Change of heart on fulltiming - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #43

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
A person with simple needs can live very comfortably and happily without a lot of money.
It sounds like you have figured out what makes you happy and content, and that is one of the most important life lessons there is.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
All very good reads and insights. For me, I don't have a nest egg. Never owned a house. I will have to live on my teacher's pension and a little social security. I will not be able to afford to keep a rental house going at "home" and travel extensively. So it will have to be one or the other - meaning keep my home base and limit my travel to one or two months at a time or go all in with living out of my travel trailer. That realization led me to my decision that I cannot do that. With my limited income, my first RV purchase will have to be the one I keep. I am saving for my RV and pick up truck to travel, but there will be no future upgrading. Just not in my budget. I just never made enough money in my life to save much. But I have had more adventures than the average person, so I wouldn't change much. And I have learned to live on less than most people. My fanciest toy is a canoe with a 2.5 HP motor. And my guitar. But I have also found my best vacations have been sitting in a campground in Colorado, doing a little fishing, and maybe visit a little town for dinner and meeting people, instead of living it up somewhere like Florida. Simple lifestyle fits me, and my budget. There won't be many $30+ per night campgrounds in my travels.
Mark,

We certainly must do what makes us happy.

As to keeping the house, we did it for 15 years even though there were years where we only used it 6 weeks. Ginny felt she needed it so we kept it until we bought something in Florida.

We lived in a beach side community, fairly expensive and it cost us about $10,000 a year to keep the house. Now that we've sold it we'll return to coastal NH but stay in a relative's yard or a nearby campground paying relatively reasonable seasonal/monthly rates for 3 months.

As to "living it up somewhere like FL", few people know the other Florida, mist just familiar with Disney or the coast. We are in the more rural part of FL, there's a campground down the street that is $250 a month. A large group from our campground just returned from a month in the FL keys and spent $450, really cheap for the Keys.

FL is a less expensive state than many imagine. Food is the lowest cost that we fine. This may sound stupid, but my big safety deposit box is only $30 a year versus $100 in NH.

We're in rural Florida, cows and oranges, near the meandering Peace River. There is another FL, most tourists don't come to the other Florida.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #45

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Figured my Florida comment would get a rebuttal. Should have said southern Cal!!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #46

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Mark,

We certainly must do what makes us happy.

As to keeping the house, we did it for 15 years even though there were years where we only used it 6 weeks. Ginny felt she needed it so we kept it until we bought something in Florida.

We lived in a beach side community, fairly expensive and it cost us about $10,000 a year to keep the house. Now that we've sold it we'll return to coastal NH but stay in a relative's yard or a nearby campground paying relatively reasonable seasonal/monthly rates for 3 months.

As to "living it up somewhere like FL", few people know the other Florida, mist just familiar with Disney or the coast. We are in the more rural part of FL, there's a campground down the street that is $250 a month. A large group from our campground just returned from a month in the FL keys and spent $450, really cheap for the Keys.

FL is a less expensive state than many imagine. Food is the lowest cost that we fine. This may sound stupid, but my big safety deposit box is only $30 a year versus $100 in NH.

We're in rural Florida, cows and oranges, near the meandering Peace River. There is another FL, most tourists don't come to the other Florida.
Norm,
Thanks for the information. Please tell me how we can find the other Florida? Does that mean to stay out of the cities or what? We want to travel some in Florida and would value your advise on where to go and what to see? What suggestions can you offer?
Thank you!!!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #47

Florida
The center of the state except for Lakeland, a pleasant little city, and Orlando, a real tourist hangout, is relatively rural as are parts of the Panhandle. A nice out of the way place is Cedar Key on the northern Gulf and some little towns along the inner corner of of the Gulf. We are in central Florida about 50 miles south of Lakeland.

Carl, you'd be welcome to stop by anytime. Just call ahead so we're here. If you go to the Scamp camp, stop by at our place.

Of course we occasionally go to the cities. Our nearest big city is Tampa with good museums and the like.

Mark,

As to CA, Northern CA is really nice and among our favorites. We have often stayed at a passport park right on the Ocean that was very reasonable... THere's plenty of ruralness in CA. Northern CA is so different from Southern CA, like NYC and the Catskills or like the Ozarks versus St. Louis.

Every state has wonder.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #48

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Find the right dog

Quote:
All very good reads and insights. For me, I don't have a nest egg. Never owned a house. I will have to live on my teacher's pension and a little social security. I will not be able to afford to keep a rental house going at "home" and travel extensively. So it will have to be one or the other - meaning keep my home base and limit my travel to one or two months at a time or go all in with living out of my travel trailer. That realization led me to my decision that I cannot do that. With my limited income, my first RV purchase will have to be the one I keep. I am saving for my RV and pick up truck to travel, but there will be no future upgrading. Just not in my budget. I just never made enough money in my life to save much. But I have had more adventures than the average person, so I wouldn't change much. And I have learned to live on less than most people. My fanciest toy is a canoe with a 2.5 HP motor. And my guitar. But I have also found my best vacations have been sitting in a campground in Colorado, doing a little fishing, and maybe visit a little town for dinner and meeting people, instead of living it up somewhere like Florida. Simple lifestyle fits me, and my budget. There won't be many $30+ per night campgrounds in my travels.
: if you want company find a dog for that they are your best friend when traveling and don't cost as much as a woman does but all a dog can do is give you love all the time and say hi when u come home. They are great Traveling companions. They will love u as long as u feed them, take them for walks, take them with u traveling, dogs do not ask for much only problem they are not with you long enough when u have to say goodbye.
Stude
Old 11-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #49

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Norm is (as always) right about Flordia...it is one of the cheapest states to retire to. There are countless foreclosed properties for sale at bargain prices...state has one of the lowest property tax rates in the country...almost everything costs less! As Norm said rural Flordia has the lowest cost of living. If you stay away from Disney and the Weat Palm Beach/Miami coastal areas your money can go a long way. The Key West area is also very pricey.

I often watch the American Auction Network on Direct TV and see properties being sold for next to nothing!!!

Very surprised to hear a teacher complaining about income and money.
I have retired teacher friends from New York and Connecticut collecting state teacher pensions of $75,000 and more per year....plus great medical, dental and eye care covered in retirement...and no state income tax in New York State for teachers. That kind of money goes a long way in the Sunshine State!! (Or anywhere for that matter). Hard to believe a teacher crying poverty in this country!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #50

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Norm is (as always) right about Flordia...it is one of the cheapest states to retire to. There are countless foreclosed properties for sale at bargain prices...state has one of the lowest property tax rates in the country...almost everything costs less! As Norm said rural Flordia has the lowest cost of living. If you stay away from Disney and the Weat Palm Beach/Miami coastal areas your money can go a long way. The Key West area is also very pricey.

I often watch the American Auction Network on Direct TV and see properties being sold for next to nothing!!!

I have retired teacher friends from New York and Connecticut collecting state teacher pensions of $75,000 and more per year....plus great medical, dental and eye care covered in retirement...and no state income tax in New York State for teachers. That kind of money goes a long way in the Sunshine State!! (Or anywhere for that matter). Hard to believe a teacher crying poverty in this country!
Patrick,

I like dogs but I'll take a compatible woman any day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #51

British Columbia
Dogs do more for me now than a good woman would

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: if you want company find a dog for that they are your best friend when traveling and don't cost as much as a woman does but all a dog can do is give you love all the time and say hi when u come home. They are great Traveling companions. They will love u as long as u feed them, take them for walks, take them with u traveling, dogs do not ask for much only problem they are not with you long enough when u have to say goodbye.
Stude
Yep I miss the dogs that we had over the years, and I have a good woman now so why would I want another, but a good dog would be nice again to but they are getting hard to find one.
So now when I head for the lake it is on my own, no dog to chase the ducks or give me grief. I just sit on the dock,read a book and watch the fish jump as most good women are more interested in being with their friends in the city. Me I like the bush more and the friends I made up there in the Wilderness, I get to meet other people and all their animals be it horses, dogs, cats, bears, birds especially the hummers.
Stude
Old 11-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #52

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I like dogs but I'll take a compatible woman any day.
Roger that.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #53

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

I started teaching later in life and will only have in 20 years. And I wasn't complaining, just stating my position in life. Yeah, I could live on $75K per year.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #54

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
That's being smart and honest...

Quote:
I have seriously thought of fulltiming when I retire in 2018, but have come to the realization that I can't do it. All the travel to seeing this great country sounds good, but I would be travelling alone and know I would get lonely and miss my life at home. Small things like weekend golf with my buddies, getting together to watch the big game, and seeing family regularly are the highlights of my life. I love to travel, and see other parts of the country, but I also know that not having anyone around to share it with takes most of the joy away.
I have now reset my sights. I still plan to purchase a FB trailer, and I'm actively following this site and others looking for the ideal purchase. I have lowered my expectations (and price range) on the type of RV I want, as I now know it will just be temporary living quarters. I can do without some of the nicer things in life for away. I am now thinking 1 or 2 month trips to different parts of the country I want to see. But I know myself well enough to know that by then I will be ready to get back home to Missouri and have a few beers or a round of golf with friends and family. Those things are more important to me than spending months in the most beautiful spots in the US.
I honestly don't know how people do it year round. I had grandiose plans of living the life, but had to be honest with myself, and know I would not be happy. I've lived in other parts of the country throughout my life, working a thousand miles from home, and remember how after the newness wears off, I get homesick.
Still look forward to this site for advice along the way. Please, God, help me find the ideal Egg Camper, Lil Snoozy, Parkliner, Escape, or other brand to fit my 6'5" frame and make me comfortable to live in for a couple months at a time.
Mark, I'd like to compliment you on your candor and ability to be honest with yourself. While it may not be perceived as much of a compliment, I know many people who never manage to achieve the "know thyselfness" that you have achieved.

Know Thyself - this thought, commonly attributed to Socrates, stems from a more ancient source and lies at the root of all philosophy.

Let's call it a Zen thing; to be able to be honest with yourself is invaluable. Nothing wrong with adjusting your priorities as things change and your lifestyle changes with it.

This is something that many young people miss about themselves today and it can end up costing you, a lot, more than you realize. In your case, your relationships have more value than the ability to "get around."

Very sound basis from which to move forward. Nice...

Now, let's get out there and make it a good day.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:40 PM   #55

British Columbia
Get a dog and share it with her/him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Mark, I'd like to compliment you on your candor and ability to be honest with yourself. While it may not be perceived as much of a compliment, I know many people who never manage to achieve the "know thyselfness" that you have achieved.

Know Thyself - this thought, commonly attributed to Socrates, stems from a more ancient source and lies at the root of all philosophy.

Let's call it a Zen thing; to be able to be honest with yourself is invaluable. Nothing wrong with adjusting your priorities as things change and your lifestyle changes with it.

This is something that many young people miss about themselves today and it can end up costing you, a lot, more than you realize. In your case, your relationships have more value than the ability to "get around."

Very sound basis from which to move forward. Nice...

Now, let's get out there and make it a good day.
: funny it says the WANDERER'S??? that is plural so where is the other party in your party? I did the same in 09 as my wife could not get the time off and I just needed to get away after having worked most of my life up to then and so I went, but if not wife and not one to share it with A dog would of been nice company even it slept most of the day. Someone to care for makes the trip more interesting plus if caught talking to the dog people don't think your nuts or off your rocker.
Stude
Old 12-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #56

Missouri
I haven't had a dog since college years, and know they require daily attention. My lifestyle wouldn't be fair to the dog. I would deem it cruel to leave it cooped up in a trailer all day. I will want to have the freedom to go fishing, golfing, or whatever and be gone all day. I don't want to keep a dog cooped up all day. Good for some people, not me. And I do love dogs.

Tags
fulltiming