize:

Get your gear – receiver, dish, cable – together.

Call the DTV 800 number and ask for the “RV Department.”

If you do not want a contract or home service and own your equipment they will set it up for you.

Local channels are not available far from your home zip code.

Network feeds are available for about $15 a month extra.

To aim your dish is another issue – if anyone is interested I can give some info and tips.

Hope this helped.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OK, I made a blog.. finally :-P. It isn't in a glass trailer, but it is/will contain lots of in for on the lifestyle while in a SMALL trailer.

if ya care, here is is From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'll add your blog to the "Non Egg Small Trailer Blogs" section of my Fiberglass Trailer page at the next update.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
OK, I made a blog.. finally :-P. It isn't in a glass trailer, but it is/will conatian lots of infor on the lifestyle while in a SMALL trailer.

Very nice Gina You're an inspiration to the rest of us wannabe full-timers!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Wonderful UPLIFTING reading!

From Tumbleweeds To Tree Tops

Gina,
I just power cruised through your Blog. I loved your BIG conclusions about life. I had a best friend who waited and planned for his retirement at 65. He died of cancer just a month or two from retirement and never had the opportunity that all of us have...to get out of the hampster-like-spinning-wheel of life and do OTHER things that have been beckoning to us over the years. You hear of so many other people just like that.
I took an early retirement at 58, get a tiny small pension but manage quite nicely within that pension. I, too, would like to take off and see the world in my own little retro trailer, but have my elderly parents to watch out for. They were always there for me and I need to be there for them...I'm the big event in their lives...sometimes the ONLY event.
I'll look forward to catching with you at the NOG and Washington camping events! Have a great WARM winter. It's better NOT to be an Oregonian while the winter season is on...I'm sitting in Manzanita with the wind and rains slashing at my windows (although I do feel all warm and cozy while snuggled up inside!). There's always the bright side, huh?!
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Glad to hear you love your ipad- I've been holding out waiting to see if the next version has the camera for skype. I've read you don't have to sign up for a 3g plan but can buy it a month at a time - which is great for being on the road.
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
OK, I made a blog.. finally :-P. It isn't in a glass trailer, but it is/will contain lots of in for on the lifestyle while in a SMALL trailer.

Gina,

Your blog is great. I am looking forward to reading more.

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #17

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne VDK
Glad to hear you love your ipad- I've been holding out waiting to see if the next version has the camera for skype. I've read you don't have to sign up for a 3g plan but can buy it a month at a time - which is great for being on the road.
Yeah, I sometimes sound like an Apple commercial. I'm sitting in the lounge at the Toyota dealership right now waiting for new tires and an alignment. What would have been a miserable two hour wait on Christmas eve actually flew by, since I am able to surf the web, check my email, read the news, play on Facebook, and chat on forums. My car should be ready soon, and I'll be bummed out since I'll have to put my ipad down.

Regarding 3G: iPads are available with or wit 3G. Make sure you get a 3G model if you want to be able to use the internet and/or location services (GPS, etc) while you are away from wifi signals. You activate 3G right on the iPad itself... No phone call, no contract. It will automatically stay active from month to month unless you cancel it (which you can do right on the iPad, too). There are no hidden fees on the 3G service. If you pick the $24.99 service, for example, you'll be charged exactly $24.99.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I was an early adopter and got the original ipad -- and it is terrific for camping, except when we're in an area that doesn't have 3G coverage (which has been more often than not.) But if the campground has access to wireless, it works fine. The ipad has become my "take it anywhere" computer -- travel, work, cabin. Even without 3G, there's enough on it to keep me entertained on a rainy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne VDK View Post
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote