Canadian Built RVs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm not sure there's as much difference between countries of manufacturer as there is between companies that produce FG trailers. Pick a model you like, and make it yours. I've seen some pretty nice trailers on the forum built on both sides of the border. I'm also glad all the popular choices come from North America, and not China. Not so sure about all the appliances in them?

I'm typing this on an Apple (Chinese) laptop.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Actually, Dave didn't say BC doesn't imbibe intoxicants at all, rather, he seems to suggest, their "variety" is different than that of the rest of us across this great big country. Having tried a tibbling in all eleven provinces, and both territories, including Newfie Screech, I can assert that there is quite a difference in the variety of favourite intoxicants from end to end to side to side. I just never considered the effect that might have on our manufacturing processes. Hmmm. Good to know.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #23

Michigan
OK, I give up Bizzian. I can figure out the Newfie part, but what is "Screech" ? Would that be a local name for moonshine?

Tom
Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Cdnvsus

We have owed at least seven Trilliums, 5 Westies, 1 Unik and 3 pop-top(foldout) rigs. Currently there is a 40 year old 4500 Trillium in the parking lot and I seriously think it will be my last one. We are in pretty good shape for our age. I think that, like the VWs, Trilliums [and me] are now having problems because no one ever expected them to last this long. Today's FG rigs are probably the same but the bottom line is now the driving force in manufacturing so something has to suffer.
The worst rig we had was a new Flagstaff pop-top. Cheap material and poor workmanship. e.g. wiring was short-routed through and across storage space instead of being tacked down at the back or sides.
Stitching was poorly done on the upholstery and the trailer frame was so thin that you could not attach sway bar pins or use a jack under it. You could put a dent in it with a C-clamp. Just MHO. Scouter Dave.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #25

Newfoundland & Labrador
Screech

There are many legends, stories and myths about Newfoundland Screech.
Schooners carried salt cod to the Caribbean and brought back kegs of rum. It was once a rather disreputable brand of dark rum that had a unique flavour all its own. Today it is a more refined concoction that still has the same effect. If you visit the island you can get "Screeched In" and take home a certificate to prove it. They don't make it like the used to.
On occasion we can buy empty rum barrels from the Liquor Board and we make 'swish'. You pour a few gallons of boiling water into the empty keg , tap the bung back in and swish it around for an hour or so. Then you set the keg on its side for a week. Then you roll it a little and let it sit for another week. Then you roll it and let it sit for another week etc. etc. Next you do top and bottom and then you drain the liquid, strain it and your 'swish' is ready to try. You can cut the barrel in half and make planters or break it up and burn it for the sweetest smelling campfire you have ever enjoyed. Scouter Dave
Old 07-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
There are many legends, stories and myths about Newfoundland Screech.
Schooners carried salt cod to the Caribbean and brought back kegs of rum. It was once a rather disreputable brand of dark rum that had a unique flavour all its own. Today it is a more refined concoction that still has the same effect. If you visit the island you can get "Screeched In" and take home a certificate to prove it. They don't make it like the used to.
On occasion we can buy empty rum barrels from the Liquor Board and we make 'swish'. You pour a few gallons of boiling water into the empty keg , tap the bung back in and swish it around for an hour or so. Then you set the keg on its side for a week. Then you roll it a little and let it sit for another week. Then you roll it and let it sit for another week etc. etc. Next you do top and bottom and then you drain the liquid, strain it and your 'swish' is ready to try. You can cut the barrel in half and make planters or break it up and burn it for the sweetest smelling campfire you have ever enjoyed. Scouter Dave
Scouter Dave, two questions. 1st, is there any alcohol in the swish? and 2nd, will you be able to smuggle a taste or two to the Algonac Rally? Sounds interesting.

Tom
Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #27

Newfoundland & Labrador
Screech & swish

The empty rum barrels are made of oak. They are used repeatedly for bulk storage so the oak is well seasoned by the rum. It leaches out when the barrel is swished and rolled and it does contain alcohol. How much I do not know but the less water you put in the barrel, the stronger the drink.
I will bring a bottle of Screech with me but as I said earlier, it is just a decent quality dark rum nowadays. It is sold as far west as Ontario now.
Even the label is not the same. Unfortunately it is now printed in two different languages.
SD

We are now way off the mark from the original thread. Did the original question get answered to the satisfaction of the poster?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #28

Michigan
A Good Canadian Intoxicant

Looking forward to that Dave. Drive safe, you have a long trip ahead of you. If the duty and taxes are too great, we do have rum here in the states.

I remember our first of many annual fishing trips to northern Ontario. We heard how expensive alcohol was in Canada, so my buddies and I brought our own LaBatts Blue. We brought so much we were charged duties. We didn't drink it all and were taxed to bring the remainder back to MI. We learned our lesson and bought it up there from then on. Ask me about Canadian Night Crawlers sometime.

Tom
Old 07-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Maybe all new Canadian trailers should be sold with a bottle of the local hooch included. Something to celebrate with, and to simultaneously broaden our palates.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, Escape recently shipped a 5.0 TA to Netherlands. New owners found a case of Molson Canadian in a storage bin.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
I'm also guessing the BC intoxicant referred to isn't likely in liquid form, and not likely going to be shipped with any trailers. Legally.
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #32

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Ok.. One of the original questions was about insulation. My 1993 " Lil BigFoot " has what I feel was the commonly installed insulation. My refrigerator, heater, stove top, sink, have no insulation behind them, and the side wall, not even rat fur. It has large heat vents. The windows are all single pane. The roof vent is single layer plastic, floor uninsulated. The rat fur on the walls is decorative, ( used to accommodate the curves, ease of installation, and it looks good ), it has has very little insulation value. When reading directions in a home construction manual, about the amount of insulation to be placed in the attic space. The important information was " the attic is the most important insulation area of a house. " ) Most heat vacates here. If there is an area where there is an uninsulated area, or a hole, ( glass, or plastic window, thin insulation ) It is like having no insulation in the attic at all. One could say; Ya but I have insulation else where; it doesn't work that way, the heat migrates to the hole. Plastic vent ? It can have insulation set in the hole on the inside. The rat fur on the roof has almost zero value. My Atwood heater is fantastic, heats the space the best, regardless of poor insulation. The new FGTrailers have aluminum skin below the new Rat fur this helps. Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
I'm also guessing the BC intoxicant referred to isn't likely in liquid form, and not likely going to be shipped with any trailers. Legally.
I was kinda thinking this was the reference suggested too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Jim,

This may interest you.

The tradition in Newfoundland was that men only really drank on Christmas Eve.

When we were on Fogo Island we did not find a pub/bar until the last day of our visit, There were none on Change Island. It's not to say that restaurants didn't serve beer or drinks though there were not a lot of them on Fogo and only two on Change.

Everything on Fogo seemed to close up by 9 PM except maybe the Fogo Inn.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #35

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Canada is a big country. My brother, who installs elevators, tells me that anything they get that was made in Ontario is "crap". Anything made in BC is "awesome". He attributes this to the variety of intoxicant consumed in the various regions.
So that would be the booze is better in BC or TO?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #36

Name: Joanie
Trailer: Currently selling U-Haul CT13
South Carolina
Ready to Buy - buy torn between Casita 16'SFD and Escape 17B

ANY AND ALL information greatly appreciated. Ready to buy a trailer and hit the road, but . . .I am old enough that this needs to be my first and final purchase. I have a 2011 Ford Escape V6. What options are a must, or can wait?
Thanks,
Joanie
Desin, FL
jksweatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Joanie,

There's a rally in FL, I believe in February at Highland Hammocks State Park. On Saturday they have an open house that would provide a good opportunity to meet a lot of owners and see their rigs. It's called a Scamp camp but all kinds of rigs attend.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #38

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Canadian Built RVs

Actually, the rally officially starts on Monday and ends on Friday. The open house is usually Wednesday or Thursday. But most people are willing to show you their campers anytime. And if you can only make it on a weekend, some people come early and others stay late. A few do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile My two cents

I think that trailers that have molded in interiors are superior to those that rely on fasteners of any kind. Automobiles are welded together for a reason. Bolts can have lock washers/nuts to prevent them from coming apart. Screws are inferior big time. Glassing in a block and then screwing to it is, IMHO, not as good as glassed in seats, etc. Owners, in their misguided attempts to modify, often cut out the glassed interior structure. What they don't realize is that that is often part of the strength of the structure of the rig. Moving down a road is hard on any structure and if the parts can move relative to each other, they will.
This is one of the reasons 'stickies' which are basically many parts screwed together are as infamous, to fiberglass owners, as they are. The individual parts eventually move relative to each other and this is what causes the leaks, etc.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just curious... not sure what you mean by "molded-in interior." Which makes are you thinking of?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote