Cats and camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Cats can stay in La Quinta Inns. We always stay in these hotels when we are traveling with our cats.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First, I love pets, I have had every kind from dogs, to cats to birds to a few hamsters BUT......

Keep in mind that having a pet while travelling will mandate that the pets needs and care will control, to some extent, almost everything else you might want to do.

In many areas/seasons it will require heating and/or air conditioning, even when you are away from the trailer, which means power hook-ups, food and sanitary services have to be provided and, on occasion, pets do manage to get lost all by themselves.

Pets can be incredible companions, but there is also a liability that comes alone with that comfort.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Interesting topic! We have two pug dogs, mother Nimble and daughter Cinder (Cinderella), ages 12 and 7. When we got our tow vehicle (TV) part of what we were looking for was something that allowed us to put in two matching dog crates so they'd be as safe as we could manage. We keep leads next to the doors, doggy bags in the little bins on top...adding our contact into etc. to the crates is an excellent idea and we'll do it today. Our Dodge Grand Caravan lets us fold down all the seats, and there are D rings in the floor so we're able to strap each carrier securely and we have room between them for a fabric bin, where I keep my purse, neck pillow, sweater, hat, etc. for easy grabbing. The girls were already crate-trained (from puppyhood) and learned quickly to leap up into the car and go inside their own crate. Once we had to help Cinder out of the fabric bin because she made a shortcut through the van instead of around to her own side and got stuck. We give them special treats in the crates, have special pillows with 2 layers of washable covers for them in there, and while NOW it's super, they go in, eat their small treat, and fall asleep--at first they howled--the first trip they howled for four hours. Then Cinder gave it up, but Nimble continued for nearly another 3. The next trip, it was only an hour or so, now only Nimble makes any noise, and only for a few moments at first. They do cry if one of us leaves the van, though, they want the pack together. When we stop, we have a foldable exercise pen (xpen) with a carry bag, and we have some carabiners to clip a light blanket to the floor, over the top, or both depending on ground surface and sunlight. Traveling with the girls means we cannot both go into a restaurant most of the time, or museums, or special outings, or anything where they'd be left alone for more than a couple of minutes. We know people who travel with their cats in better-equipped rigs, leave on the air conditioning or heat, and so far all has gone very well...our rig's system is more basic, so we've decided simply to live a dog's life ourselves, and enjoy all we can with them while we have them. We can see museums and eat out at other times, in other years--or not.
We really do love these girls, have lost other dogs over the years so we know they won't last forever, and if we give up some things for their sakes, it's worth it to us, though we know people who think we're just dog-gone nuts!
Traveling with your pet(s)--we like it.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #24

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Cats can stay in La Quinta Inns. We always stay in these hotels when we are traveling with our cats.

CindyL
La Quinta inns are out of my price range for monthly rent.

Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #25

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
First, I love pets, I have had every kind from dogs, to cats to birds to a few hamsters BUT......

Pets can be incredible companions, but there is also a liability that comes alone with that comfort.
Yes, just like at home, (which the RV will be in my case.)

I've been traveling for work for over 8 years and when I was sent to Alaska in the winter I did not bring my cats of the time with due to the weather and time of year. It would've been cruel to have my Texas cats locked in a kennel and traveling for over 12 hours through multiple flight transfers and sitting in the cold area in the north while flying to where is was -20 when we landed.

However, having a cat live with me, as I live in the trailer here in the lower 48 seems worth considering. He is a rescue that I ended up getting Friday night in order to rescue him from sitting near a parking lot, near a highway but a busy restaurant as people walked by him for three hours. I'm willing to try...however, just having a cat right now is a whole other story.
Jen
Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 AM   #26

Registry
Thank you for rescuing it. Our cats are all rescues.

CindyL
Old 10-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #27

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Our kitty loves her fiberglass rv! We don't full time but she seems to enjoy coming with us when we go camping. So far we keep her in a harness and leash when outdoors. We leave our pop top up and leave her inside when we go sightseeing. She always seems happy to go with us and seems to enjoy birdwatching out the windows when we leave her in camp.
I bet your kitty will too

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #28

California
I'm optimistic about this. In my situation the camper I am looking at getting has bunks, (vertical space for use as a shelf, bunk or kitty level,) and it also has a ledge all the way around the trailer so that is even better for more vertical space for cat and me.

The place I'm looking to park it mainly should be fun viewing for him and seeing as he is already a people friendly outdoorsy cat I will get him a harness and leash to so he can stretch his legs for outdoor walks. !

Thank you.
Jen
Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #29

Registry
Our 3 cats that camp with us don't go outside. I sometimes feel guilty, as the Uhaul does not give them much space to run around, but then, we are only on the road around 3 weeks at a time, so it is not bad. When we do retire and spend longer times on the road, we hope to have a larger camper.

We have Munchkin cats. It is really hard to find harnesses that fit them. Frankly, we have not found harnesses, but I gave up several years ago trying to make the oldest one walk on a leash. I think that we could find something today if we wanted to.

CindyL
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #30

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Our 3 cats that camp with us don't go outside. I sometimes feel guilty, as the Uhaul does not give them much space to run around, but then, we are only on the road around 3 weeks at a time, so it is not bad. When we do retire and spend longer times on the road, we hope to have a larger camper.

We have Munchkin cats. It is really hard to find harnesses that fit them. Frankly, we have not found harnesses, but I gave up several years ago trying to make the oldest one walk on a leash. I think that we could find something today if we wanted to.

CindyL
Oh yes, a harness is only if the cat wants too! I have had a couple of cats in the past that were harness types and some that thought it was the most rudest thing ever!

I've heard that vertical space counts for cats so any up and down is a level to them, right? Floor to cushion, floor to table and up to any ledges.

Jen
Old 10-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #31

Registry
Sure, but it should not be a problem for you since you plan to take your cat for walks.

CindyL
Old 10-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #32

California
So far, good to know my accidental rescue cat will wear a harness, (much better than he will put up with a carrier.

He is a major lap magnet and affectionate little guy. I'll see if I can add his picture.

I think he will do just fine in the camper I am looking to get, (especially so because of vertical height with bunks and a ledge that I see the Trillium 4500s have.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #33

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Here's a report on our trip. My old cat was a better traveler than my dog(he shakes and drools). My cat accepted the harness and by the end of our trip would lay outside the camper, tethered of course. He walked from the truck to the camper and was content inside. There were a couple "yowly" days and I told him to 'not look out the window if it upsets you'. After which he didn't and curled up to nap. He spent two or three days on my lap, otherwise he would curl up in a spot and relax. It was a joy to have him go with me and I look forward to more in the future for as long as he is with me. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #34

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
So far (3 trips) our 11 yr old cat just finds a corner on the bed in our 16' Scamp and sleeps; no problem as we keep the bed down and made always. When I put her harness on, she looks at me to ask "Why are you punishing me?). Since she has never tried to get out, I am not going to worry. When we have tried to walk her or even tie her on a run, she finds a tree or a stump and digs a hole getting all dirty. I brush her and get most dirt out-but I am so tempted to wash her; if I did that she would really hate the harness and me that much more. So she stays inside, but wears a collar with tags just in case. When someone wants a peek-thru, they are not aware of her because she is beneath a pillow or a folded blanket. Cheers, Carol
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:44 AM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting thread as I've had a number of cats over the years, yup, they owned me but none of them wanted to have anything to do with a leash. Ended up leaving them home and having a neighbor check and feed them every day. Can't say they were happy to see us when we got back.....cat owners know what I'm saying. For those than don't know, you get back and your pet sits with it's back to you with no welcome , plug in any thoughts you may have to what they were thinking about you for being gone....x rated for sure. Really have to give a big thumbs up to the folks that can travel with their pets.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #36

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Interesting thread as I've had a number of cats over the years, yup, they owned me but none of them wanted to have anything to do with a leash. Ended up leaving them home and having a neighbor check and feed them every day. Can't say they were happy to see us when we got back.....cat owners know what I'm saying. For those than don't know, you get back and your pet sits with it's back to you with no welcome , plug in any thoughts you may have to what they were thinking about you for being gone....x rated for sure. Really have to give a big thumbs up to the folks that can travel with their pets.
With my former kitty cat crew I used to have a pet sitter or neighbor go by twice a day to check on them and feed them. It isn't the same though and I know what you mean.

My new 'accidental' rescue I got on the 16th of October and ended up boarding him in a kennel for 12 days due to work and travel and oh boy did this affect him in just a couple things. One is that he is a super lap manget as compared to our one night before where he was happy to lay at my feet and two is that they let him free feed, (after having been a stray and then kenneled,) and he sure liked it, ate 3 lbs of food in 12 days. He was 7.7 lbs when I took him in. I think 3 lbs of food in 12 days could be too much.

We are getting acclimated and bonding. He is relaxing with both food and lap.

Jen
p.s. maybe that is why he wears his harness okay? Not sure.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #37

California
While I've been looking around on youtube about full time rv living I notice several posters have a cat, some have more than one.

Looks more possible.

Jen
Old 11-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #38

Florida
Oh, I think it's very possible, and easier on you both if your cat will wear a harness. I just feel it's safer for my "old man" go be tethered, we can both relax. The best part of our trip was having him with me. I keep telling him to stay healthy so we can full time together in the fall. And yes, having him along means I do some things differently, but most of that is how I like to live anyway. What my animals add to my life is far worth any adjustments I make for them.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Interesting thread as I've had a number of cats over the years, .... Ended up leaving them home and having a neighbor check and feed them every day. Can't say they were happy to see us when we got back.....cat owners know what I'm saying.
We were gone for a week, and our two were ecstatic to see us come home. They acted like two year olds, dashing through the house, meowing, hyper as can be. You'd have thought we came home smelling like steaks.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #40

Florida
I've had cats run to meet me at the door. Literally grab me around the neck and rub frantically against my face. Most are anything but distant, ....