Creative places to park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Creative places to park

I've been full-timing in my 13' Scamp since October and although I love it, I'm still paying $1000/mo for an RV spot. I'm a travel RN, just graduated with my masters degree, and student loan payments are kicking in. I need to find creative places to look for less expensive parking so that I can put that money toward my horrendous student loan debt. Hook-ups aren't really necessary as I can install a solar system and have no issue hauling water. I've tried browsing Craigslist as well as posting want ads there. Curious if any of you have any other ideas of how to come across a less expensive (or free) place to park. I mean it's 13' long...where CAN'T it fit?! Thanks!
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Many full timers get a free site by working part time for the campground. There are various duties they may perform, such as in the office, grounds maintenance, cleaning, and such. Generally referred to as Camp Host or Work Campers. We winter in one campground in GA. There are 5 or 6 camping workers here. One is a single woman. We were talking with her today and she feels it is easier for a married couple to get campground jobs because that is only one site used but provides two workers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #3

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
I can understand the desire to have two workers vs one. I wouldn't mind being a camp worker/host but most of those positions are spoken for (and on waiting lists) by retirees who are able to stay there more permanently. I've looked into property caretaking as well, but again, there is a requirement to be there the majority of the time. Since graduating, I'm hoping to travel extensively with medical mission and non-profits, so I wouldn't be available to agree to work exchange arrangements.
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Freecampsites.net is a useful, although somewhat limited, resource.

Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, and some other businesses allow campers to park in their lots, but of course these are very short term... a night or perhaps two.

Networking might help. Make friends, ask them if they know anyone who would let you park in their yard or on their property, or if they would put the word out among the people they know.

Do you always work in Utah? If not, what areas do you work in? Large cities or small towns, or what? Any national forest or BLM land nearby?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You can stay on BLM land for free for a few weeks before needing to move on to another place. City & County parks are around $10.00/night. You could even check with the hospitals that you are working for to see if you could park (not set-up camp) some place on their property. Camping world, Cracker Barrel, Wal-Mart, are all free places to camp over night, then move on to the next.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: robert
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
check out : https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/.
Cost is about $50 for 3 years.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
You could even check with the hospitals that you are working for to see if you could park (not set-up camp) some place on their property.
You might be surprised to find out just what all properties some institutions own besides the main building we usually think about. Also if you are on a mission or working for a non-profit somebody associated with them is sure to allow a clean, polite RN to park on their property. I would, and I have hookups and a dump.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I have a family member who is single that house sits for employees at the hospital he works at he stays at their house for free and takes care of plants and animals and gets paid for it while they travel. I'm sure a number of people in the area that your in would be happy to have someone trustworthy stay on their property for free while they are away.
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #9

Name: Ellen
Trailer: Scamp 13
No Fixed Abode
Katie - Interesting thread - we're always looking for less expensive places to stay at. Some good ideas on this thread. It's neat to find someone else living fulltime in a 13' Scamp!
CynicalSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #10

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
free or close to

i was thinking perhaps , you could check with some churches , and such places . also if you post on this site were you are working , area .. maybe some members in the area would have better idea,s of places in that area ??????
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #11

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalSailor View Post
Katie - Interesting thread - we're always looking for less expensive places to stay at. Some good ideas on this thread. It's neat to find someone else living fulltime in a 13' Scamp!
Do you two know about the fulltimers organization, Escapees? They have some info on where to stay and their membership cost was lowered recently. Plenty of other information you might want from them also.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Try this web site.

Map of Free Camping Areas | Go Camping for Free!
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
If you join Escapees you can buy and download the Days End listing of free and low cost camping spots across the country. $30 to join and I think $10 to buy the listing. Most of these have a time limit on how long you can stay. The Day's End Directory
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Katie, that is pretty high rent! Where are you? First thing I'd do is shop around. Most places have monthly rates. I think the most I ever paid was in the Baltimore area and that was $550 plus power.

One thing you may consider is asking your coworkers that have single family homes if you could park in their driveway for few $ a month. Your Scamp can mostly get by on a regular 15 amp drop cord. You'll need a spigot for water and a sewer cleanout to dump your waste. Most homes have a sewer cleanout somewhere - look for a white PVC pipe with a cap sticking out of the ground. To keep it low profile, I wouldn't have all these things hooked up when you don't need them. Just for your once a week service, or whatever interval you need.

If not with a co-worker, you could jut put up a Craigslist ad looking for a space. Just put your requirements in the ad. You'd be surprised at the number a folks that would help you out for a couple hundred extra dollars a month. Of course, you need to be very cautious dealing with strangers this way, but you might luck out and find a retired couple in the suburbs that would like a "tenant".

Another idea I read about was a guy doing "house sitting". He stayed in his van in the driveway and didn't go in the house at all. He watched over it, watered the plants, etc. They actually paid him! He moved alot though.

Good luck!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Katie, like Ron says, $1,000 a month seems really high to me. As a travel nurse are you staying in one place for just a day or two? That could add up because you'd have to pay a daily rate. But if you stay a week or a month in one place, you almost always get a cheaper per day rate. Most RV parks that cater to "permanent" residents charge in the neighborhood of $325 to $500 a month.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
You'll need a spigot for water and a sewer cleanout to dump your waste. Most homes have a sewer cleanout somewhere - look for a white PVC pipe with a cap sticking out of the ground.
Best make sure that it's not the access to shut off the home's city water before you try to dump. I've not found a sewer cleanout at my home, and I've been here more than 35 years.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Does the OP's 13' trailer have a bathroom and black tank? I do not recall seeing mention of that in the original post. If not, I would expect that having a place to stay with bathroom and showers may required. It may be of limited value for the OP to stay in someone's yard or driveway without access to a bathroom.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
How much of that $1,00 a month is for the spot, and how much for electric? If you're NOW in Utah, it must be a bit nippy.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #19

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Locally I have known campers to get permission from a nearby friendly farmer to set up in the yard. In small towns go to the local coffee shop and act friendly! Farms, acreages, churches, service clubs and Fish and Game groups etc - all are worth trying.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Another idea that may or may not work for you. Traveling nurses are needed in National Parks and recreation areas. My rent here in Utah at Lake Powell is $150/mo. I am not a nurse, but they run a clinic here and need nurses during the summer. Also found traveling nurses manning clinics in Yellowstone NP and at Amazon for their Christmas season build up. Yellowstone was $100/mo and Amazon was free. I am sure there are a lot more jobs such as the ones that I have come across for traveling nurses. AND you get to see some of the most beautiful places in the country and meet people from all over the world. AND you get paid to do it! Good luck!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote