Canadian Built RVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Canadian Built RVs

I have been reading this forum for a while and it has lots of information and a few opinions (well maybe more than a few!). There appears to be no doubt that fiberglass RVs are popular and last a long time. But, what I can not figure out and maybe some one can give me some advice on this issue, are the Canadian built RVs better built than the ones built in American? Are the Canadian RVs better insulated? I see Escape, Bigfoot and others mention that are made in Canada. So please let the information start coming fourth!! Let us have a good discussion!
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Carl.... Back in the hay days of RV trailer building in the 50's and 60's the American built trailers were far superior when compared to the Canadian counterparts. The Canadians back then built poor quality trailers. My dad was in the RV sales business, was a guy who understood the difference between good and bad workmanship, and imported most of his trailers from the States. The problem was that by the time he got them up to Canada they got a little pricey and in many cases became a little hard to sell compared to lower priced Canadian versions.

Anyway I would have to say times have changed. The Bigfoots etc are very well made and desirable. Whether or not they are superior or not is a question best answered by someone who has more knowledge about them than me.
I'm sure you will get some quality opinions from some of the more qualified glass egg owners.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What type of trailers did you dad sell? Stickies or FG?
Would help to know specifically what you are referring to, although the '50s and '60s are a long time ago.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Canadians make great RV's. It's colder so they "have to be better built."

I once asked my Canadian friend Mike how it comes to be he can fix things so quickly. He said that "when its. 40° below, you have to be quick."

I was looking for a 2500 series truck camper for years. These always sold for above book value. I'm grateful I found the one I bought. I use it constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I once asked my Canadian friend Mike how it comes to be he can fix things so quickly. He said that "when its. 40° below, you have to be quick."

Look at a map sometime. There are many parts of Canada that are south of many parts of the U.S.A.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 10.06.20 PM.png  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #6

Connecticut
And that is where most of the people are.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #7

Connecticut
Any of these solid glass egg campers will hold up well. We all know water is the biggest enemy to longevity.

The other factor is look at is insulation value. I've been in many a dripping tent or boat and like it dry inside-- free from condensation.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I debated with myself long and hard about whether to sell my stickie, because it seemed like a good trailer and I liked it. But I decided I'd really rather have something that pushes less wind. Well, 8 days after I sold that (3 year old) trailer, the new owner called me and said it was leaking from the roof! Some great workmanship there, huh.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Having toured the Escape manufacturing floor, wandered inside the units being built, and examining the mounting methods - using glassed in wooden blocks and screws instead of rivets through the roof - the wiring and plumbing routes that leave everything accessible, and observed the fiberglass finish, I can say my new 21 will be FAR easier to work on (think mods) than my Casita 17LD ever was...

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Having toured the Escape manufacturing floor, wandered inside the units being built, and examining the mounting methods - using glassed in wooden blocks and screws instead of rivets through the roof - the wiring and plumbing routes that leave everything accessible, and observed the fiberglass finish, I can say my new 21 will be FAR easier to work on (think mods) than my Casita 17LD ever was...

Charlie Y
Charlie,
Are you saying that the Casita's are hard to work on and repair? Can you give me an example of what you are talking about?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #11

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Carl

I will throw in my two cents worth, just keep in mind I don't own a FG camper yet. For the last 7 years its been a T@b which we love for what it is but are now wanting something a bit larger with bath.

Clearly there are some very fine campers made in Canada that rival and surpass the vast amount of product on the market. However I also believe the US makes some equal counterparts. The first that comes to mind are the Oliver's made in TN. Some folks believe Airstreams have no peers, but frankly I would rather own an Escape or Oliver any day having studied and looked at them for years now. Understand too there are few US companies building 4 season high quality campers/trailers however they are not molded FG types. Arctic Fox is one that comes to mind. Personally I don't care for the looks of these stick built trailers be it aluminum/fiberglass panels or wood with corrugated steel panels. Keep in mind too there are number of companies making humungous molded FG 5th Wheels which by any measure seems to be the new standard. And some people would say that Little Guy Trailers are building very high quality campers albeit very small ones, such as their teardrops or the T@b's but again not molded FG.

Having said all this my two current favorites or what I have narrowed my search down to are the Oliver's and Escapes. They each have their strong points and probably few if any weak points other than aesthetic considerations. The Oliver's are a bit more expensive… sort of, but I also think you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Canada is a big country. My brother, who installs elevators, tells me that anything they get that was made in Ontario is "crap". Anything made in BC is "awesome". He attributes this to the variety of intoxicant consumed in the various regions.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Oregon
Carl,

Access to systems (pump, water heater, converter) is more difficult with the molded seats & cabinets in a Casita, so it's actually easier to remove the seats than try to work through the little access panels. Fishing around the electrical wiring to find which twist-on Skotchlock connector has come loose is not fun either. Replacing broken roof rivets that hold up the cabinets happens too often.

Not saying Casita makes a bad trailer, just that I think Escape has a more robust and systematic design that is well-executed and worth a bit more $.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #14

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Canada is a big country. My brother, who installs elevators, tells me that anything they get that was made in Ontario is "crap". Anything made in BC is "awesome". He attributes this to the variety of intoxicant consumed in the various regions.
David,
How much do we owe you for the tip???? HA! It is good to know that the folks in BC do not indulge in intoxicants!
thanks

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Oregon
One of the primary reasons I chose Escape over Oliver and Parkliner is the lesser dry weight of the Escape when compared to similar layouts of the other two. When fully loaded for camping, others with a 21 footer have weighed in at 4100-4300 pounds.

Charlie Y

Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
It is good to know that the folks in BC do not indulge in intoxicants!
thanks
He never said any, just those of a differing variety. I have partied with my fair share of intoxicated B.Cipians.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
One of the primary reasons I chose Escape over Oliver and Parkliner is the lesser dry weight of the Escape when compared to similar layouts of the other two. When fully loaded for camping, others with a 21 footer have weighed in at 4100-4300 pounds.

Charlie Y
So far the Parkliner only comes in a 15fter.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I would have purchased my Escape 5.0TA if it were made in Boise, Idaho. To me, it was about fit and finish and layout. I'm just fortunate enough to be 5-6 hours from the factory in Canada. PLUS the customer service is OUTSTANDING! Let me repeat that... OUTSTANDING!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #19

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Well Dave if all the stuff in Ontario is crap. Why are the trilliums you have made in Ontario? At least all the early one's I have seen.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
Well Dave if all the stuff in Ontario is crap. Why are the trilliums you have made in Ontario? At least all the early one's I have seen.
Perhaps you are missing the humour is Dave's post?
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote