Broadband via Satellite - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
Mike,
This is the FAQ from HughesNet:
It's probably expensive though. I did remember something about how the dish needs to be 6 feet off the ground. What makes this more complicated is the fact that you will be transmitting to the satellite. The FCC regulates that. Don't know if the above helped or not but good luck.

Ted
Ted, It does not require to be 6 feet off the ground, at least the one I saw being used at Escapee. It does need to be line of sight and so trees and other obstructions can cause a problem.
__________________

__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
Mike, you turned it down earlier, but there's still Internet by Data Card, depending on the cell coverage in the places where you are likely to camp.
I have a Verizon EVDO air card. It works pretty well but can be painfully slow. We use it while traveling down the road and at Bandon SP. Good for email and forums. Not a good solution for intensive work.

That said, it did not work in many places we camped in Oregon - Jordan Valley (US-95), Lava Lake east side of Cascade Mtns (central Oregon). Both of which would have worked well with a satellite system. My customers needed a little fix and I could not help them. Had to leave early to take care of business.

I see Internet connection as one of 4 options.<blockquote>• Libraries (their computers, time limits, no software to do work, noise, etc.)
• EVDO Air cards (I have Verizon)
• Wi-Fi (subject to a hopefully free local broadcast)
• HughesNet Satellite (price and technical skill issues)</blockquote>Each system has its features and benefits, also its negatives.

There doesn’t seem to be a perfect solution.
__________________

__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 23
Mike,

Quote:
Ted, It does not require to be 6 feet off the ground, at least the one I saw being used at Escapee. It does need to be line of sight and so trees and other obstructions can cause a problem.
The following is from the link for one of the value added resellers:
http://www.groundcontrol.com/mobile-satellite-faq.htm

Quote:
Would the MSS fit on a small trailer?
The system can fit on any mobile platform that gives it room to turn around in place. The bottom of the dish rim must be at least six feet off the ground to [b]legally transmit.
(emphasis added)

I hope that clarifies it. Their system looks pretty neat, though, as it folds and automatically finds the satellite.

Ted
__________________
Ted Tuchsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Al V's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 314
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
a little off topic but might be useful. i started using a cell phone booster http://boatantenna.com/cellular/cellphone_...al_boosters.htm
and my cell phone through verizon to connect to internet . the free portion is painfully slow but you can up grade to a higher speed for a ? bucks more . the booster is really is the cats meow it get me out in places where before i had no signal to having 4 bars in the same area .
__________________
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Thanks Ted.

I think there is a difference between:
Stationary Access Platforms & Mobile Satellite Systems.

Stationary


Name:   stationary_access.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  7.1 KB


Mobile


Name:   mobile.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  7.1 KB


Mobile Satellite Systems are mounted to vehicles and require the six foot height. (I could be wrong, but that is what I understand.)

I am looking at a Stationary set up that I will move from time to time.
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
a little off topic but might be useful. i started using a cell phone booster http://boatantenna.com/cellular/cellphone_...al_boosters.htm
and my cell phone through verizon to connect to internet . the free portion is painfully slow but you can up grade to a higher speed for a ? bucks more . the booster is really is the cats meow it get me out in places where before i had no signal to having 4 bars in the same area .
Thanks Al.

Looks like it’s worth further investigation.
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
I posted the smart phone solution I'm checking in the other thread. So far I really like it although it isn't speedy. Got rid of the EVDO card and $59 a month and just use the unlimited internet on my Treo. If you get a signal on the phone you have Internet.
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
I posted the smart phone solution I'm checking in the other thread. So far I really like it although it isn't speedy. Got rid of the EVDO card and $59 a month and just use the unlimited internet on my Treo. If you get a signal on the phone you have Internet.
Do you connect via USB to your phone? Is it slower then your air card was?
__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Bigfoot Mike's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Posts: 7,317
Quote:
PDAnet is what I'm testing. Glad to hear that you have had success with it. The phone access is no problem, because if the phone didn't have access the Sprint PC card wouldn't have had access either. Sure makes more sense to use the Internet on the phone that we're already paying for.
I'm figuring that between that and finding coffee shops with wifi I can cover my work.

Anyone who has a smart phone and wants to try it you can get a trial version here. PDAnet
This cost is the same for the Teo was the same cost as the Aircard so I opted to NOT sign up for that. My wife and I both use our Aircard, one on my Mac & her Dell.

Do you know what the speed differences are?

__________________
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,828
Hey Mike,

Not sure what the cost is ur referring to. The Treo Unlimited Internet through Sprint is $15 month which I have to have anyway for the phone to work with my Exchange Server. The PDA net is a one time $34.95 for the software to hookup the phone and that's it for charges. You use the same synch cable for the phone and the laptop sees the phone as a usb modem.

It is a bit slower than the aircard, but not $45 a month difference slower. :-) I think it is rated at 184 and the card when I had it didn't do much better most of the time.

I'm still testing it, but I can remote desktop to my office system and work so far. I use it right now for a filler service when I can't hit wireless which is not that often anymore.
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Patrick M.'s Avatar
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Posts: 705
I see a lot of Internet satellite antennas on Class A's at campground. They all seem to have a blue light at night. Once in awhile I'll find one running unsecured WiFi and I'll pop on for a quick Internet fix.
__________________
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 251
I suspect the 6 foot regulation is to keep people out of the path of microwave transmissions.

Anyone know how much power these dishes transmit at? There's probably a good reason for the rule...
__________________
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #27
Member
 
Laura K.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 73
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Not sure what the cost is ur referring to. The Treo Unlimited Internet through Sprint is $15 month which I have to have anyway for the phone to work with my Exchange Server. The PDA net is a one time $34.95 for the software to hookup the phone and that's it for charges. You use the same synch cable for the phone and the laptop sees the phone as a usb modem.

It is a bit slower than the aircard, but not $45 a month difference slower. :-) I think it is rated at 184 and the card when I had it didn't do much better most of the time.

I'm still testing it, but I can remote desktop to my office system and work so far. I use it right now for a filler service when I can't hit wireless which is not that often anymore.
I could work from anywhere,so long as I have high speed internet...in a quiet location where I can do conf. calls. If only I could figure that out, I would rv full-time in the summer. Library's are too noisy. Panera's and coffee shops are great, but too public when you have to talk on the phone for 8-9 hours a day.

It would be perfect if I could work inside my trailer. How fast is the service when you go thru your cell phone? Is is comparable to cable internet for large files? Can you talk on the phone at the same time?
__________________
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #28
Member
 
Laura K.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 73
Quote:
I suspect the 6 foot regulation is to keep people out of the path of microwave transmissions.

Anyone know how much power these dishes transmit at? There's probably a good reason for the rule...

Yes. It has to be elevated for safety because of the microwave emmisions. (Warning...boring nerdy info follows.)

Even at 6 ft, it's not really good idea to sit in front of it. It shouldn't have enough power to cook you (like a microwave oven), but I've seen them cause sunburn-type rashes on techs who didn't turn them off before working on them. They can also be a dangerous for people with pace makers and other type devices controlled by radio frequencies. You'd prolly have to stand right in front of it to get a big enough dose to mess up a modern pace maker, but you wouldn't want to experiment on some unsuspecting neighbor with an older version.
__________________

__________________
Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Satellite? GordM General Chat 20 06-25-2010 01:17 AM
Satellite TV the VuQube Joy A Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 01-17-2008 04:37 PM
WiFi/Broadband Theft - London Pete Dumbleton General Chat 6 08-27-2007 06:24 PM
Free Broadband Internet George Cathcart Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 3 04-02-2007 09:18 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.