Do you have a built in shower - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
If I were you I would take a hard look at the Parkliner...it has a large bed, option for side bunks and a bathroom, I seen one in person at Eggs on the Hiawassee and if I had the funds that is likely what I would be getting. I liked it so much that I even fashioned our 13 Boler re-design based on parts of the Parkliner. If funds are an issue and you want a shower/toilet and to sleep 4 keep in mind there are some mods that could make it possible, a little crowded maybe but possible...you can always add a single or double bunk above the rear dinette as seen here on other mods and I figured a way you sleep on the floor with your feet underneath the dinette by making a removeable riser for the lower floor that meets up with the dinette floor. Lots of possibilities...

Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #58

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I'm more concerned about being clean than I am drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have both an indoor and outdoor shower in our trailer .
Never use the indoor shower ,seldom use the outdoor
So far we have only had one issue with using CG showers.
Have taken many dunks in lakes, streams or rolls in the snow to rinse off /clean up.
When camping , I am more concerned with what's for breakfast ,lunch or dinner or if the beer is cold than about the shower facilities.
We used to go deer hunting for the whole 9 day season (Late November in Northern Minnesota) , there was never a shower within 30 miles and we survived.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #59

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The bathroom is appreciated when you have a gale blowing with sideways rain. The walk to the bathroom is short and dry and you don't have to return to get the forgotten soap.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #60

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Enjoying alcohol does not have to equate to being drunk.

I too would want to ensure I had a place to pack my Scotch and chill my beer. I do like to keep clean, but it does not take a shower to do that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 AM   #61

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Neither does it equate to whether you want a shower or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I too would want to ensure I had a place to pack my Scotch and chill my beer. I do like to keep clean, but it does not take a shower to do that.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #62

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Neither does it equate to whether you want a shower or not.
Absolutely!

I actually want both myself (on orders from the wife, as her only two requests in a trailer are a permanent bed and a pot to pee in ), but the Scotch and beer are a priory (for me) is all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #63

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
it's not about surviving....don't even need an RV, with or without shower to do that....people survived without indoor plumbing too...

it's about comfort/luxury...

I've travelled cross continent on a motorcycle with a tent....but that was 40 odd years ago....I cruised on a boat where a shower (lukewarm) could only be had out on deck (you can't go for a swim when the water temp is in the fifties F)....

I now have the resources to have a hot shower anywhere, anytime I please/choose....that is a luxury and I like it... I like it a LOT
We used to make a sauna out of sticks ,pine branches and canvas tarps, get warmed up and jump in the lake through a hole in the ice.
You said it well it's not a necessity , it's a comfort / luxury , I just don't get overly concerned about luxury.
By the way , I will be going deer hunting again this fall for 7 days ,only an outhouse for sanitary facilities and 120 acres of Lake for a tub . Works for me.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #64

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I never met a drinker who thought otherwise and only a couple who could recognize or admit to intoxication.

Coming from a lifelong teetotaler...your statement is objectively and technically true!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #65

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I don't drink / consume any alcoholic beverages , haven't for over 30 years. I carry beer for my wife , friends or visitors.
I am not concerned in the least about being drunk
Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #66

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Never trust a man who doesn't drink...
W.C.Fields
Old 07-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #67

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Never trust a man who doesn't drink...
W.C.Fields
I never worry about being driven to drink; I just worry about being driven home.

W.C.Fields
Old 07-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #68

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Yeah, don't let Paycheck do it:

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Two is- someone mentioned leaving your gray water valve open. DO NOT do this if you have/use a toilet!
Darral,

I agree about using the gray water to help flush the plumbing when dumping. However, in the Casita, we do have to open separate valve which controls flow between the shower and the gray water tank.

When travelling, this 2nd valve keeps the contents of the gray water tank from sloshing up into the shower pan as the pan is barely any higher than the holding tank. And, when showering, the shower pan will quickly fill up if it is left closed.

Most Casita owners are aware of this. However, I did see a post here from someone that was a year into ownership before he learned he didn't necessarily need to clean up slopped water from the holding tank each time after towing.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #70

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Dean, I'm looking at our current needs, and style of camping with the kids. We go to State Parks with nice amenities, inexpensive and fun to explore the park. I'm grateful for the hot showers and fairly consistent cleanliness of the NC State Park facilities.

That's our camping, local and long weekends. So the Scamp 13 Standard (bunk beds) add a portable toilet - would work nicely for us.

But I know (far too quickly) the kids will grow, be off on their own - and I will have an opportunity to travel and time for extended stays. So I can see the benefit of on board amenities. What you have going on

I like the Scamp 13 Standard, but it may be more practical to get the Scamp 16 Standard, with the side wet bath and bunks. Still researching and sorting ideas

Thanks again to all who are sharing their experiences and insight, much appreciated,

Dave

Dave,

I'll add another perspective from someone relatively new to travel trailers. In our household, the kids are gone and we have changed the door locks; it’s just me and the wife, closing in on retirement. Our trips currently run from 3 to 10 nights, but we anticipate longer travels in the future.

We bought a 17’ Casita Freedom Deluxe primarily because of the advantages of molded fiberglass and for the swivel chairs. The Casita is fully equipped, with an air conditioner, propane stovetop and furnace, 3-way fridge, 2-way water heater, kitchen sink and a wet bath. I initially considered that it had all the complications and none of the advantages (space) of a larger trailer.

Over time I have been teaching myself the mysteries of operating and maintaining all of those “complications”. The ability to run our fridge on a very small amount of propane is one of the truly great advantages as we like to enjoy a lot of fresh food and salads. From what I have read and estimated, it appears that a 20-lb cylinder can last through several weeks of operation.

We still haul our camp stove and have cooked outdoors to date. The wet bath has only been used to house our laundry bag as we have been selecting campgrounds with a high bias towards clean restrooms and shower facilities. However, I expect over time that all the features will eventually come into play and be useful, especially as we spend more time boondocking.

Regarding maintenance needs, from what I see on the forums I would say that the gas appliances, particularly refrigerators followed by furnaces, tend to periodically require some service. Water heaters seem to require some maintenance and ultimately replacement. I don’t see the showers and baths requiring much of either other than shower heads clogging.

Folks have been great about posting the various pros and cons here. It’s ultimately all about what works for you, including questions of tow vehicle and wallet capacities as each can have a significant bearing on your decision here. There’s also a question of timing and changing needs. You might find like many that your third RV is really the perfect one for you. Maybe the one that will work with kids is different from what you will want later on.

Good luck on finding a trailer and try to get out to some of those National Parks one day. Growing up on the left coast, that’s always been something I have been grateful for.