That is very clever!
Linda

Old 07-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Do be careful of shower tents. National Parks can be pretty picky on these...
Thanks Clif. Sad to say, I have not yet camped in a national park. As a kid, camped on private land and State Parks - and now camp in NC State Parks.

I believe part of my showering requirement will involve researching where I camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Icebox vs fridge... hmmm... We have an icebox because we bought a used unit and that's what it had. It's pretty useless for cold storage- too small and poorly insulated- but it makes a nice place for temperature stabilized, critter protected storage of dry foods...
Jon, I am researching (some information from this forum) insulating the ice box exterior for better cold retention.

I like my camp coolers, and hope to bring the ice box up to that level of cold retention.

And thanks for the information on your experience with your Scamp. I like the 13 Standard, but am also studying the 16 Standard - with space to add (non moving) portable toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
Our Ministry of Natural Resourses requires 70 ft ( I'm told) away from a natural water source and the grey water must flow over rocks and or gravel. For a shower or anything else that uses grey water.
Interesting. Is this dedicated rv sites with french drains for the grey water?

And John, that is a great modification for a built in bath room.

Thanks for all the information and help everyone

Old 07-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
...Jon, I am researching (some information from this forum) insulating the ice box exterior for better cold retention. I like my camp coolers, and hope to bring the ice box up to that level of cold retention...
There looks to be room to add additional insulation around the box. You might also rig up some kind of flexible plastic across the opening, sort of like a commercial walk-in. Being front-opening, cool air drains out the bottom every time you open the door. I also found the drain tube can become an entry point for insects. We lost a beautiful strawberry pie to ants that way. Maybe a screen over the tip of the tube?

I love our Coleman 70 quart Xtreme ice chest (under $45 at Walmart). Enough room for our food, bins to keep things dry and separated, and a large 20 lb. bag of ice cubes from Costco (cheapest ice around!). Lasts 3-4 days. For the price, I haven't found one better.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #32

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
NEVER....

I never use the CG showers.....always use my shower... every day.

I lived in my trailer for two months straight once.

but I can see that in a 13 footer it will be a challenge space wise...you gotta give something else up

Maintaining/cleaning a well designed and set up wet bath in a RV is easier than doing the same at home......at home I don't hose down the whole bathroom after a shower (and that's something I do everytime in the RV...takes about 15 seconds!...talk about a CLEAN bathroom!)

the one difference is that at home, like most guys I think(?), I shower first then shave and brush my teeth....with a wet bath it's brush and shave first...so that the "hose down" after the shower cleans everything

I am such a fan that I am surprised the plumbing industry has not come up with such an item for small apartments....like maybe 4' by 4' in size....I wouldn't mind living with/in that at all...

1997 BF17 CB
Attached Thumbnails
bath2.jpg   bath3.jpg  

bath8.jpg   bath9c.jpg  

Old 07-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
...I also found the drain tube can become an entry point for insects. We lost a beautiful strawberry pie to ants that way! Maybe a screen over the tip of the tube?
You would not think insects could traverse a water drain tube, but I have seen ants in action (out camping) and they manage most anything when it comes to food

Thanks for the heads up on the drain tube.

Quote:
I love our Coleman 70 quart Xtreme ice chest (under $45 at Walmart). Enough room for our food and a large 20 lb. bag of ice cubes from Costco (cheapest ice around!). Lasts 3-4 days. For the price, I haven't found one better.
Same here Jon, I have a smaller Coleman Xtreme ice chest - and it's a valuable camping asset! I use mine for ice storage, ice that I add to my other older coolers.

I freeze blocks of ice and store in the Coleman Xtreme - add to the older coolers as needed. Can't bring myself to toss a good (old) cooler, so this is the cooling process I worked out
Old 07-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #34

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Hello full time and extended trip folks. Do you have a built in shower? Or do you use the camp showers?

I'm a tent camper (with kids) and have always used the camp facilities, State Park or Private Camp. Checking out Scamp trailers, and I like the simple approach of no built in bathroom, but I also don't want to miss out on a possible good resource that a built in shower might provide.

As a tent camper, my first thought (with a Scamp) is to add a portable toilet (for night time convenience) and shower at camp facilities. For those times camp showers are not available, researching the 2 gallon sprayer shower.

Grateful for the knowledge in this forum - already have a lot of ideas. And I am looking down the road, when the kids are grown, going on extended trips and maybe full time RVing. So wondering about the benefits (and problems) of built in showers.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated, thanks.
For a trailer like the Scamps you are looking at, you will get so much more space to use for other purposes like storage, and much better open feeling to the interior if you go without a shower.

We have a shower in the trailer, and still prefer to use the campground ones if available.

A portable toilet would do the trick when needed.

The best way to clean without a shower is to just do a sponge bath. We tend to both do one at the same time, with small amount of warm water to soap up with, and another small bit to rinse off with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #35

North Carolina
Francois, I like the size of the Scamp 13, and that's the challenge - what function will it provide.

A 13 Standard with the couch (bunks) would meet my needs nicely. And I am not adverse to storing a small portable toilet in the bottom couch cabinet - access overnight, as needed. Then I am relying on CG showers, which is what I have done for my camping life.

Thanks for the information and help all, have to sort my tent camp mind and benefits of a FG trailer - maybe with a built in shower
Old 07-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #36

North Carolina
Jim, that's what I was thinking with the Scamp 13 - I would far more appreciate the couch (bunk beds) and storage, than a built in shower. Especially coming from the tent camping, that I'm used to.

Thanks again all, going to go get the charcoal started, for some burgers & hot dogs - kids are getting hungry
Old 07-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Over the past 10 years camping with 7 different trailers, all but one with a shower/bath combo I have used the shower maybe 6 times. I would not be without a toilet, but the shower is hardly ever used.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
David, with kids and a 13'er, you don't really have a choice- skip the bath. If you're willing to go larger, I find the 16' Layout 4 attractive, and it can be as simple as you like: icebox, cold water only, no shower or toilet, porta-potty in the privacy closet. The extra galley space is nice if you plan to do any inside cooking. Lacks the "cute" factor, though...

The best thing about molded fiberglass towables is that your first choice doesn't have to be your last. Their strong resale value means it's fairly painless to buy and later resell if your needs change. A 13'er without a bath is likely an easier resale than a 16'er without a bath.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #39

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
One fella here added one and a ports potti to a compact jr..I think his names Fredrick and it's pretty neat.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #40

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
California
It depends on why you camp and where you go.

We retired and we started to tour national parks, mostly, and other parks and monuments. We want to see the parks and the trailer allows us to be in the park and enjoy that experience. We bought a vintage trailer without a toilet or shower. After a 3 week trip, we learned that we really wanted that toilet and shower in the trailer when we had to go for 4 nights with only the camp toilet at Arches National Park. So we sold the vintage trailer and bought an Escape 19. We got the 19 because you can stand up in the shower, and because it had a full size Queen bed. It works so well for us, that in a little over a year, we have put about 9,000 miles on the trailer. We use camp showers when they are available and clean, and the trailer when they are not. It works so well for us that we would never go back to the shower-less trailer. You may have other desires for why you have a trailer and how you camp, and that's fine. But for us, we love our trailer with the flexibility of the shower and toilet. And the maintenance so far has been really easy. Yes, we have to dump our tanks and clean the shower, but we are talking minutes per camp and maybe an hour at the end of a trip so it's no big deal for us.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #41

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

but I can see that in a 13 footer it will be a challenge space wise...you gotta give something else up

1997 BF17 CB
Like that long walk to the bathroom clear at the other end of the trailer?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #42

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Jim, that's what I was thinking with the Scamp 13 - I would far more appreciate the couch (bunk beds) and storage, than a built in shower. Especially coming from the tent camping, that I'm used to.

Thanks again all, going to go get the charcoal started, for some burgers & hot dogs - kids are getting hungry
The front bath actually provides more storage space than the bunks.... but if you need the bunks, you'll have to pass up the bath.

I once had to sell my sporty car for a minivan when the kids came along..

(but I did get a 5spd manual, Moog springs, three piece sway bar, Monroe Magnums,and wider wheels with decent tires.)