Broadband via Satellite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake

Click image for larger version

Name:	DirecWayTripod_5404.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	9125

Same monthly cost as the EVDO air cards... $59/mo.

America's #1 Choice for high speed Broadband by Satellite.

With HughesNet®, your super-fast, always-on, satellite Internet access is ready when you are—no dialing in, no waiting and no tied-up phone lines. You can download files in seconds, check email instantly and surf faster than you ever imagined. And HughesNet is compatible with Windows and Mac, so getting online anywhere in the contiguous U.S. is easy!

A good explanation: http://www.buygold.net/dw/direcway.htm
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Attachment 9125

Same monthly cost as the EVDO air cards... $59/mo.

America's #1 Choice for high speed Broadband by Satellite.

With HughesNet®, your super-fast, always-on, satellite Internet access is ready when you are—no dialing in, no waiting and no tied-up phone lines. You can download files in seconds, check email instantly and surf faster than you ever imagined. And HughesNet is compatible with Windows and Mac, so getting online anywhere in the contiguous U.S. is easy!

A good explanation: http://www.buygold.net/dw/direcway.htm
"WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, Will Robinson"

I "upgraded" from broadband to satellite about six weeks ago; it sucks.

I had broadband through a radio link to a tower in town (about 4 miles away) and I was dissatisfied because of slow downs when the server got busy.

I signed up with Dish Network satellite internet service from Wild Blue; it sucks.

After a rain, it takes two or three hours for the link to recover. I think it's because the dish stays wet. I've looked outside and see clear skies to the south and I still have no connection.

The worst problem, however, is caused by the inherent round trip delay from my modem through the satellite to the server on the ground; it sucks.

Downloading a file is no problem. Downloading some web pages takes forever (three or four minutes for some pages).

FGRV has no problems, thanks to Mr Sanders, but many sites are so slow it seems to take forever. The worst I've found is my on-line bank. After entering my login, it takes over two minutes for it to load the accounts summary page. Then when I click on Bill Pay, I sit for well over three minutes waiting for it to load the bill payment page.

Many web sites are designed such that each separate element requires a new connection to load. I can watch the bottom of my screen and see "connecting...," "waiting...," "loading...," over and over again for three or four minutes while each element of the page loads. I realize this is poor web site design, but it's a fact of life for many if not most web sites.

Mike, why don't you contract to redesign NetBank's web site?

The really stupid part of all this is that I signed up for 18 months of "service." It sucks.

If you're on a ranch in Nebraska and thirty miles from town, satellite internet may be just the ticket for you. If you have [b]any other option give it a bye.

Did I mention, "it sucks?"
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #3

My bother got WildBlue out on his ranch and it seemed very slow. My understanding is that HughesNet® is much better. I think I read that some providers offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

This is something I must double check. The tripod and setup equipment is pretty spendy.

Thanks Morgan.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #4

Here is an interesting comparison.
http://www.copperhead.cc/wbhn.htm
Old 07-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
My bother got WildBlue out on his ranch and it seemed very slow. My understanding is that HughesNet® is much better. I think I read that some providers offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

This is something I must double check. The tripod and setup equipment is pretty spendy.

Thanks Morgan.
I've read up on several usenet groups and from the posts I've seen Hughes is worse than Wild Blue. Neither of them have customer service.

The problems caused by latency will apply to all providers; it's a physics thing. Some are marginally better than others, but the roundtrip to the satellite is essentially the same for all of them.

As I said, the latency problem is seriously compounded by poorly designed web sites; those that require a new connection (and handshakes) for each element of a page.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Latency was also a problem for the phone companies using satellite before there was plenty of bandwidth on intercontinental fiber. Military circuits with multiple hops were very disconcerting to speak across.

What ATT used to do is send one side of the conversation by cable and the return by satellite, cutting the latency almost in half but making the facilities more vulnerable to failure.

Sounds like you guys should be reading this Yahoo Group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/R...etBySatellite/
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Mike,

Thought you were going to use the new wireless antenna and go that route. Did it not work well?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Mike,
Thought you were going to use the new wireless antenna and go that route. Did it not work well?
I am going the wireless route.

I am looking forward to when wireless is not available say when I am boon-docking. Then what are my options?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
I am going the wireless route.

I am looking forward to when wireless is not available say when I am boon-docking. Then what are my options?
Camp.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Camp.
True, but I need to keep things running smoothly here, and take care of my customers.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #11

Quote:
True, but I need to keep things running smoothly here, and take care of my customers.
In your case, Mike, satellite may be the only option. Just know the pitfalls.

Are you sure you can even get satellite service in a mobile platform? Dish Network was adamant the installation had to be done by their "professional" installer. Dish alignment is much more critical than for one-way TV.

Come over and try my connection before you sign up.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
In your case, Mike, satellite may be the only option. Just know the pitfalls.

Are you sure you can even get satellite service in a mobile platform? Dish Network was adamant the installation had to be done by their "professional" installer. Dish alignment is much more critical than for one-way TV.

Come over and try my connection before you sign up.
Morgan, I have Dish Network TV and it is pretty easy to set up. I also set up Phil’s in AZ. The software in the menus makes it quite straight forward.

Now, the [b]satellite Internet system seems to be harder from what I read. WildBlue does NOT have set up software and does not allow users to set up. HugesNet Internet is similar to Dish Network. HugesNet has software to alien the satellite dish and it has 10 satellites to chose from making it much more available all across North America.

I went to a HughesNet dealer and talked to him about Fulltiming and using HughesNet. He said it is hard to set up and NOT for the average consumer. After talking a little while, he said I would have no trouble setting it up. Also, HughesNet does NOT sell or recommend the units as “Mobile” units.

There are many people using them as Mobile units though. Pete Dumbleton’s link is an example. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/R...etBySatellite/ I also found Escapees that do the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HughesDish.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	9155
Attached Thumbnails
HughesNet2.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Mike,
This is the FAQ from HughesNet:

Quote:
19) Q: Can I put this system on a boat or in an RV?

A: HughesNet® Home and Professional service is available for non-mobile (fixed) locations. To receive mobile high-speed Internet service, please contact one of the following Value Added Service providers:

Ground Control www.groundcontrol.com
1-800-773-7168
MobilSat www.mobilsat.com
757-312-8300
MotoSAT www.motosat.com
It's probably expensive though. I did remember something about how the dish needs to be 6 feet off the ground. What makes this more complicated is the fact that you will be transmitting to the satellite. The FCC regulates that. Don't know if the above helped or not but good luck.

Ted
Ted Tuchsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Mike, you turned it down earlier, but there's still Internet by Data Card, depending on the cell coverage in the places where you are likely to camp.

I just read on another group that Dish with newer equipment at home charges $5/month extra if you are not connected to a phone line (dunno if that includes a cell phone or data card [which is assigned a telephone number in the VZW system, for one]). The old equipment doesn't carry the charge.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Mike,
This is the FAQ from HughesNet:
It's probably expensive though. I did remember something about how the dish needs to be 6 feet off the ground. What makes this more complicated is the fact that you will be transmitting to the satellite. The FCC regulates that. Don't know if the above helped or not but good luck.

Ted
Ted, It does not require to be 6 feet off the ground, at least the one I saw being used at Escapee. It does need to be line of sight and so trees and other obstructions can cause a problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Mike, you turned it down earlier, but there's still Internet by Data Card, depending on the cell coverage in the places where you are likely to camp.
I have a Verizon EVDO air card. It works pretty well but can be painfully slow. We use it while traveling down the road and at Bandon SP. Good for email and forums. Not a good solution for intensive work.

That said, it did not work in many places we camped in Oregon - Jordan Valley (US-95), Lava Lake east side of Cascade Mtns (central Oregon). Both of which would have worked well with a satellite system. My customers needed a little fix and I could not help them. Had to leave early to take care of business.

I see Internet connection as one of 4 options.<blockquote>• Libraries (their computers, time limits, no software to do work, noise, etc.)
• EVDO Air cards (I have Verizon)
• Wi-Fi (subject to a hopefully free local broadcast)
• HughesNet Satellite (price and technical skill issues)</blockquote>Each system has its features and benefits, also its negatives.

There doesn’t seem to be a perfect solution.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Mike,

Quote:
Ted, It does not require to be 6 feet off the ground, at least the one I saw being used at Escapee. It does need to be line of sight and so trees and other obstructions can cause a problem.
The following is from the link for one of the value added resellers:
http://www.groundcontrol.com/mobile-satellite-faq.htm

Quote:
Would the MSS fit on a small trailer?
The system can fit on any mobile platform that gives it room to turn around in place. The bottom of the dish rim must be at least six feet off the ground to [b]legally transmit.
(emphasis added)

I hope that clarifies it. Their system looks pretty neat, though, as it folds and automatically finds the satellite.

Ted
Ted Tuchsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
a little off topic but might be useful. i started using a cell phone booster http://boatantenna.com/cellular/cellphone_...al_boosters.htm
and my cell phone through verizon to connect to internet . the free portion is painfully slow but you can up grade to a higher speed for a ? bucks more . the booster is really is the cats meow it get me out in places where before i had no signal to having 4 bars in the same area .
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #19

Thanks Ted.

I think there is a difference between:
Stationary Access Platforms & Mobile Satellite Systems.

Stationary

Name:   stationary_access.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  7.1 KB

Mobile

Name:   mobile.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  7.1 KB

Mobile Satellite Systems are mounted to vehicles and require the six foot height. (I could be wrong, but that is what I understand.)

I am looking at a Stationary set up that I will move from time to time.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
a little off topic but might be useful. i started using a cell phone booster http://boatantenna.com/cellular/cellphone_...al_boosters.htm
and my cell phone through verizon to connect to internet . the free portion is painfully slow but you can up grade to a higher speed for a ? bucks more . the booster is really is the cats meow it get me out in places where before i had no signal to having 4 bars in the same area .
Thanks Al.

Looks like it’s worth further investigation.