Building a 1 Room Retirement Home - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
If you can go one night without a bathroom, you can go 365 nights.
For me it is all about having a trailer that allows be to be as flexible as possible about where I camp. There are some pretty nice spots to camp where there are no facilities what so ever - not even a pit - so getting by for even one night would be an issue. Some of the places are pack in and pack out - that include *all* waste so digging a pit isn't going to work well either. Grey water dumping is also frowned on. So having a bathroom and showering in the trailer with holding tanks allows me the freedom to camp were ever I want to go with as little hassle as possible.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
If you can go one night without a bathroom, you can go 365 nights.
Are you trying to convince me that I don't have to go?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Back in the 60's and 70's, when my G-ma (who was in her 60's) went camping in her VW van (not a camper), she always had an empty coffee can for those stops and o'nites when there were no facilities.
That'd be a little harder with the coffee containers now!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
You can never miss what you've never had. Did fine as a backpacker, tenter and car camper without a full bathroom.

Have one in my Scamp. Now, I'll never go back. Besides, I desire it. YMMV
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
I backpacked through parts of the Appalachian trail in my late teens/early 20's, but a fused disk in my back and a steel plate in my ankle, well now its Caravan time!

I lead a fairly simple live, lived on a 27 foot sailboat for almost 10 years...I could live in my ParkLiner (especially if I could turn it into a Tardis!) but I wouldn't do it without a few comforts (unless I was homeless tucked away somewhere) a toilet of some kind. I had a flushing toilet with a holding tank on the boat...I eventually yanked it and went with a porta pottie for simplicity since the coast guard wants to inspect everything for compliance...well was easier to dispose of (marina had a free porta pottie dump station(but at the time wanted $8 to let me pump my **** out lol))

Power to you if that's how you want to live...but depends on your personal desires...choosing campgrounds with nearby facilities...well it is a few systems you won't have to worry about in you fiberglass egg... but for me they are key systems lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Been thinking on this. What I love about my trailer space is that feels wide open. An enclosed bathroom would diminish this. So I'm going with a simple porta potti for starters. Privacy, between my wife & I, will be achieved by locating it behind the closet and being courteous to the user. For longer term camps, a shower/potti tent option set up just outside would be good for non developed campsites. Without the added expensive complexity we can also afford to stay at campgrounds with some amenities.
The porta potty's tank does have to be dealt with on a daily basis whereas a black tank only weekly. But it is simpler and easier to drain. I designed a Thetford toilet and black tank system for the trailer, but will leave it on the drawing board for now. Plenty of other items to update anyway.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
Anything is possible

2 adults
3 months
9,000 km (5,600 mi)
no bathroom
zero murders
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #22
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
I am not 100% sure on this but I think you can go a few days on a porta potti rather than daily, essentially it has a tank just not a big tank. and there may be some advantage to allowing the chemicals to "work" on the contents before dumping.

For full time I would tend to favor a bathroom, just because having "my own" would be convenient. But not sure I would pass on an otherwise nice camper for not having a bathroom.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #23
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Could I RV camp without a bathroom and still have lots of fun. You bet!

If I could have a bathroom without too much compromise, would I. You bet!

Would my wife come along without a bathroom, especially on long trips. Not a chance!

A permanent bed and a pot to pee in, were her only requirements.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #24
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Would my wife come along without a bathroom, especially on long trips. Not a chance!

A permanent bed and a pot to pee in, were here only requirements.
I think my DW and yours had a conference at some point to set minimum standards. Mine will still "consider" a "couple of days" of boondock camping without a pot to pee in, but said consideration has yet to actually yield a trip.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Bonnie considers making up and breaking down the bed a bonding experience.
Maybe not so much the toilet. But she is an adventurous spirit.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
I'm not so sure about that
Murder in a Fiberglass Trailer!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #27
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
In our van conversion, that now tows our Parkliner, the First item of the design after the permenant bed with storage for all the DW's gold prospecting gear was a bathroom area. We use that simple bathroom closet all the time even when just driving from point A to B...and we are happy & holding for a rest stop for us

The Parkliner was chosen over some other small units because we liked the shower/bath area out of the way up front. We do plan on retireing in our adventure rig, and a bathroom is something we enjoy in the floor plan.

P.S. Most places we camp have no facilities...they also have bears and big kitty cats.

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #28
Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
As former tenters, a bathroom is what????? Our 13' boler has no bathroom, but we have privacy and facilities at all times. We utilize a "lugga-loo" rather than a porta poti. It's higher (bad old knees you know) to sit on, it's easier to dump and clean and it's cheaper to replace. We carry a pop-up cabana and if we are parked for awhile it goes outside the door for the lugga-loo. And I have used it to have a standing bath if no showers are available. I am quite happy out there splashing water all over the place. As for privacy - they are called shower curtains. We hang a nice cotton eyelet one on one of those spring loaded shower curtains popped up between the kitchen and closet and voila! - a two room boler. We have taken my single girl friend with us and she sleeps on the front couch/cot having her own bedroom! Another curtain & rod and we now have a three-room boler!
When we first got our boler we immediately converted the couch into a three way dining table/couch/bunk beds so the big (Ha Ha) bed stays made up at all times. Works wonders and after all if I want all the comforts of home, guess where I'll be.
We chose not to spend our money on a bigger tow vehicle to get a bigger trailer, to have a bigger space to clean etc. We regularily spend four or five weeks at a time in our boler up in Northern Ontario where there are no facilities and we are quite comfortable. In early spring we often get hit with snow but we still have our own space. Paul reads at the little front table and I do crosswords on the bed.
Oh, and by the way I am somebody's wife, so please don't blame all the bathroomitis on the women!!
We have friends who spent a year in their little boler, travelling Canada and the US, following the sun and with a easy-up dining tent stored under the cover of their little truck, a pop-up cabana and a big dog, they came home still married and really rested and happy.
But, if you need a bathroom just go ahead and get one. Comfort too, is in the eye of the beholder.

Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote