Clinical Rotations - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Clinical Rotations

Hi All,
I'm a PA student, looking ahead to this summer when I'll begin my clinical rotations. I'm a travelling program, meaning that I'll be moving to a different clinical site every six weeks. Instead of dealing with hunting for short-term rentals every month-and-a-half, I'd like to try to full-time it for the 14 months in a small trailer.
I was hoping to get some input on trailers to look for/avoid. I'm having some problems understanding what would be suitable to live in during winter months (potentially in some pretty cold, snowy places). And any other advice on switching to full-time trailer advice would be very welcome.
I'm definitely not able to buy anything new or super fancy - part of the reason to go this route is definitely the appeal of saving money.

TetonTele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #2
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Aaron, welcome to the forum.

Finding a ready to go used trailer for use this summer is a tall order. There are lots of people on the forum, including me, that would be willing to let you look at their trailer once you narrow down your selection,

Since your tow vehicle will limit your selection, tell us what you would be pulling the trailer with. Also what is your budget ?

Check out "trailer weights in the real world" on this forum.

Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
I currently have a Toyota Highlander (tow rating is either 3,000 or 3,500 pounds, I forget which), but I'm considering selling it and buying a pickup with a bit heavier tow rating. I'd like to keep the trailer on the lighter, smaller side, both for ease of towing and just to keep life a bit simpler.

I was initially hoping to keep the trailer cost below $10,000, but after looking around that doesn't seem as likely. I could probably spend up to $14,000 for the right setup.
TetonTele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
I'd look for a smaller Bigfoot, like this one currently for sale not far from you:

Bigfoots are built in Canada and are one of the better units for cold-weather use. Depending on the actual towing capacity of your Highlander, a 17' Bigfoot might be doable without upgrading. The information Jack referenced on real-world towing weights is here: Trailer Weights in the Real World. Post #297 has a nice downloadable spreadsheet, and there are several Bigfoot 17'ers listed. (Note that the newer 17.5'er is a bigger and heavier trailer.)
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote