Burnout? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
[QUOTE=ZachO;660363]The key for me is absolutely getting out as much as possible. I house sit quite a bit. It allows me to stretch out, clear things out of the trailer and clean it, and work on some of the projects that are more annoying to do when your living in it.

I love small spaces but even I get sick of the camper. I completely ruined a little Toyota Chinook I owned by spending too much time in it. Got to the point where I just didn't like it or being in it anymore. My Bigfoot is much bigger but it's still a danger. I try to get out as much as I can.
=====================================
Zacho : I can't imagine getting sick of a Chinook because I have lived out of them rather than 'in' them ! Two Chinook trips from Calif to Maine and back across N. U.S. or S. Canada were 10,000 to 11,000 miles each , a feat I wish I could duplicate today, in my '70s. Our July 5,000 mile Banff -Lake Louise- Jasper trip was amazing but Chinooking along the East Coast and New England was the epitome of fiberglas travel ! ! Are you still in the Montana area ? We came back through Missoula in July , all beautiful !
Keep up your good work and travel ! David( zukiman) Gearhart in Sonora (AM) and Fresno (PM)today.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #30

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Hey David. Traveling was pretty much fine, but I was mostly living out of it for a couple summers. Some of that time was spring and fall when it was cold enough that I was just inside a lot. I wish I hadn't done it to myself! I really liked that thing. For vacation-style long-term travel, it was great. But after a couple years of spending a lot of time in it...it was just too much.

Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 5.20.58 PM.png
Views:	19
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	111275

Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Smoke !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Hey David.
Yep, still in Montana. July...you got lucky! It's so smoky here right now it's (literally, according to air quality experts) not healthy to be outside doing anything. Been that way for weeks now. No rain in sight. They're saying the fires will finally go out when it snows. That could be soon...but will realistically be awhile. 80s and sunny forecasted as far as you can see. Actually they aren't even forecasting sunny. They're forecasting "smoke".
------------------------------------------------
ZachO, and Friends, There was quite a bit of smoke in Alberta from British Columbia fires in late July. Now in Calif we have more fires and more smoke. I think the Army and National Guard should be called in for support because so many fine forests are being lost. 3 + fires in or near Yosemite, and flames went into one of the Redwood Groves. Redwoods are resilient ; they don't yet know if the Redwoods will survive . And the forest all around Multnoma Falls in Oregon is evidently completely lost. Would I insult anyone if I stated my opinion that the US Army and Guard would be better used protecting US citizens and property instead of fighting in Afghanistan where we are not liked or wanted. ? David in Sonora and Fresno (today)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have a feeling that after a winter of being couped up and not so mobile that you will get the bug as next spring approaches...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #33

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Well, the trick for us is to get out & about...we sleep in the Burro, and fix meals in it, but otherwise we're out hiking, kayaking, biking, exploring visitor centers, museums, etc. Kind of like you'd treat a tent, only more comfortable and waterproof...

Without hobbies/interests, one can be bored no matter where they are. Plus, as I age it's important to keep moving - a couch potato in front of a tv can reside in a house or a trailer; I need to keep active for physical and mental health.

When we first got the trailer it was new and exciting, but after the newness wore off, it became clear the trailer wasn't the focus, it was where the trailer would take us.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #34

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Florida
My wife and I lived on our sailboats for a couple years. The first year was on a fairly small boat, the second was on a perfect liveaboard boat. Halfway through the second year, I burned out. It wasn't the boat, it was me. By any measure, the second boat should have been better to live on. The first boat was very Spartan, the second had all the luxuries....but the maintenance on all those things contributed to my burn out. We sold the boat, bought a small house and a Class A diesel pusher. After 5 years of camping in it up to several months a year, we'd had enough. Sold. It, bought a van to pull an egg... probably an Escape 19. I want simplicity, not headaches. We plan on spending 3 or 4 months a year in the trailer. If we burn out, we'll sell the trailer and move on. Just because you decided to full time in your trailer doesn't mean you have to love it forever. I knew a couple that dreamed of living on their boat for years. Retired, sold everything and took off. 2 weeks later, they were done. Just couldn't do it. Others I've known took off for a year and 15 years later they're still out there. I guess the point of this rambling is that you will figure out what's right for you and whatever that is, it's all good. A different trailer might help but mostly, I think, it more about you.

For what it's worth!

Dan
Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #35

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Did I miss something about you wanting to full time?

Sounds to me like you found out you need a bigger trailer for the amount of time you want to spend in it. Going to cost you to find out though. Having a16' Scamp is certainly on the small end of the spectrum, look at all the folks who do just fine for 6 months or more in their 40' Class A's. There's a lot to chose from in between.

We find our 20'er fine if the weather is good, but after 2 or 3 months in it it sure is nice to get home.

On the burnout topic. After 7 years of 4 or 5 weeks a year, and another 4 years of 4 months a year traveling, I'm getting burned out if that's the right term. We've seen everything we really wanted to see and gone everywhere we really wanted to go. Camping has changed, don't enjoy it as much as we used to, just too many people.

Time to think about the next chapter.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #36

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
burnout

We took a 4 week 6k trip all over Texas and N. Mexico in March. We camped every night at a Walmart we enjoyed every night and every day in a 12f A-Liner no bathroom no shower!

We went from 20d to 96d in a 2 week time period and experienced some real problems dealing with wind out in Kansas and avoided hurricanes in Texas by listening to wx reports each day.

We found out the joys of boonedocking and saving money while camping or was it motel camping? We learned to use our gps get the location of the Walmarts and calling ahead to see if they allowed boonedocking on their lot most did the one in Galvaston Tex didn't matter of fact had to move 500f to get off their lot! No big deal!

Will we do it again since we now have a 13f Scamp purchased due to big-time back surgery we will do it again as soon as I am able! I am 76 wife is 69 and we look forward to new adventures in our life. I am sure we will head back to Texas ASAP as we missed things there!

By traveling slow and using our heads our total outlay on the 6k trip was $600.00 not a very big expense to have a fun trip! I don't see ever getting tired of this type traveling as there is so much to see and do plus meeting more and more people. The closer to the Mexican border the more adventuresome travel became!!

I invite anyone to give it a shot!!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #37

Florida
Following up on my previous post, I truly believe it comes down to how the individual feels about full time situation. I'll relay this information. In 1997, my wife and I sold everything to live on our sailboat for a year. We met people living on every conceivable type boat from tiny to huge. The size and amenities really didn't seem to have any correlation to happiness. The one story that has stayed with me is this one. We met a family living on an S2 33 foot center cockpit sailboat. This is not a large boat by any measure. Anyway, there was man and wife, 4 kids ranging in age from 8 to 16, a large dog and last but not least, his mother in law. To my mind this was totally insane. As we got to know them, we found they had been living this way for 5 years and loved it. My point is, it's all about attitude and personality.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #38

Missouri
sailboating

dan I don't know how you did that but if you could get topside and I suppose you all did that gave you room over our 13f scamp. You have memories no one can take away from you and your family. I think you must have been a very careful good planner. just the water supply alone and I wont go into map reading!

F/T Camping is something you have to really get used to and it is a nomadic life style I don't think it could be done pulling a motel on wheels but maybe it can be I know the expenses would skyrocket that way.

By the way I have a friend that moved from Mo. it N.M. and all he does is set in his Motel on wheels watching tv all day never moving I am sure he is there now what a boring life!

Now I have all the time in the world but I am having health problems but unlike some folk I have something to shoot for to get better and it isn't going to be easy!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #39

Florida
You must have misread part of my post. It was another family that we met cruising on a very crowded boat, not us. I agree, I don't know how they did it, but the point I was trying to make was that it's not all about what you're living, but how you respond to the situation.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #40

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
People go through phases. Desires wax and wane. My folks took me traveling in a Winnebago when I was a kid, and I grew up knowing I wanted to travel in an RV of some sort. I managed to take regular, 1 to 3 week long summer trips (I'm off work during summer) for about 15 years, but then this past summer I didn't feel like going anywhere. I stayed home and worked on the house and stuff. During my 2016 'big trip' to Grand Canyon, Utah and Tetons it felt a little 'ho-hum', like maybe it just wasn't as important to me as it used to be. Next summer, who knows what I'll feel like doing! Time will tell.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #41

Missouri
burnout

40 years tenting all over American all 50 states many, many times 4 times to Europe. Me with heart trouble big-time back trouble I never never tire of it.

now I find at 75 I am losing the strength to deal with a tent and all its stuff so I got an A-Liner loved that thing but again back trouble came in the way so now I have a 13f scamp bareboned no bathrooms!

our solution to the expense of traveling our Scamp is a rolling motel room I have been attacked over this! We stop at our friendly Walmarts most of the time. In the am we fire up our stove heat some water and do the military bath thing!

We have been out a month at a time doing this of course we are frugal but what adventures we have had we couldn't afford this stuff otherwise! Take my word for it Europe is worth whatever it takes, we fly there, rent a car and camp out at campgrounds. Did I say they have fantastic places to camp, fantastic weather as man as 4k campers in a place.

My advice stop for a bit, get your batteries recharges and that wanderlust is going to hit again. Our plans for Feb. do the Texas, N.M. tour again and hit quartzsite for the rally!

At 75 I have no intentions of stopping keeps us young!!

good luck

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #42

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I am not sure if their is a solution. To each their own, different stokes, etc. Some folks are natural home bodies. Others are born to wander.

Jill and I find the our pace of life slows down when traveling and our relationship benefits. I suspect others might feel the opposite.

We have traveled to 49 states (many dozens of times) over our 45 years together. Our honeymoon was 8 weeks and 10,000 miles of tent camping, often on snow. And we spend a week at the same Lake Superior beach each year. Its being close to each other and close to nature without the press of commitments at home that we enjoy.

YMMV. John

Pic from Canadian Rockies
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Rockies.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote