Do you have a built in shower - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Thanks Darral for the insight and information with your on board shower system.

Thanks all, for the information you are providing.

This is helpful and much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
If a toilet / black water tank isn't an option, consider a c-head composting toilet. No smell, no 'slosh', no chemicals, and no blackwater tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Thanks Darral for the insight and information with your on board shower system.

Thanks all, for the information you are providing.

This is helpful and much appreciated.
Hi: BBQdave... We have two on board showers. One inside and one outside. I've never had enough nerve to take a shower outside though and we mostly use CG. showers when available. Saves on the wet bath cleaning.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
I picked up an exterior 2-room instant-up shower tent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
If a toilet / black water tank isn't an option, consider a c-head composting toilet. No smell, no 'slosh', no chemicals, and no blackwater tank.
Thanks Moe for the information on the outside shower setup. Ahead of Scamp 13 purchase, I will test outside shower and toilet systems.

I am currently not set up for full composting. So I like the convenience of the portable toilet. I am researching too, different liquid treatments for the portable toilet - that allow for appropriate dumping when boondocking.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Julie, what was it that made a built in shower more appealing than the camp showers?

Dave,

At some campgrounds you encounter the "ick" factor. They aren't all as clean as you would like when you go to use them. When dressing, there is limited space to put or hang things and yikes, sometimes things fall to the floor. Triple ick. Also, there are issues with water pressure and lack of hot water. (please don't flush the toilet when I am in the shower...please don't...argh!)

I have had to wait my turn. (Ever notice that some people take very long showers.)

Some places charge $$ for the shower and you have to feed in quarters for every 3 minutes (after paying $30 a night to camp!! That's nerve.)

And then there are my user errors. Once I left my glasses behind. (The camp host found me, though!) Most of the time I leave my shampoo and conditioner behind. Just annoying.

On the flip side, I don't have to clean or maintain anything.

Julie
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie and Jose View Post
I too am a lifetime tent camper who just purchased a 13 ft. Scamp last summer. When we were in the market, I was adamant that I did not want a bathroom. Keep the trailer light and bare bones. Less maintenance. We'll use a portapotty at night and the campground facilities the rest of the time.

This summer we went on our first semi-extended trip: 10 days. Previously we only went for 2 - 4 days. By the end of the trip, a private shower was looking mighty attractive. I didn't miss it when tent camping because it was out of the realm of possibility. However with the Scamp, there are options.

So now I am rethinking. But the maintenance scares me. Do I want to deal with hot water heaters, more plumbing tubes (and possible leaks?), cleaning, dumping gray and black water tanks, and so forth.

How much actual maintenance is there when you have a bathroom/shower on board?
There is very little to do to maintain a bathroom in a travel trailer. After twelve years of extensive use we have replaced the rubber gasket set in our toilet and a 12V water pump, the rest has been nothing more than keeping the system clean and fresh. The benefits FAR outweigh the cost and effort.
Going out to shower or use the toilet in the middle of the night is much more effort than staying in and experiencing the comfort and convenience of our own facilities.

The same conflict can be confronted when considering having a kitchen in a camper...
Going out to eat would save you the maintenance and expense of a stove , refrigerator,Propane, battery, electrical hookups, sink with running water and gray tank, food storage, dish washing, etc.
Do you want camp food or McDonald's?

Shivering and sweating profusely would save you the maintenance and expense of a furnace, cooling fan, and A/C.

Sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag and a pup tent would save you the maintenance and expense of a hard shell shelter, axle wheel bearings, tires,DOT lighting larger TV, etc.

Lighting and entertainment in a camper has some advantages over a simple flashlight.

My truck has roll up windows, rubber floor mats, and a manual transmission. These things give the illusion of simplicity. The fact is that the complexity and maintenance is not much diminished. If I had wanted power windows,carpeting and an automatic, the difference in comfort and convenience would have been deciding factors over any additional effort.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #21

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
We have two on board showers. One inside and one outside. ...we mostly use CG. showers when available. Saves on the wet bath cleaning.
Thanks Alf, I appreciate your experience. As a tent camper, I am leaning toward using CG showers and keeping the Scamp 13 simple.

My tent camp experience (and routines) are nudging me toward a basic layout with the Scamp 13.

Thanks again to everyone for this helpful information
Old 07-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Registry
I have a 17 ft. Casita with inside and outside showers. I use mine when the campground has no shower or when I am boondocking out West. Really gives you options on where you can camp. Where in N.C. do you live? If your close enough to Raleigh you can come by and take a look at a Casita.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #23

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie and Jose View Post
At some campgrounds you encounter the "ick" factor. They aren't all as clean as you would like when you go to use them.
Julie, I have had those experiences too. Which has me considering the built in shower.

At one of our favorite State Parks here in NC, it is inconsistent to say the least. Over all, nicely kept - but depending on what "crew" is working, the frequency of cleaning the facilities changes.

I see the advantages of having your own "facilities" as you control the frequency of cleaning and can keep it consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
There is very little to do to maintain a bathroom in a travel trailer. After twelve years of extensive use we have replaced the rubber gasket set in our toilet and a 12V water pump, the rest has been nothing more than keeping the system clean and fresh. The benefits FAR outweigh the cost and effort...
Floyd you are nudging me out of my tent camp mind set

Thanks for this information and experience. You (and others) are answering my big question: Benefit to cost?

I do not want to over read into your thoughts, but it seems there is a benefit to a self contained set up - more freedom in choosing camp sites, less dependent on camp facilities.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #24

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholloway View Post
I have a 17 ft. Casita with inside and outside showers. I use mine when the campground has no shower or when I am boondocking out West. Really gives you options on where you can camp. Where in N.C. do you live? If your close enough to Raleigh you can come by and take a look at a Casita.
Thanks Patrick, just south of you, Apex

Still in tent camp mode for awhile. But as I get closer to the purchase of a FGRV, may take you up on that. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #25

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Do be careful of shower tents. National Parks can be pretty picky on these. My brother, for convenience, once hung his 5 gallon flexible water container from a tree to make it easier to draw water. He got written up for having an outdoor shower. No ticket, just a warning, but the volunteer wouldn't accept his reason for hanging the container in a tree.

I have to say, my experience with National Park campground rules is that it depends a great deal on the volunteer hosts as to how the rules are applied.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Depends on How and Where You Camp

We're fine with a basic Scamp much as you describe. We camp at state parks, mostly, and manage the public facilities. I have wished for an onboard toilet or porta-potty more often than a shower for middle-of-the-night runs. But only if it had its own privacy room, which is not possible in a 13'er with four beds.

I agree that maintenance of a full wet bath is not that burdensome, though there is a learning curve. For extended touring (not something I anticipate doing) I would want a full bathroom. Gives you lots more flexibility in where you can camp. Forest service campgrounds (vault toilets, usually) are inexpensive; dispersed camping (no facilities) is often free, as are Walmart parking lots (where permitted).

One feature I have appreciated more than I thought I would is the furnace. Desert nights can get pretty chilly in winter.

Icebox vs fridge... hmmm... We have an icebox because we bought a used unit and that's what it had. It's pretty useless for cold storage- too small and poorly insulated- but it makes a nice place for temperature stabilized, critter protected storage of dry foods. The small fridge Scamp installs in the 13'ers would still be way too small for our family of four. Either way we'd need an ice chest. A fridge is better for resale, though, and might be adequate for two people who travel and eat lightly.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
I actually added a bathroom to our '71 Boler as is was like the basic Scamp layout. We sacrificed the kitchenette because we cook outside anyway and turned the front bunks 90 degrees in place of the kitchenette. I put a utility tub in the middle under the window (fit perfect) and a porta pottie next to the door. I made a light weight wooded wall out of 1x2s and plywood with an accordion door from Home Depot on clearance for next to nothing (had a small blemish but the door got cut down in height so it didn't matter). I plumbed it all with pex and brass fitting, used an $80 ebay tankless propane water heater (mounted to the tongue) and added a 16 gallon water tank and Seaflow 35 psi 2 gpm pump for when boondocking. I made the shower curtain out of 1/2" pvc. I am 5'9" and can shower just fine, have to crouch slightly to wash my hair, wife is shorter so she has no issues. The only draw back to ours is the shower curtain makes it feel a little cramped so I am thinking about making the bath a wet bath so the shower curtain will only go across the inside of the bath door instead of all the way around you. We use a rolling 22 gallon gray water tank for the shower and the porta pottie has its own black tank. I feel more comfortable knowing my wife and toddler have a clean shower & toilet where ever we go, even though most facilities are clean (some more so than others). The utility tub is very versatile for us as it also functions as a bath tub for our 4 year old, a washing machine for clothes on extended trips and a sink for dishes and hand washing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160313_234200247.jpg   IMG_20160408_203118331.jpg  

Old 07-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #28

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Hi Carl Pa,

I am a big gal and when I shower (going to have to be a little graphic here, sorry) I sit on the toilet to shower. Maybe you can try it in a pinch.

Our Ministry of Natural Resourses requires 70 ft ( I'm told) away from a natural water source and the grey water must flow over rocks and or gravel. For a shower or anything else that uses grey water.

I'm in Ontario and I go up to the Algonquin Highlands, family property, just after black fly season and stay until October. A shower is necessary to me.

Last year we bought a "Honey Pot" on wheels to empty the black water then grey water into. I can load it into my van using a homemade ramp and drive the Honey Pot to a dump station. I dump it, rinse it and when I bring it back to my Boler , add a cup of bleach with water and swish it around.

How did I get into Honey Pots? Oh well, something for all to consder.

Linda