Do you have a built in shower - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #81

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Don't get sticker shock with the shower option. It includes water heater, grey water tank, shower pan, surround and shower drain pump and filter. You can't buy the parts for what they ask for the option. When selling a Scamp the shower question is one of the first questions you get.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #82

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
A few years ago you could get the Scamp 16 shower without the sink, which gives you more room. A couple months ago there was a fellow in NJ selling one, which I was tempted to buy—though as it is, I'm glad we ended up finding a Casita 17 with the front bath. It's a little more roomy, but just a little.

I'd suggest the Casita, but they don't offer a bunk option that would hold a couple of kids. ParkLiner does, though. They're down in your neck o' the woods, too. See here:

ParkLiner Large Interior UltraLight – ParkLiner Ultralight Travel Trailers

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #83

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
I'd suggest the Casita, but they don't offer a bunk option that would hold a couple of kids...
Actually they do, in a couple of ways. A Casita standard, not deluxe, has a sofa/bunk set-up in place of the front bathroom. For those who want bunks AND a bathroom, Spirit deluxe models are available with a sofa/bunk in place of the side dinette.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #84

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Actually they do, in a couple of ways. A Casita standard, not deluxe, has a sofa/bunk set-up in place of the front bathroom. For those who want bunks AND a bathroom, Spirit deluxe models are available with a sofa/bunk in place of the side dinette.
I stand corrected. But my impression is that the ParkLiner enables you to convert from dinette to bunks to sofa and back. Says ParkLiner:

Quote:
With bunk option, the side dinette converts to a bunk that sleeps two more. It can also be converted into a couch for daytime use.
Does the Spirit Deluxe? Don't see any pics of the bunk option on the Casita website.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #85

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No, it does not. Both of Casita's bunk options- front and side- fold down to a gaucho seat, no table. Like Scamp's, they are weight-limited. Parkliner's bunk can hold full-size adults.

You're also right- no pics on the website. It's on the options list, but I don't think they sell many that way. I have seen a few used units for sale with the option, though.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #86

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
The Shower!

It kills me how many people brag about how they don't use the equipment that comes with their trailer or how much trouble it is to use it. Some camp sites do have really nice baths but I have seen many I wouldn't want a stray dog to go into. We have a Casita 17 SD with all the bells and I find using the shower a snap. Flip the hot water switch, wait a little while, stand or sit in the shower,take your time but not to long,have a towel dedicated to wiping the shower walls,this take 64 seconds and your done. Nice and private,clean,all the things you need are right there,no flip flop dirt all over the place. Hook up the sewar hose on day two and all is good.

Steve & Hilde
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #87

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
It kills me how many people brag about how they don't use the equipment that comes with their trailer or how much trouble it is to use it.
I don't see it as bragging in the least. Folks are just exercizing their right to make choices. I choose to use the campground showers if it is relatively easy to do so. I prefer the bigger space, I love the walk to the washrooms, and there is no clean up.

I will not hesitate to use the trailer shower if I need it, I just have had very little opportunity to do so. We only have hookups maybe 10% of the time tops, so we have to watch our water usage and waste water storage.

If I had a trailer bigger than 17' I would definitely get a bath in one, at 17' probably, but anything smaller and I would forgo the shower for more room in the trailer for other things.

Hey, if you are going camping, you are already a winner. Whether you have a bath or not is not necessary to have a memorable time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #88

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My trailer is a 13' without a shower or toilet or portapotty. That's our choice.
Some people see to think they day is not complete with the water immersion thing. There's other options to hygiene. I use a thing called "Fresh Bath" which is towelette. It works for me.
Some people only camp, I use that term loosely, once or twice a year. We're out about 90 days at a time in the winter and 10 days to 2 weeks at a time in summer adding up to close to 6 months of living in our little perfect for us 13'. Again it's a choice made with eyes open.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #89

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Have to get to a rally

Thanks all for sharing your experiences with (and without) on board wet baths. Helps a great deal to read your experiences and recommendations and sort that with my own tent camping experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Dave, call Scamp for a referral of that layout in your area so you can see one in person and "size" it up .
Dave, that's on my research To Do list - check out a FG trailer rally, and see the different layouts. I'm fairly sure the Scamp 16 Standard with the side wet bath and couch bunk-beds would work great for our family. Would be nice to see one, through a referral or at a rally.

Again, still researching, and deciding. The Scamp 13 Standard with couch bunk-beds would also nicely fit our family's current camping style.

Thanks again all for sharing your experiences
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #90

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't see it as bragging in the least. Folks are just exercizing their right to make choices. I choose to use the campground showers if it is relatively easy to do so. I prefer the bigger space, I love the walk to the washrooms, and there is no clean up.

I will not hesitate to use the trailer shower if I need it, I just have had very little opportunity to do so. We only have hookups maybe 10% of the time tops, so we have to watch our water usage and waste water storage.

I fully concur. I prefer showering in a larger space with a greater supply of hot water, and I also enjoy the walk to the bath house.
I think everyone figures our what works best for their particular situation/needs/desires and I respect their right to do whatever works best for them, even if it is not how I might do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #91

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post

Dave, that's on my research To Do list - check out a FG trailer rally, and see the different layouts. I'm fairly sure the Scamp 16 Standard with the side wet bath and couch bunk-beds would work great for our family. Would be nice to see one, through a referral or at a rally.

Again, still researching, and deciding. The Scamp 13 Standard with couch bunk-beds would also nicely fit our family's current camping style.

I've seen a few others do all the online research like you're doing before. Spending months going over everything, picking the "perfect" one only to find that after two seconds inside it, that pictures do sometimes lie. As others have said, the first couple RVs generally don't end up being the perfect one for a number of reasons. For me, after just short of 50 years of camping, with only a couple dozen nights of hookups a wet bath is a must. I know my two daughters sure liked having it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #92

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We have a Scamp 13 with front bunks and two kids (12 and 14) and haven't missed having a bath at all. We also come from many years of a tent camping background and are very much used to using the facilities as they exist in campgrounds. Most of our camping is done where there are no hookups and just pit toilets, although for longer trips, we add in a State Park or I find out where public showers exist so we can get a shower in every few days

This year is only our second year with our little Scamp, but it has rained on us NON STOP. And what we've discovered, is that while last year we could leave the beds set up all of the time and only be in the camper for sleeping, this year, I've spent too much time putting the beds away and setting up the dinette for eating and game playing, and then putting the bed back together later, and I dislike that. If we were to go bigger, we would still forgo the bathroom option, and get a Scamp 16 layout 7, with the bunks, a side dinette and the rear dinette. Then I wouldn't have to take the beds up and down.

But, unless a larger Scamp falls in our lap, we won't get rid of our little camper, because sooner than I'd like, our kids will be grown and gone and the bunks can stay a sofa and we can lounge and eat there on a rainy day and we'll still use the campground facilities
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #93

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We have a Scamp 13 with front bunks and two kids (12 and 14) and haven't missed having a bath at all. We also come from many years of a tent camping background and are very much used to using the facilities as they exist in campgrounds. Most of our camping is done where there are no hookups and just pit toilets, although for longer trips, we add in a State Park or I find out where public showers exist so we can get a shower in every few days

This year is only our second year with our little Scamp, but it has rained on us NON STOP. And what we've discovered, is that while last year we could leave the beds set up all of the time and only be in the camper for sleeping, this year, I've spent too much time putting the beds away and setting up the dinette for eating and game playing, and then putting the bed back together later, and I dislike that. If we were to go bigger, we would still forgo the bathroom option, and get a Scamp 16 layout 7, with the bunks, a side dinette and the rear dinette. Then I wouldn't have to take the beds up and down.

But, unless a larger Scamp falls in our lap, we won't get rid of our little camper, because sooner than I'd like, our kids will be grown and gone and the bunks can stay a sofa and we can lounge and eat there on a rainy day and we'll still use the campground facilities
To me beds are generally not a problem. The table goes down, sleeping bags are layed out at bed time. Wake up time the sleeping bags are stuffed into their bags and stowed and table go back to table. A whole lot easier than putting a tent up and taking down every day and it takes less than 5 minutes each way. Last winter the trip was 90 days of changing every day.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #94

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A whole lot easier than putting a tent up and taking down every day and it takes less than 5 minutes each way. Last winter the trip was 90 days of changing every day.
Ha ha! This is 100% true! So, so much easier then the tent option, as we so quickly have forgotten! And we don't even roll our sleeping bags, simply stuff them under the dinette seat, so truly not that hard! A lovely reminder of how easy it truly is, now!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #95

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
interesting....

this has been a very interesting thread....and long to boot!

People who do what we do come with all different wants, needs and priorities. From the backpacker hitchiking by the side of the road to the guy driving a million dollar motorhome there are a thousand different criteria/steps. Maybe the hitchiker's priority is not buying gas (spend the absolute least amount of money but still "roam"). Maybe the guy in the MoHo just sold his house and wanted EVERYTHING that was in there and then some. Both of them want to do the same thing when it comes right down to it!

We heard that not having to set up a tent is real big for some...but towing a trailer, however small, might be a deal breaker for the tenter who wants to go off road, really off the beaten path with ease or maybe he just thinks towing anything is a pain or he just doesn't have a place to store a trailer.

It's really all about priorities and deal breakers in the end...

My priority was a wet bath...(having a clean bathroom to use wherever I happen to be...and having a hot shower whenever I feel like it)

My deal breaker was it had to be a single axle unit (manouverability, turning radius, weight)

and that's how I got what I got....I probably "lucked out" because even though this was first RV (with a set of wheels under it anyways) when I really think on it I would not trade it for anything bigger or smaller..."never say never" but that's the way I feel right now....Happy Motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
bath3b.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote