Change of heart on fulltiming - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #57

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We love our dogs too, and have always had them. And like you, that is why we will not have dogs when we retire and get to actually spend a lot of time on the road. Because we do want to be able to be out and about all day when the opportunity presents itself, and would not feel comfortable doing that if we had dogs back in the trailer.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #58

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Many parks will give you the boot if you leave dogs in the trailer while away from the site. We thought our dog just went to sleep. We learned from a neighbouring camper that she cries, loudly.
That dog-gone dog is gone and I don't want another. Wife, on the other hand

Old 12-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #59

Mark, Full timing thoughts

Hello Mark,

I think it's very important to maintain a "home base" somewhere. Recently my journey of retirement travels was interrupted by illness.

Put my household into storage started traveling, came down with Lyme's disease. Had a 2015 Casita Spirit deluxe, no home base and realized winter was coming... Travels have come to an end for me currently.

Loved the freedom but was a solo traveler becoming very ill out on the road.

I think some sort of "home" base is very important to fall back on.

Take care,
Ranger
Old 12-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #60

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Many parks will give you the boot if you leave dogs in the trailer while away from the site. We thought our dog just went to sleep. We learned from a neighbouring camper that she cries, loudly.
That dog-gone dog is gone and I don't want another. Wife, on the other hand
Hi: Glenn Baglo... My wife said "If you bring home a dog...I go". How simple is that?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #61

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey Alf,
Want to borrow my two to give her a scare??
Old 12-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #62

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Boy I had no idea this thread would carry on for so long. Lots of personal experiences shared by others.
I will always have a "home base" even though I don't own a home. Ste. Genevieve, Missouri will always be home. I am the youngest of twelve children, eleven still living, and we all live within an hour of each other. As ranger pointed out, if I would get sick, I would come "home" and rent an apartment. When I get to the point in my life that travel doesn't interest me, or I am unable to travel, I know "home" is where my family lives.
I am getting frustrated with my search for my travel trailer. My ideal trailer was posted for sale on here a couple months ago. Only problem was it was in New Hampshire. After exchanging emails, I was hoping to make a deal in the spring. I just got an email last week that he sold it. Bummer.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #63

Name: kevinbt
Trailer: oliver
New Jersey
I guess I have a different opinion I moved to St Louis after a divorce and the move was the 18th one for me I was forced to stay here so I could see my child on weekends and summers I don t regret that but I am counting the days to move out of St Louis and be on the road I enjoy meeting new people seeing different places I have no family and really know no one in St Louis as I am on the road 9 months a year so the decision is easier for me Good luck with your retirement its sounds like your plan will work out well for you
Old 02-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #64

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
MM...if you can come to our rally on Lake Shelbyville in June, you will visit with some fulltimers, some part timers, several different FG campers, mods, and lots of fellowship. See ", Buggies(Amish), Broadway, Boats, and Bo(Wood)" in Rallys Fourm. Hope to see you in June!
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #65

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Well, folks, at the risk of sounding wishy washy, my plans on buying a FGRV are on hold. I wish I could afford to buy a nice Escape or something similar, but it isn't the prudent thing to do right now. With retirement approaching, and I have never owned a house, I am going to stick all of my savings into a small house out in the country that I can almost pay cash for, and never have to worry about house payments or rent for the rest of my life. I can live comfortably on my modest pension if I don't have that expense hanging over my head each month. I hope to still eventually have a FGRV to travel some in my retirement, but I have to use my small savings for my retirement home.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #66

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
Quebec
Registry
I'm 100% in support of whatever works best for you. To me, a little country home that's all paid for sounds idyllic.
And you never know when a trailer might enter your life. What's life if it isn't full of surprises?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #67

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Planning for the end game (post retirement) is interesting.

Our primary home is a small trailer, our Scamp 16. It takes us where we want to go. Cost $5000 used, remodeled probably another $3000 to upgrade for our travels. We towed it with a reliable vehicle we already owned. It cost virtually nothing to own and always provides a cozy, dry space.

Our secondary home is a park model in an Escapee park where we're surrounded by friendly helping people much like us. We volunteer to work on projects with others and keep the place spify. Our entire purchase cost is about $25,000. Since there's a waiting list at our park you can turn it in and get your money back whenever you want. On top of the original purchase it costs us about $250 a month for electricity, internet, insurance and park maintenance fee.

All in all, we seek a comfortable place, rather low cost, a small space with not a lot of stuff, capable of handling four visitors though only one bedroom, we've sat 14 for dinner with small effort and 8 easily, a place that takes care of itself when we're traveling, where the grass is cut no matter how long we're gone, we're there are camp wide happy hours four days a week and individual happy hours daily.

A secondary part of this is falling apart time. The nature of the park allows you to hang on longer than you might in your own home. THough it's not an assisted living place, there's a fair amount of assisting. We actually have a group of men and women who are on a list to help widows and widowers.

We have numerous gatherings and meals, cards and games most nights, movies one night a week, poker regularly. More to do than anyone can.

Ginny's favorite aspect is it's size, easy to clean and maintain.

Another consideration beyond being able to stay here longer than we might in a more traditional home, is that it will be easy for our children to dispose of when we pass away. Pretty much everything in the building will pass on to the next owner.

A little different approach to the end game....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #68

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Norm and Ginny have it right!!

We were lucky enough to meet them in February and were quite impressed with their park and it's lifestyle. All of the points he made echo what Dennis and I will look for.

Nothing worse than being away and having to worry about things at home. This park is set up to alleviate that.

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #69

Florida
Settling In.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p;576712[I
]Norm and Ginny have it right!!

We were lucky enough to meet them in February and were quite impressed with their park and it's lifestyle. All of the points he made echo what Dennis and I will look for.

Nothing worse than being away and having to worry about things at home. This park is set up to alleviate that.

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.[/I]
Theresa, It was a delight having you as our guests.

Ginny especially wants to thank you for the flowers. "They lasted two weeks and I loved them." After you left I had to buy more.

There is something about simplifying one's life that adds to the joy and potential freedom of old age.

Bless you both and hope to see you at least one way of our trip to NL.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #70

Florida
Another View

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Norm and Ginny have it right!!

Thanks again, to you both, for your hospitality.
Here's a little but of the spirit.

We have a huge clubhouse. Last night we had our St. Patrick's dinner and dance, a massive amount of really good food. We cooked 150 pounds of corned beef, enough for 150 people for dinner plus enough for Ruben sandwiches at Saturday lunch and corned beef hash on Monday morning.

Today I held a painting party. Over 50 people appeared at 9 AM and gave the building a first coat of paint. We were finished by noon. we had people strung out across the building, unbelievably someone every 5 feet or so. We followed it up with a pizza lunch. It was a hoot. Tuesday we do a second coat.

It was old time barn raising fun. It was interesting to see how happy everyone appeared to be working together. It made me feel good to see the joy in it all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fulltiming