Canadian Winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #15

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
WHOA!
STOP!
For what it's worth, here's my $.02 worth.
I don't think that Canadian winter in a Boler in Halifax is do-able. The trailer is NOT insulated and your severe low temperatures, and heavy snowfall, "Down East," would make your heat bills astronomical. Not to mention the frozen water tank. If you have a toilet model, it will surely freeze up and then where would you go???[pun intended]. Over an extended period, moisture would become a major problem. Even with a heater you would get frost on the walls and inside the compartments. You're feet will always be in the cold zone.
Think very carefully about what you are suggesting. A Boler is like a hard shelled three seasoned tent and doesn't work well in sub-zero temperatures.
Splitting the cost of an apartment or living in a dorm is better than freezing and not being able to concentrate on your courses..
This is just a Dad's opinion so you're welcome to ignore me, BUT think very, very carefully about it.
Good luck with your year whatever you do.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #16

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
WHOA!
STOP!
For what it's worth, here's my $.02 worth.
I don't think that Canadian winter in a Boler in Halifax is do-able. The trailer is NOT insulated and your severe low temperatures, and heavy snowfall, "Down East," would make your heat bills astronomical. Not to mention the frozen water tank. If you have a toilet model, it will surely freeze up and then where would you go???[pun intended]. Over an extended period, moisture would become a major problem. Even with a heater you would get frost on the walls and inside the compartments. You're feet will always be in the cold zone.
Think very carefully about what you are suggesting. A Boler is like a hard shelled three seasoned tent and doesn't work well in sub-zero temperatures.
Splitting the cost of an apartment or living in a dorm is better than freezing and not being able to concentrate on your courses..
This is just a Dad's opinion so you're welcome to ignore me, BUT think very, very carefully about it.
Good luck with your year whatever you do.
I agree

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

Hmm. Halifax is on the ocean which would modify its temperature, however, the extreme temperature is -26C (-15F), but the normal is -4.6C (24F) and the normal low is -8.6C (15F). Now the big question is where the Boler would be located. If in a building, it might be doable. On a windy hill I would say it wouldn't be. At any rate, it would be marginal.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/...&StnId=6357&

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #18

Name: Luc
Trailer: Ventura 400
Manitoba
Registry
living for a period of time in winter in our little trailers is doable, however it can be very expensive. I have lived in mine (77 surfside ) for a week at a time the last 5 years in the middle of november. The propane I used to heat the trailer was approximately 3 to 4 30lb propane tanks. so if this is the way you are going to go you will use a lot of propane. moisture is not an issue with a propane furnace as was mentioned in an earlier post condensation from your breath would be most of the moisture brought in. a gravity furnace like mine does not use a fan so is very quiet. if you have power available an electric heater of at least 8000 btus may carry you through the coldest parts but be careful of it's placement. The CO monitor would also be a good safety feature.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Boler
Just to clarify, I would be staying in a driveway with access to a kitchen, bathroom, etc...

The big money saving advantage would be that I wouldn't rent a room and instead sleep in the trailer. If the winter got tooo cold I could always coach surf in the house!

Greetings and thanks a lot!

p.s. I checked out the furnace it is an open flame