Burnout? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I'm discovering that the more comfortable I make the trip, the more I relate it to home. I used to just camp on the ground or in the back of the truck, then tents, then a camper shell, then a pop-up camper, then a toy hauler, and now an Oliver. I used to go so I could ride my dirt bike in the desert. Then I took off on my sailboat for six months and travelled the coast of Mexico. The boat (molded fiberglass, of course) was set up for living well and I never felt cramped even after periods at sea. All trips have been wonderful, but I was always glad to get home.

Each step was toward more comfort while doing what I wanted out there. And I'm getting less tolerant of discomfort as I grow older. I also like dialing in the trailer to be as fun and comfortable as possible.

We just got back from an eclipse trip of about 1,500 miles and over a week long. Totally winging it, we made very little plans and didn't even bring a map. At the last minute, some friends invited us to stay in their driveway one night. We stopped a woman on a bicycle and she directed us to a National Forest access road where we camped for a couple of days at near totality. We noticed a fantastic train museum in Ely Nevada and spent three nights there. Thundershowers followed us around for several days. A comfortable trailer made it all fun.

Some trips are about the destination and some are about the travel. Since we never intended this trip to go on forever and didn't allow for it to do so with other commitments, I'm sort of glad we're back. But looking forward to going again and going longer term after retirement.

During the trip I found myself repeatedly marveling at the trailer, which I have not done before with other methods. Good standing headroom, nice bed, good cooking and showering, well insulated and able to find a comfortable spot to read or write as needed. In other words, comparing it favorably with home. Home is comfortable and sustainable. If we are to be traveling long term, we need more than to simply find a place to get out of the rain. We need a place to rest and plan and re-group for the next adventure. We need a place to spend a few days and we need to be able to move easily.

I guess it's best to take the comforts and things with us that are important, but do so in a way that allows the adventure without adding stress or annoyance. It's also important to be gone only as long as you want to.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:59 AM   #22

Name: Ms. Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I'm agreeing.

I quit focusing on the feelings of burn out and did all those things you have to do when you get home from a long trip.
It's going rain this weekend and I want to take my camper out and listen to it. One of my favorite parts.
For now I'm keeping it and see where I get to in a few months. I may have just over done it.

Thanks for all your messages and support.

Bruce
Onthrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mrs Bruce. Let me relate our humble story.

I camped with my parents when I was a boy growing up- 8-16 yo. My Dad built a "motor home" from an old Tom Toasted Peanuts truck. But it was nice. We went to Florida (Disney World)/Six Flags over Georgia WAYYYY too many times that it burned us out as kids. Sorry to say, they didnt have the desire for the beauty of the national parks- Yellowstone, Niagra Falls, Grand Canyon, or just PLAIN going camping to camp out! But the drive to and from Florida at 50 mph was EXCRUCIATINGLY painful for us kids!

Spin the clock up about 40 yrs. "History repeats itself" they say. Both our kids got married and we "thought" with them living in another state, we had to have a camper. Turns out, we bought the Scamp 13 new- pulled it on an adventurous trip from Backus with ole Floyd's wonderful "guidance" as a newbie. We've only taken it to their places 2 times in 7 yrs!

Anyway, for the next 4-5 yrs, we felt EVERY trip-- I mean EVERY vacation/get-away trip had to be with the Scamp. There came the inspections, regrease bearings? Tires ok? Pulling through BUSY cities? Alot of interstate (to make time)? On and on and I got really stressed on the last trip to Gulf SHores- then the long drive back- stressful driving.

The wife saw it in me getting "burned out". Last year (and I will get 'french fried' for this) we went to Branson MO (dont care to go back but 'been there done that') and stayed at a VERY nice hotel @ Branson Landing. I still work so we're not "pinching pennies" yet...so keep that in mind as you read this. We LOVED it. Fast trip in our Corolla up the interstate. Great gas mileage. No worries on pulling etc. Stress-free driving.

FINALLY, it hit us. We took a "short" camping trip to Mc Farland Park in Florence, AL about 80 miles from us. I took the Natchez Trace with only TWO red lights to navigate and that's at the end of our street!! We set up, we sat out, we rode bikes (VERY level campground/park by the Tennessee River), we ate out if we want and did grill out ..... almost NO concerns (just typical setup etc.) That's when we realized, we're not (yet) long-trip RV'ers. Now, we look forward to a minimum 2-3 times a year, loading up and taking a short drive (1-1/2 hours vs 7-8 on most other trips!) and hanging out with the Scamp and just getting away! It's camping and guess what- and it doesnt have to be 1000 MILES AWAY!!!

Since then, we've bought a VERY nice "CLAM" screen room and have created a wonderful "room" to hang out and cook in. We now leave the Scamp bed down. Recently, we just purchased a "Perculator" for our "Little Red Campfire". We can plan these trips on the "spur of the moment" due to its location and there's no reservations- some dont like that but for this particular campground, it works for us! We usually go on a Monday and get the choice sites . The first time we did it, we kept extending the nights there until it turned into the WHOLE week. Yep, we loved it.

There's one more thing I've noticed! I would say 90% of ALL the RV's in that campground are from Alabama- LOCALS!! Hmmm.... I see I'm not the only one that does NOT want to travel thousands of miles to camp. You'll hear thousands of opinions on "camping". But so related to "burn out" as your story is, I thought it would be appropriate to share how we handled it.

One final piece of advice? DO NOT sell your RV this year, wait one more year and see if the "urge" hits. Ours sure does as soon as the temp/humidity in Tenn starts dropping or in the spring trees start budding, we start saying, "I'm ready to go camping!!" It works for us.

In summary, we turned "burn out" into wonderful camping excursions for us. Yes, we entertained the thought of selling the Scamp and SO glad we didnt!! It's SO relaxing with this short trip (since I still work remember) and travel is cheap actually!

Good luck and do what pleases you be it long, short or NO camping trips! Life is VERY short.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthrvr View Post
Can I recover? I've had a wonderful summer. Traveling the Midwest and staying at least a week in each location. But, I'm done!!! Or I think I'm done.

I wonder if I should sell my camper while it's still less than a year old or keep it hoping I want to get back in it. Right now, no way. I'm tall and my scamp 16 just grazed my head.

What have others done to recover? How will I know?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Money in the bank !

Think of a fiberglas trailer as money in the bank. Your savings are probably making 1 or 2 % at the bank, but fb trailers have gone up tremendously in the last few years and I don't think the bubble will burst anytime soon. I've seen some fb trailers sell for twice the price they brought only 5-6 yrs ago. So I'd suggest you keep it, use it a bit, be humble and bend over a bit, at least while you are finding your next 'ride'. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #25

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've had my Bigfoot for the past 6 years mostly using it in spring and fall.
I've left it parked at an RV park so I have a place to go to 4-5 hours away in a dry climate. I'm retired sort of its nice to have a change at times.

There was a year when I didn't use the trailer but felt it was not really costing me much for storage at 60.00 a month.
One thing I really like is the feeling of being a part of this community, where I live there is an RV park Capilano near by I sometimes walk over and chat with people traveling OK I'm very social. I've met people from all over with fiberglass trailers some were members here and some didn't no this site was here. We all have a common interest and that is the attraction for me.

I also have a Honda Goldwing that see's little use parked most of the time as a matter of fact has not been out this year but is insured and sits in the carport. My thinking is that motorcycling has been part of my life for the past 47 years and now do I want to give it up something I'm torn over at this time what to do, it was paid for many years ago so costs me only the insurance. Do I sell it or leave it sit I just don't know.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #26

Name: Ms. Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I definitely needed to pause.

Read all your advice and take my time. I'm starting to plan my next trip and projects I want to do to improve the camper interior. But the plan allows me to stay in real housing and the camper over the winter.

Reading your stories and advice has helped tremendously. It has given me permission to not expect so much of myself. It is a small space. That's one thing I love about it. But a break of a week or two into Airbnbs to stretch out can insure I'll be able to wander a long time.

That was my method before I got the Scamp. (I had something even smaller before) and it worked really well. I just viewed the Scamp as a luxury size and I ought to be thrilled with that much room. I am....but a little more floor space and a real shower....once in a while will be the ticket for me.

I just had to jump in over my head the first time.
Onthrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #27

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Tall people . . .

Don't know about burnout. . . but you might trade for an EggCamper, which has taller headroom inside. . . Would that help?

Wishing you the best!
in the Abel Egg, 2011 EggCamper #101
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #28

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The key for me is absolutely getting out as much as possible. I house sit quite a bit. It allows me to stretch out, clear things out of the trailer and clean it, and work on some of the projects that are more annoying to do when your living in it.

I love small spaces but even I get sick of the camper. I completely ruined a little Toyota Chinook I owned by spending too much time in it. Got to the point where I just didn't like it or being in it anymore. My Bigfoot is much bigger but it's still a danger. I try to get out as much as I can.

Working helps since I'm away from it all day most days. Then a weekend or week or even couple months of house sitting here and there, and it all works out. Where I live I've got to be out of it all winter anyways. But that's still only 5 months of the year. The other 7 months I'm in the trailer except for the house sitting.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #29

[QUOTE=ZachO;660363]The key for me is absolutely getting out as much as possible. I house sit quite a bit. It allows me to stretch out, clear things out of the trailer and clean it, and work on some of the projects that are more annoying to do when your living in it.

I love small spaces but even I get sick of the camper. I completely ruined a little Toyota Chinook I owned by spending too much time in it. Got to the point where I just didn't like it or being in it anymore. My Bigfoot is much bigger but it's still a danger. I try to get out as much as I can.
=====================================
Zacho : I can't imagine getting sick of a Chinook because I have lived out of them rather than 'in' them ! Two Chinook trips from Calif to Maine and back across N. U.S. or S. Canada were 10,000 to 11,000 miles each , a feat I wish I could duplicate today, in my '70s. Our July 5,000 mile Banff -Lake Louise- Jasper trip was amazing but Chinooking along the East Coast and New England was the epitome of fiberglas travel ! ! Are you still in the Montana area ? We came back through Missoula in July , all beautiful !
Keep up your good work and travel ! David( zukiman) Gearhart in Sonora (AM) and Fresno (PM)today.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #30

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Hey David. Traveling was pretty much fine, but I was mostly living out of it for a couple summers. Some of that time was spring and fall when it was cold enough that I was just inside a lot. I wish I hadn't done it to myself! I really liked that thing. For vacation-style long-term travel, it was great. But after a couple years of spending a lot of time in it...it was just too much.

Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 5.20.58 PM.png
Views:	23
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	111275
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #31

Smoke !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Hey David.
Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".
------------------------------------------------
ZachO, and Friends, There was quite a bit of smoke in Alberta from British Columbia fires in late July. Now in Calif we have more fires and more smoke. I think the Army and National Guard should be called in for support because so many fine forests are being lost. 3 + fires in or near Yosemite, and flames went into one of the Redwood Groves. Redwoods are resilient ; they don't yet know if the Redwoods will survive . And the forest all around Multnoma Falls in Oregon is evidently completely lost. Would I insult anyone if I stated my opinion that the US Army and Guard would be better used protecting US citizens and property instead of fighting in Afghanistan where we are not liked or wanted. ? David in Sonora and Fresno (today)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have a feeling that after a winter of being couped up and not so mobile that you will get the bug as next spring approaches...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #33

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Well, the trick for us is to get out & about...we sleep in the Burro, and fix meals in it, but otherwise we're out hiking, kayaking, biking, exploring visitor centers, museums, etc. Kind of like you'd treat a tent, only more comfortable and waterproof...

Without hobbies/interests, one can be bored no matter where they are. Plus, as I age it's important to keep moving - a couch potato in front of a tv can reside in a house or a trailer; I need to keep active for physical and mental health.

When we first got the trailer it was new and exciting, but after the newness wore off, it became clear the trailer wasn't the focus, it was where the trailer would take us.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #34

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Florida
My wife and I lived on our sailboats for a couple years. The first year was on a fairly small boat, the second was on a perfect liveaboard boat. Halfway through the second year, I burned out. It wasn't the boat, it was me. By any measure, the second boat should have been better to live on. The first boat was very Spartan, the second had all the luxuries....but the maintenance on all those things contributed to my burn out. We sold the boat, bought a small house and a Class A diesel pusher. After 5 years of camping in it up to several months a year, we'd had enough. Sold. It, bought a van to pull an egg... probably an Escape 19. I want simplicity, not headaches. We plan on spending 3 or 4 months a year in the trailer. If we burn out, we'll sell the trailer and move on. Just because you decided to full time in your trailer doesn't mean you have to love it forever. I knew a couple that dreamed of living on their boat for years. Retired, sold everything and took off. 2 weeks later, they were done. Just couldn't do it. Others I've known took off for a year and 15 years later they're still out there. I guess the point of this rambling is that you will figure out what's right for you and whatever that is, it's all good. A different trailer might help but mostly, I think, it more about you.

For what it's worth!

Dan
kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #35

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Did I miss something about you wanting to full time?

Sounds to me like you found out you need a bigger trailer for the amount of time you want to spend in it. Going to cost you to find out though. Having a16' Scamp is certainly on the small end of the spectrum, look at all the folks who do just fine for 6 months or more in their 40' Class A's. There's a lot to chose from in between.

We find our 20'er fine if the weather is good, but after 2 or 3 months in it it sure is nice to get home.

On the burnout topic. After 7 years of 4 or 5 weeks a year, and another 4 years of 4 months a year traveling, I'm getting burned out if that's the right term. We've seen everything we really wanted to see and gone everywhere we really wanted to go. Camping has changed, don't enjoy it as much as we used to, just too many people.

Time to think about the next chapter.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
burnout

We took a 4 week 6k trip all over Texas and N. Mexico in March. We camped every night at a Walmart we enjoyed every night and every day in a 12f A-Liner no bathroom no shower!

We went from 20d to 96d in a 2 week time period and experienced some real problems dealing with wind out in Kansas and avoided hurricanes in Texas by listening to wx reports each day.

We found out the joys of boonedocking and saving money while camping or was it motel camping? We learned to use our gps get the location of the Walmarts and calling ahead to see if they allowed boonedocking on their lot most did the one in Galvaston Tex didn't matter of fact had to move 500f to get off their lot! No big deal!

Will we do it again since we now have a 13f Scamp purchased due to big-time back surgery we will do it again as soon as I am able! I am 76 wife is 69 and we look forward to new adventures in our life. I am sure we will head back to Texas ASAP as we missed things there!

By traveling slow and using our heads our total outlay on the 6k trip was $600.00 not a very big expense to have a fun trip! I don't see ever getting tired of this type traveling as there is so much to see and do plus meeting more and more people. The closer to the Mexican border the more adventuresome travel became!!

I invite anyone to give it a shot!!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #37

Florida
Following up on my previous post, I truly believe it comes down to how the individual feels about full time situation. I'll relay this information. In 1997, my wife and I sold everything to live on our sailboat for a year. We met people living on every conceivable type boat from tiny to huge. The size and amenities really didn't seem to have any correlation to happiness. The one story that has stayed with me is this one. We met a family living on an S2 33 foot center cockpit sailboat. This is not a large boat by any measure. Anyway, there was man and wife, 4 kids ranging in age from 8 to 16, a large dog and last but not least, his mother in law. To my mind this was totally insane. As we got to know them, we found they had been living this way for 5 years and loved it. My point is, it's all about attitude and personality.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #38

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sailboating

dan I don't know how you did that but if you could get topside and I suppose you all did that gave you room over our 13f scamp. You have memories no one can take away from you and your family. I think you must have been a very careful good planner. just the water supply alone and I wont go into map reading!

F/T Camping is something you have to really get used to and it is a nomadic life style I don't think it could be done pulling a motel on wheels but maybe it can be I know the expenses would skyrocket that way.

By the way I have a friend that moved from Mo. it N.M. and all he does is set in his Motel on wheels watching tv all day never moving I am sure he is there now what a boring life!

Now I have all the time in the world but I am having health problems but unlike some folk I have something to shoot for to get better and it isn't going to be easy!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #39

Florida
You must have misread part of my post. It was another family that we met cruising on a very crowded boat, not us. I agree, I don't know how they did it, but the point I was trying to make was that it's not all about what you're living, but how you respond to the situation.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 PM   #40

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
People go through phases. Desires wax and wane. My folks took me traveling in a Winnebago when I was a kid, and I grew up knowing I wanted to travel in an RV of some sort. I managed to take regular, 1 to 3 week long summer trips (I'm off work during summer) for about 15 years, but then this past summer I didn't feel like going anywhere. I stayed home and worked on the house and stuff. During my 2016 'big trip' to Grand Canyon, Utah and Tetons it felt a little 'ho-hum', like maybe it just wasn't as important to me as it used to be. Next summer, who knows what I'll feel like doing! Time will tell.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote