Do you have a built in shower - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Question Do you have a built in shower

Hello full time and extended trip folks. Do you have a built in shower? Or do you use the camp showers?

I'm a tent camper (with kids) and have always used the camp facilities, State Park or Private Camp. Checking out Scamp trailers, and I like the simple approach of no built in bathroom, but I also don't want to miss out on a possible good resource that a built in shower might provide.

As a tent camper, my first thought (with a Scamp) is to add a portable toilet (for night time convenience) and shower at camp facilities. For those times camp showers are not available, researching the 2 gallon sprayer shower.

Grateful for the knowledge in this forum - already have a lot of ideas. And I am looking down the road, when the kids are grown, going on extended trips and maybe full time RVing. So wondering about the benefits (and problems) of built in showers.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated, thanks.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
Campground showers if possible
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

North Carolina
Brent, that's what I am thinking - keep it simple in the trailer. And use campground showers.

My tent camping equipment include coolers that hold ice for multiple days. So in looking at a FGRV, will be using my (tent) camping equipment.

I like the specs on the Scamp 13 Standard, icebox, hand pump faucet. Still researching, but with my camping equipment, probably only add a battery pack and maybe the 12v water pump. That might be a nice convenience, faucets you do not pump

I am trying to have an open mind with built in showers, but I am influenced by my tent camping experience, and the up keep, maintenance and repairs on holding tanks and showers... not appealing.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
We were lifetime tent campers who converted to a small travel trailer a few years ago. We still camp, as you speak of, in much the same way, with most cooking and socializing done outside under a 12 x 12 ft canopy.

We usually use the campground facilities, but our favorite campground in the GSMNP has only toilets and cold water sinks. We have been in the habit of the cold water navy 'shower' and go once a week to a commercial campground outside the park and pay for a good hot shower.

This past year, I hooked up a shower of sorts in our Little Joe. I placed a commercial Rubber Maid buss pan on the floor in the galley and hung a shower curtain from hooks attached with Velcro to the rat fur ceiling, with the skirt hanging inside the bus pan. We then showered with a 1 gallon sprayer; wet down, wash down, rinse. We filled the sprayer with 1/2 cold and 1/2 hot water. You had to be careful not to push the curtain out of the pan, but it worked well. Hair washing was done in the same fashion, but under the awning. The pan we dumped into our grey water bucket for disposal.

We saved 10 bucks a week on showers, not to mention the time and fuel to drive 16 miles into Townsend.

We found other uses for the sprayer as well, such as rinsing washed dishes with minimal water.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With some of the campgrounds we've stayed in over the past 6 yrs, I/we (wife and I) would NOT be without our shower. Some people are content to go days with just "wiping down". So, to each his own...but again... no bathroom/shower in our RV? ....simply put- NO RV for us.

We do 90% of cooking outside.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

North Carolina
Hey Clif,

I read your thread on the sprayer shower, and appreciate the ideas you provided.

That will be my next camp project (testing), a sprayer shower

Like you, I cook outside and am comfortable (and familiar) with my camp kitchen. So not sure how much the FG Camper kitchen will be used.

Thanks again for the information on your shower set up.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
With some of the campgrounds we've stayed in over the past 6 yrs, I/we (wife and I) would NOT be without our shower. Some people are content to go days with just "wiping down". So, to each his own...but again... no bathroom/shower in our RV? ....simply put- NO RV for us.
Hey Darral,

I hear you. I am not comfortable unless I shower daily. I'm fairly active, hiking or biking trails. I need that rinse and clean at the end of the day.

And that was my interest in the built in shower. There are some nice camps without shower facilities - so I am limiting myself to camps with showers. This is OK right now, as I am accommodating kids too. But down the road, if I'm out solo - would be nice to explore and not be dependent on camp showers.

I will test the sprayer shower. Which may be the answer for me. But I am curious, do you have problems with leaks? What is the maintenance? I understand wiping down and cleaning the shower, no problem doing that - but is there other maintenance, extra work with the tanks?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Rethinking the shower...

I too am a lifetime tent camper who just purchased a 13 ft. Scamp last summer. When we were in the market, I was adamant that I did not want a bathroom. Keep the trailer light and bare bones. Less maintenance. We'll use a portapotty at night and the campground facilities the rest of the time.

This summer we went on our first semi-extended trip: 10 days. Previously we only went for 2 - 4 days. By the end of the trip, a private shower was looking mighty attractive. I didn't miss it when tent camping because it was out of the realm of possibility. However with the Scamp, there are options.

So now I am rethinking. But the maintenance scares me. Do I want to deal with hot water heaters, more plumbing tubes (and possible leaks?), cleaning, dumping gray and black water tanks, and so forth.

How much actual maintenance is there when you have a bathroom/shower on board?
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
I love my trailer shower. It is a bit tight but do able.
We just got an on demand water heater from ebay and are now waiting for a shower tent to go on sale.

We have a hose that runs from the lake almost to my Boler and I have never had to use a campground.

Im looking forward to rigging an outdoor shower, complying with Ministry regulations.
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie and Jose View Post
I too am a lifetime tent camper who just purchased a 13 ft. Scamp last summer. When we were in the market, I was adamant that I did not want a bathroom...

This summer we went on our first semi-extended trip: 10 days. Previously we only went for 2 - 4 days. By the end of the trip, a private shower was looking mighty attractive...
Julie, what was it that made a built in shower more appealing than the camp showers?

And that is my concern too, about coming from a tent camp experience - never had built in shower, so don't miss it. But I do not want to dismiss the option of a built in shower, if the benefit out ways the maintenance.

That's my current typical trip length too. The kids and I are out for 3 - 4 days. And I will be testing an outside shower tent and shower sprayer - which may be nice for extended stays (down the road) when I am solo.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've had issues but NONE with the water heater/shower. The only "maintenance" is basic clean up and dump tanks- dump tanks need to be kept THOROUGHLY clean. I rinse mine religiously and in 6 yrs..not one issue. I have a filter located on my drain pump on the shower on my Scamp. I've cleaned it once in 6 yrs. But we're NOT full timers....maybe 4 outings averaging 3 nights an excursion a year. I did add a "HottRod" to my Atwood 6 gal waterheater which makes me now ALL electric and I love it. "Plug-n-Play"...no more going outside to light it. I do keep it drained when not in use. It's good to "flush" water through it to keep it from becoming stagnant.

Scamp uses the "Shrink" fittings on their hoses which are VERY secure from leaking. So, the ONLY leak I had when I bought my Scamp new was the kitchen sink trap. I tightened the screw on the bottom about 1/4 turn and that's it.

WINTERIZING- that is the only MANDATORY maintenance issue with water/drain tanks! In my Scamp 13', I use ONE gallon of the "RV" anti-freeze (do NOT use radiator/automotive antifreeze). It's enough to push from my water tank to all of my lines (I blow them out first) so winterizing (besides dumping tanks after camping) are the most work you will do in my opinion. Here's the deal, using your water system is an option; Winterizing IS NOT!!

But with all I've said, I will NOT be without my onboard water/bathroom/shower/waterheater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Hey Darral,

I hear you. I am not comfortable unless I shower daily. I'm fairly active, hiking or biking trails. I need that rinse and clean at the end of the day.

And that was my interest in the built in shower. There are some nice camps without shower facilities - so I am limiting myself to camps with showers. This is OK right now, as I am accommodating kids too. But down the road, if I'm out solo - would be nice to explore and not be dependent on camp showers.

I will test the sprayer shower. Which may be the answer for me. But I am curious, do you have problems with leaks? What is the maintenance? I understand wiping down and cleaning the shower, no problem doing that - but is there other maintenance, extra work with the tanks?

Thanks
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We have the front bath in our 16` scamp. We use the public facilities when they are in good shape, if not, we use the the shower in the scamp. I cannot see myself carrying around a 5 gallon waste take and then dumping into the toilets, This I have seen. Also cannot see my self pulling a porta potti out of its storage place pulling up the seat and sitting it in the aisle and do my thing. I do not know what maintenance you are talking about. I like my own hot shower, it is your own choice. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We have a shower (in our 16') and would not be without the options a fully "self-contained" RV provides. That said, the shower is so small as to be unusable by me although my daughter enjoys not using the "public" facility.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #14

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
I picked up an exterior 2-room instant-up shower tent (Walmart). When I am boondocking I set it up against the side of my RV for a dressing room and shower stall. I then installed an outside shower hooked up to my interior plumbing (Amazon). It's a great set-up for 2-people. The exterior shower is also great for rinsing off rain gear, muddy boots and stinky dogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #15

North Carolina
Thanks Darral for the insight and information with your on board shower system.

Thanks all, for the information you are providing.

This is helpful and much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

Name: Moe
Trailer: In the market
Alaska
If a toilet / black water tank isn't an option, consider a c-head composting toilet. No smell, no 'slosh', no chemicals, and no blackwater tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Woodchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Thanks Darral for the insight and information with your on board shower system.

Thanks all, for the information you are providing.

This is helpful and much appreciated.
Hi: BBQdave... We have two on board showers. One inside and one outside. I've never had enough nerve to take a shower outside though and we mostly use CG. showers when available. Saves on the wet bath cleaning.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
I picked up an exterior 2-room instant-up shower tent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchick View Post
If a toilet / black water tank isn't an option, consider a c-head composting toilet. No smell, no 'slosh', no chemicals, and no blackwater tank.
Thanks Moe for the information on the outside shower setup. Ahead of Scamp 13 purchase, I will test outside shower and toilet systems.

I am currently not set up for full composting. So I like the convenience of the portable toilet. I am researching too, different liquid treatments for the portable toilet - that allow for appropriate dumping when boondocking.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Julie, what was it that made a built in shower more appealing than the camp showers?

Dave,

At some campgrounds you encounter the "ick" factor. They aren't all as clean as you would like when you go to use them. When dressing, there is limited space to put or hang things and yikes, sometimes things fall to the floor. Triple ick. Also, there are issues with water pressure and lack of hot water. (please don't flush the toilet when I am in the shower...please don't...argh!)

I have had to wait my turn. (Ever notice that some people take very long showers.)

Some places charge $$ for the shower and you have to feed in quarters for every 3 minutes (after paying $30 a night to camp!! That's nerve.)

And then there are my user errors. Once I left my glasses behind. (The camp host found me, though!) Most of the time I leave my shampoo and conditioner behind. Just annoying.

On the flip side, I don't have to clean or maintain anything.

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie and Jose View Post
I too am a lifetime tent camper who just purchased a 13 ft. Scamp last summer. When we were in the market, I was adamant that I did not want a bathroom. Keep the trailer light and bare bones. Less maintenance. We'll use a portapotty at night and the campground facilities the rest of the time.

This summer we went on our first semi-extended trip: 10 days. Previously we only went for 2 - 4 days. By the end of the trip, a private shower was looking mighty attractive. I didn't miss it when tent camping because it was out of the realm of possibility. However with the Scamp, there are options.

So now I am rethinking. But the maintenance scares me. Do I want to deal with hot water heaters, more plumbing tubes (and possible leaks?), cleaning, dumping gray and black water tanks, and so forth.

How much actual maintenance is there when you have a bathroom/shower on board?
There is very little to do to maintain a bathroom in a travel trailer. After twelve years of extensive use we have replaced the rubber gasket set in our toilet and a 12V water pump, the rest has been nothing more than keeping the system clean and fresh. The benefits FAR outweigh the cost and effort.
Going out to shower or use the toilet in the middle of the night is much more effort than staying in and experiencing the comfort and convenience of our own facilities.

The same conflict can be confronted when considering having a kitchen in a camper...
Going out to eat would save you the maintenance and expense of a stove , refrigerator,Propane, battery, electrical hookups, sink with running water and gray tank, food storage, dish washing, etc.
Do you want camp food or McDonald's?

Shivering and sweating profusely would save you the maintenance and expense of a furnace, cooling fan, and A/C.

Sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag and a pup tent would save you the maintenance and expense of a hard shell shelter, axle wheel bearings, tires,DOT lighting larger TV, etc.

Lighting and entertainment in a camper has some advantages over a simple flashlight.

My truck has roll up windows, rubber floor mats, and a manual transmission. These things give the illusion of simplicity. The fact is that the complexity and maintenance is not much diminished. If I had wanted power windows,carpeting and an automatic, the difference in comfort and convenience would have been deciding factors over any additional effort.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote