Burnout? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
[QUOTE=ZachO;660363]The key for me is absolutely getting out as much as possible. I house sit quite a bit. It allows me to stretch out, clear things out of the trailer and clean it, and work on some of the projects that are more annoying to do when your living in it.

I love small spaces but even I get sick of the camper. I completely ruined a little Toyota Chinook I owned by spending too much time in it. Got to the point where I just didn't like it or being in it anymore. My Bigfoot is much bigger but it's still a danger. I try to get out as much as I can.
=====================================
Zacho : I can't imagine getting sick of a Chinook because I have lived out of them rather than 'in' them ! Two Chinook trips from Calif to Maine and back across N. U.S. or S. Canada were 10,000 to 11,000 miles each , a feat I wish I could duplicate today, in my '70s. Our July 5,000 mile Banff -Lake Louise- Jasper trip was amazing but Chinooking along the East Coast and New England was the epitome of fiberglas travel ! ! Are you still in the Montana area ? We came back through Missoula in July , all beautiful !
Keep up your good work and travel ! David( zukiman) Gearhart in Sonora (AM) and Fresno (PM)today.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #30

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Hey David. Traveling was pretty much fine, but I was mostly living out of it for a couple summers. Some of that time was spring and fall when it was cold enough that I was just inside a lot. I wish I hadn't done it to myself! I really liked that thing. For vacation-style long-term travel, it was great. But after a couple years of spending a lot of time in it...it was just too much.

Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 5.20.58 PM.png
Views:	16
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	111275

Old 09-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Smoke !

[QUOTE=ZachO;660489]Hey David.
Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".
------------------------------------------------ ZachO, and Friends, There was quite a bit of smoke in Alberta from British Columbia fires in late July. Now in Calif we have more fires and more smoke. I think the Army and National Guard should be called in for support because so many fine forests are being lost. 3 + fires in or near Yosemite, and flames went into one of the Redwood Groves. Redwoods are resilient ; they don't yet know if the Redwoods will survive . And the forest all around Multnoma Falls in Oregon is evidently completely lost. Would I insult anyone if I stated my opinion that the US Army and Guard would be better used protecting US citizens and property instead of fighting in Afghanistan where we are not liked or wanted. ? David in Sonora and Fresno (today)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have a feeling that after a winter of being couped up and not so mobile that you will get the bug as next spring approaches...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #33

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Well, the trick for us is to get out & about...we sleep in the Burro, and fix meals in it, but otherwise we're out hiking, kayaking, biking, exploring visitor centers, museums, etc. Kind of like you'd treat a tent, only more comfortable and waterproof...

Without hobbies/interests, one can be bored no matter where they are. Plus, as I age it's important to keep moving - a couch potato in front of a tv can reside in a house or a trailer; I need to keep active for physical and mental health.

When we first got the trailer it was new and exciting, but after the newness wore off, it became clear the trailer wasn't the focus, it was where the trailer would take us.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #34

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Florida
My wife and I lived on our sailboats for a couple years. The first year was on a fairly small boat, the second was on a perfect liveaboard boat. Halfway through the second year, I burned out. It wasn't the boat, it was me. By any measure, the second boat should have been better to live on. The first boat was very Spartan, the second had all the luxuries....but the maintenance on all those things contributed to my burn out. We sold the boat, bought a small house and a Class A diesel pusher. After 5 years of camping in it up to several months a year, we'd had enough. Sold. It, bought a van to pull an egg... probably an Escape 19. I want simplicity, not headaches. We plan on spending 3 or 4 months a year in the trailer. If we burn out, we'll sell the trailer and move on. Just because you decided to full time in your trailer doesn't mean you have to love it forever. I knew a couple that dreamed of living on their boat for years. Retired, sold everything and took off. 2 weeks later, they were done. Just couldn't do it. Others I've known took off for a year and 15 years later they're still out there. I guess the point of this rambling is that you will figure out what's right for you and whatever that is, it's all good. A different trailer might help but mostly, I think, it more about you.

For what it's worth!

Dan
Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #35

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Did I miss something about you wanting to full time?

Sounds to me like you found out you need a bigger trailer for the amount of time you want to spend in it. Going to cost you to find out though. Having a16' Scamp is certainly on the small end of the spectrum, look at all the folks who do just fine for 6 months or more in their 40' Class A's. There's a lot to chose from in between.

We find our 20'er fine if the weather is good, but after 2 or 3 months in it it sure is nice to get home.

On the burnout topic. After 7 years of 4 or 5 weeks a year, and another 4 years of 4 months a year traveling, I'm getting burned out if that's the right term. We've seen everything we really wanted to see and gone everywhere we really wanted to go. Camping has changed, don't enjoy it as much as we used to, just too many people.

Time to think about the next chapter.