Do you have a built in shower - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

but I can see that in a 13 footer it will be a challenge space wise...you gotta give something else up

1997 BF17 CB
Like that long walk to the bathroom clear at the other end of the trailer?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #42

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Jim, that's what I was thinking with the Scamp 13 - I would far more appreciate the couch (bunk beds) and storage, than a built in shower. Especially coming from the tent camping, that I'm used to.

Thanks again all, going to go get the charcoal started, for some burgers & hot dogs - kids are getting hungry
The front bath actually provides more storage space than the bunks.... but if you need the bunks, you'll have to pass up the bath.

I once had to sell my sporty car for a minivan when the kids came along..

(but I did get a 5spd manual, Moog springs, three piece sway bar, Monroe Magnums,and wider wheels with decent tires.)
Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #43

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi David & All,

Lively discussion. What the heck, here are my preferences as a newbie that loves to travel, but does not have a long camping history, so Laura and I aren't seasoned campers. When we first got the bug for a FG trailer, we wanted a Scamp 13' Standard Layout 2 Big Bed. The reasons why? It had the two things that we valued most:

1. A dedicated bed (rear dinette that we would have kept down as a bed all the time).
2. A bathroom. We insisted on a bathroom that offered a bit of privacy.

As it turned out, the bathroom in Scamp 13' was going to add enough weight and tongue weight to challenge our current vehicle. Once we decided that we would have to upgrade and buy a used tow, we ended with a Casita 17' FD. So we got our two necessities, plus a really cool small two person dinette with swivel chairs.

We have now camped 20 nights so far for our first ever camping season. We don't regret the bathroom at all. We use it all the time. Love it at night time. I still tend to shower in the CG showers, but I use the Casita shower sometimes when we have full hookups, it is late at night, and the campground shower is a bit of a distance. I like having the flexibility of the shower.

We love the bathroom, but it is just the two of us (newbie empty nesters) and we don't need sleeping for anymore than 2.

Wishing you the best!

Dean
Old 07-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #44

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
not surprised....

that lay-out....dinette at the back (where 90% of the time is where the view is!)....that can be left as a done up bed (lazy buggers)....a full bathroom up front.....and a 2 seat little "sit and eat" space in the middle...????

very TOUGH combination to beat....that's for sure
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #45

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
We've only had our new-to-us Casita 17 SD out for a four-night family camp-in at a state park. Hadn't tested the hot-water heater, and needed to conserve the propane for the 'fridge, so didn't try the shower. It's our first RV; before it was always tents, a few times over the years even out of a canoe on the Allagash lakes. No showers there. Real campers don't need showers, anyhow.

We got the Casita because we decided that we were getting too old for sleeping on the ground and using little brown shacks back in the woods (or just the woods). It's nice having your own toilet, with a convenient sink, even if it's mighty cramped. And I just tested the hot-water heater. It works! So maybe I'll try the shower next time out, just for fun.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #46

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
We have a built-in shower in our Fiber Stream. We only use it when in full hook-up locations, since the volume of the gray water tank is limiting. We make sure the gray water drain is open before we take a shower. Nothing is more annoying than the gray water coming up the shower drain in the middle of a shower!

We camp with full hook-up only when staying for several days or more. Otherwise, its the campsite showers for us.
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
BBQdave...let me throw a couple of more comments in here. There's been A LOT of posts on this topic which is good.

But there's a couple things I want to point out from experience. One is, use ODORLOS chemical. That eliminates the "smell" someone else was mentioning you have to deal with in a toilet. I absolutely will not use anything else now. I use the "liquid" version.

Two is- someone mentioned leaving your gray water valve open. DO NOT do this if you have/use a toilet! Letting the water build up in the tank gives you a "reservoir" for dumping. In other words- with a toilet- you will dump the black tank first and if you're hooked to city water, rinse it out some. I even leave some water in my fresh water tank if I'm NOT hooked up to city to add a little to "flush".

THEN, you will use the gray water and dump it last. The water in there obviously will be a bit more "friendly" and help wash out your drain hose and just push out residue that may have been left in the connectors etc. You can take the time to stand at a dump station and wash/rinse out your "stinky slinky" (Sewer hose) but you'll get some stares if other campers are stacked up behind you waiting to dump. The wife is usually inside and if I'm at a full hookup (water, sewer, electricity) CG and I will get her to run water in the gray tank again as well with the valve closed. Then I final flush it with the clean water.

If you will take care of your tanks/sewer system, they WILL take care of you! No matter how much trouble this sounds- I still will NOT be without my bathroom!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #48

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
...there's a couple things I want to point out from experience. One is, use ODORLOS chemical. That eliminates the "smell" someone else was mentioning you have to deal with in a toilet. I absolutely will not use anything else now. I use the "liquid" version.
Thanks Darral for the tip on ODORLOS chemical. And I appreciate the information on emptying Black & Grey tanks, and how not to tick off fellow RVers when dumping

I have researched dumping the tanks, and seems straight forward. I think what this comes down to, my style of camping and the future.

Currently with the kids, it's fun short outings, around 4 to 5 days. In the future, with the kids grown, I will have the opportunity to be out camping longer.

I think I need to look past my current tent camping mind set, and down the road - with extended stays and the value of on board amenities.

Thanks again all for your ideas. This is really helpful, and reading your experiences gives me some idea of the possibilities down the road
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #49

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have the yacht of fiberglass campers, the Bigfoot Silver Cloud (No fiberglass owners wave at us now, because our camper is so large. But hey, the stickies still tower over us .). It has a BATHTUB! The shower is built into the bathtub.

We just returned from "volunteering" on Pine Ridge Lakota Reservation (The quotes are because, since we have volunteered there so many years, and because I have a hand and foot disability that appeared in the last 2 years and may not be able to work the building tools anymore, they gave us a week of classes and visitations. GREAT WEEK!). There were no showers designated for us to use (I am sure we could have used the bunkhouse showers, but it is not comfortable barging in on those who are bunking there.), so we welcomed our shower. The shower was primarily used for washing hair since we did not want to run out of on-board water, but clean hair sure felt good!

That being said, our first fiberglass camper had a shower that was fabricated in the center of the 13' Burro. Hubby made a square of PVC that hung from the ceiling, and I bought shower curtains to fit. The drain was a large plastic tub. We actually never used it, but it was tested and worked (We used a pitcher to wash our hair and sponged off when volunteering the year we owned our Burro or used the campground shower.)

Our second fiberglass camper was a 17' Uhaul with a privacy room. To shower, you had to shove the porta-potty under the front seat. We did use it if need be, but it was easier to use the campground shower or again use the pitcher for hair and sponge off. Hubby used the water tank that came with the camper and added a pump that gave us onboard running water, but it was still easier to shower in the campground or use the pitcher method when we were on Pine Ridge.

If you do not wish to sacrifice the space for a shower, a pump like the hubby used and and outside shower tent might be just the answer.

CindyL
Old 07-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #50

Registry
For those who prefer not to have a built in toilet in their trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
plumbingtruck.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #51

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have both an indoor and outdoor shower in our trailer .
Never use the indoor shower ,seldom use the outdoor
So far we have only had one issue with using CG showers.
Have taken many dunks in lakes, streams or rolls in the snow to rinse off /clean up.
When camping , I am more concerned with what's for breakfast ,lunch or dinner or if the beer is cold than about the shower facilities.
We used to go deer hunting for the whole 9 day season (Late November in Northern Minnesota) , there was never a shower within 30 miles and we survived.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #52

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Only as long as the beer holds out!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #53

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
survived???

it's not about surviving....don't even need an RV, with or without shower to do that....people survived without indoor plumbing too...

it's about comfort/luxury...

I've travelled cross continent on a motorcycle with a tent....but that was 40 odd years ago....I cruised on a boat where a shower (lukewarm) could only be had out on deck (you can't go for a swim when the water temp is in the fifties F)....

I now have the resources to have a hot shower anywhere, anytime I please/choose....that is a luxury and I like it... I like it a LOT
Attached Thumbnails
whimperb.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #54

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Couldn't have said it better myself...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:19 PM   #55

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
...We don't regret the bathroom at all. We use it all the time. Love it at night time. I still tend to shower in the CG showers, but I use the Casita shower sometimes when we have full hookups, it is late at night, and the campground shower is a bit of a distance. I like having the flexibility of the shower.
Dean, I'm looking at our current needs, and style of camping with the kids. We go to State Parks with nice amenities, inexpensive and fun to explore the park. I'm grateful for the hot showers and fairly consistent cleanliness of the NC State Park facilities.

That's our camping, local and long weekends. So the Scamp 13 Standard (bunk beds) add a portable toilet - would work nicely for us.

But I know (far too quickly) the kids will grow, be off on their own - and I will have an opportunity to travel and time for extended stays. So I can see the benefit of on board amenities. What you have going on

I like the Scamp 13 Standard, but it may be more practical to get the Scamp 16 Standard, with the side wet bath and bunks. Still researching and sorting ideas

Thanks again to all who are sharing their experiences and insight, much appreciated,

Dave
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #56

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
But I know (far too quickly) the kids will grow, be off on their own - and I will have an opportunity to travel and time for extended stays. So I can see the benefit of on board amenities. What you have going on
I like the Scamp 13 Standard, but it may be more practical to get the Scamp 16 Standard, with the side wet bath and bunks. Still researching and sorting ideas Dave
Dave, might as well get the 16 first, saves what around here is called 2'itess .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
If I were you I would take a hard look at the Parkliner...it has a large bed, option for side bunks and a bathroom, I seen one in person at Eggs on the Hiawassee and if I had the funds that is likely what I would be getting. I liked it so much that I even fashioned our 13 Boler re-design based on parts of the Parkliner. If funds are an issue and you want a shower/toilet and to sleep 4 keep in mind there are some mods that could make it possible, a little crowded maybe but possible...you can always add a single or double bunk above the rear dinette as seen here on other mods and I figured a way you sleep on the floor with your feet underneath the dinette by making a removeable riser for the lower floor that meets up with the dinette floor. Lots of possibilities...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #58

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm more concerned about being clean than I am drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have both an indoor and outdoor shower in our trailer .
Never use the indoor shower ,seldom use the outdoor
So far we have only had one issue with using CG showers.
Have taken many dunks in lakes, streams or rolls in the snow to rinse off /clean up.
When camping , I am more concerned with what's for breakfast ,lunch or dinner or if the beer is cold than about the shower facilities.
We used to go deer hunting for the whole 9 day season (Late November in Northern Minnesota) , there was never a shower within 30 miles and we survived.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #59

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The bathroom is appreciated when you have a gale blowing with sideways rain. The walk to the bathroom is short and dry and you don't have to return to get the forgotten soap.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'm more concerned about being clean than I am drunk.
Enjoying alcohol does not have to equate to being drunk.

I too would want to ensure I had a place to pack my Scotch and chill my beer. I do like to keep clean, but it does not take a shower to do that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote