Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Kentucky
Registry
Words of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
A woman ( Any Person for that matter) who has to be "Convinced" to do anything will NEVER be happy!

Enjoy your 6 months/year on the road SOLO!
This would end up as a true test of your relationship. You'll be married or separated by the end of this experience.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We met a couple today. They do not sleep together in their rig, the bed's too small. We're 73, I've known Ginny for almost 58 years. To me I still want to be in any space with her, just like when I was 16.

When we crawl into our Scamp bed, I'm not thinking this bed is too small. I know this doesn't fit everyone but it's how we view life. Heck when we were younger we could comfortably lie on a sofa.

This is from afar, as to convincing your girl friend, not a chance. There's a big difference between a girl friend and living in a small trailer. You need to be into the fun of a relationship, os a sharing of lives, not simply sharing space. You have not reached the sharing space stage.

The cost of a Cruise America is not too much of an investment for two people to try a life style. If you really wanted to be a part timer you wouldn't even stop and think about this small step.

Has she read this thread. Don't make it a secret, you plan to spend your life together at some point.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hi Bryce, Something we saw a lot of out in Utah last fall were Escape Camper Vans 4 Berth Campervan rentals USA

Give you a chance to see what it's like being in a small camper, albeit a conversion van, and it could get you out of the east. The ones we saw were out of Vegas. Some of the campers were new, or darn close to it, others were older and looked kind of beat.

JUCY RV's is another we saw few of, more a conversion car.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
It sounds to me like you are asking your GF to take a huge step. Most people I know got into camping of some sort as a kid or young single. They have some skills and experience to take on the road fulltime.

For someone in your position I'd recommend renting some sort of camper and giving it (and the GF) a trial.. I know some people who immediately love camping and all that goes with it. I know others wo would like to like camping but in reality don't enjoy being inconvenienced in any way. They get aggravated by the smaller space - the limits to convenient storage - the challenge of cooking healthy, nutritious meals on a two burner stove - the cabin fever that can set in during a week of rain etc.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #19

Name: Gorky
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
It's possible if you can also keep an open mind to the idea of settling down, buying a house, not traveling much at all, and doing whatever she has in mind. I don't think there's any chance of convincing someone of something if you're not open to considering and being convinced of the opposing view yourself, otherwise it becomes a war of wills. War of wills gets nowhere, there's the easy out of walking away if the other person doesn't come along, especially if you're not married. But if your GF was pushing you to live on the road you might start appreciating life at home. And if you start looking for a house to settle down in your GF may start looking for a trailer to get away in.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
While I have no comment on the relationship part of this equation, you did ask about renting a rig for a trial. I'm thinking that would be an excellent idea.

I have heard and read of folks who rented from a smaller RV dealer, not one of the major chains who are tied to rules and policies from afar. Find a Mom and Pop dealer that has an inventory sitting on their lot. Talk with them about renting one of their used rigs for a week or two. Chances are it will be cheaper than the big rental companies and you won't have to endure the ridicule of driving around a huge billboard. Some of these smaller dealers would welcome the opportunity to make a few bucks off one of their trailers while waiting to sell it, plus they would be in a better position to get your business if you do decide to buy.

Just a route that seems to make perfect sense.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I told my husband I was going to start looking for a camping buddy. My retirement plans started as we were cat-free to backpacking the AT (solo) then to an Aspen Motorcycle Popup Camper, then to a Teardrop as we acquired a cat, then to a FG with a large underbed storage to convert to a cat kingdom.

DH kept protesting he would go camping with me in the future- neither of us is up to sleeping on the airmattress in the tent anymore -and for about a year I just told him to stop lying to me, if you haven't wanted to camp before I doubt you'll want to camp now.

He is now semi retired and having anxiety attacks whenever we talk about camping. I knew he should have been camping with me to get used to things, he keeps pointing to all the camping trips he did do with me- less than10 in 35 years- but I couldn't tell him anything, and as a Hospice nurse I was VERY aware of the "we'll travel and live life large ***someday***" philosophy of life, which translates in actual terms to *someday never comes***. Never. NEVER. EVER.

I figure that our first 6 camping trips are going to be natural history as opposed to city trips, since city trips were all DH would agree to during this time. And I am prepared to fly him home if he can't take it. And continue solo- at least until I can find a camping buddy. It's what I've done for 35 years now. I have already shared a great many fantastic, once in a lifetime, peak experiences with 35 men and youth I don't see over the breakfast table anymore, so I'm kinda used to it.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
1. Calculate carefully before retiring so young particularly when you are counting on the stock market. I retired in 2007 at 50 years old, 99% of what I had was in the market. One year later was the financial crisis, 60% was gone. I weathered that storm, didn't panic, and survived but it was scary.

2. Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. She has to decide.

3. You can rent a Casita in TX, but you need a tow rig.

4. Our first RV experience was renting a small class c motor home. You can find them for rent anywhere.

Myself, I would see if you can live together first before taking on full timing. As far as pets, we take our dog everywhere. When we want to do some serious hiking we put her in a kennel for a couple of days.

Realize as the trailer gets bigger, so does the tow vehicle!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #23

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
As an animal lover, you wouldn't ever convince me just to foster and not to have my own dogs. Period. That may be part of why she isn't interested. I have friends who are going to do what you suggest- they have a park model in the SW and will spend winters there and "halftime" RV (in a MH) the other six months- but their dog(s) will be with them in both places. Yes, having dogs along does limit what you can do- but so does not going.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
We took a long trip out west with our dog earlier this year, and a similar trip without the dog last year. The joy of having our girl with us far, far, outweighed the inconvenience. She spent a couple of days in kennels at two stops, otherwise she was with us the whole time.

We were kind of miserable without her, she will be with us on future trips. And asking my wife to leave the dog home is no longer an option! Really, part of the reason people get RVs is so they can take their pets with them!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #25

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We took a long trip out west with our dog earlier this year, and a similar trip without the dog last year. The joy of having our girl with us far, far, outweighed the inconvenience. She spent a couple of days in kennels at two stops, otherwise she was with us the whole time.

We were kind of miserable without her, she will be with us on future trips. And asking my wife to leave the dog home is no longer an option! Really, part of the reason people get RVs is so they can take their pets with them!
Likewise, I agree that asking your gf to choose between you/camping/rving or her pets is an ultimatum which is stacked against you just for even asking. Purely selfish on your part and doesn't consider her needs.

Jen

Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin