Canadian Fulltimers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have noticed that most of the replys about people who want to fulltime are from Americans. I was wondering how our Canadians feel about this subject and what are some of your ideas for us who may want to go this route. I am not talking about snow birds.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Chester...Is there a warm local for year round "Full Time'n" in Canada Eh???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Not sure how you would do it and not be a snowbird, Ches. Out here on the Wet Coast we get lots of Inlanders fleeing the snow and ice, but it's still only 5C and raining all winter, so it's not exactly full-timing weather. Even something as lush as one of Reace's chariots would get a little cosy after four months of full-timing in the rain.
I think, realistically, a lot of the deep winter months would have to be spent in the U.S. — mid November to mid April — then back to B.C. for the shoulder seasons and wherever in this great land for the summer. It's a goal we've set as well, and I can't really see a way to stay north of the border and full time — not in any real comfort, anyway.
But there's lots smarter people than me out there, and perhaps one of them will offer better advice than I can.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi: Chester...Is there a warm local for year round "Full Time'n" in Canada Eh???
Lower mainland BC could be a ok area. I personally would not try it in a small unit but some of the big 5th wheel and other units have a rating of up to -30C. I was kinda wondering if anyone did this.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Lower mainland BC could be a ok area. I personally would not try it in a small unit but some of the big 5th wheel and other units have a rating of up to -30C. I was kinda wondering if anyone did this.
I'm sure they do. I know Fort Victoria and West Shore Marine campgrounds are full all winter and they can't all be permanent residents. But there are also a lot of west coast snowbirds who head for the heat. What about house sitting with a fifth wheel somewhere as a backup between "sits"?
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #6

I am just curious. We have lots of snowbirds up here and i have even seen a few who live in trailers all winter in Edmonton and Calgary. I personally would not want to pull a big unit around the country side, but maybe one could be a home base.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
I can't think of any way to stay north of the 49th all winter either. I thought the reason for being portable was so we could pick the most comfortable climes and times. I too look forward to fulltiming, and have used my unit late into October and November and stayed comfortable. It is actually easier with an egg, because of the lack of complicated plumbing and holding tanks .
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
How about Vancouver Island? Maybe someplace on the eastern side? That's what I would do were I a felonious EhLander denied entry to Lower America...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I love Vancouver Island but it rains here.. a lot. Like every day for months. Not quite as much in Victoria as on the East Coast where we are. So it's not really a warmth issue but the fact you would be stuck inside.

I tree planted for a few seasons while staying in our Okanagon Camper. It was doable but when you got home on weekends it was a huge relief to get away from the wet.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It still might beat wintering at Ross River YT
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Lots of full-timers from BC and Alberta head to Mexico for the winter.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Ya don't have to be retired to full time... but it helps.
Anywhere south in the winter would be better than up here in "The great white north"!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote