Dog fencing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Shelia
Trailer: Wannabe owner
Texas
Dog fencing

Have any of you had luck rigging up fencing for your dogs, or have you tried any commercial fences that you could recommend?

I have three small mill dogs that are runners.
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
X Pens. I full time, and my dog has more room than I do! She has her own yard and can come on go as she pleases from inside to out.

When I move, they fold flat and take very little space.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hi Gina.....

So Shiela, I don't full time but use fences for Lily. I bought 3 sets which come in 8 panels each. They are 2 foot x 2 foot which is plenty for containing Lily she would never attempt to jump over it. She slightly over a foot tall, a Poodle. So that gives me 24 panels. I separated them into:
3 - 4 panels
1 - 6 panel
1 - 2 panel

This lets me configure them however I choose for the moment, instead of always having to deal with an 8 panel set or two. You'll notice that only adds to 20 panels, the remaining panels are always left at home for blocking off the kitchen area.

Like Gina says about her baby, Lily has more room than I do but Hey, she's my priority. I like the idea that Lily can come and go as she pleases. It also a nice feeling to step out of the trailer into another room. I always have my awning out which definitely makes it feel as another room.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Texas
Love the commander - so true! Thanks for the responses. How do you secure the steps and under the trailer to keep them from escaping? A playpen would entail me picking each dog up and putting them in or out of the pen.

I looked at picketplay fence last night and like the security and human gate, but a little pricey at $600.

I contain them not only to keep them from running but to help keep them from being attacked. It won't stop every predator but may slow them down long enough for me to intervene.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
also Xpens but one of my dogs doesn't stay in one if I leave so he has to be crated if I am very far away. I'd like a better solution but have yet to find one. My other alternative is a tie-out attached to a tree or trolley wire or the trailer, but that only works with one dog- otherwise they tangle.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Shiela,
I took 3 of those little cooling racks and cut them down to the proper size height wise, that's so the door clears them. Any way, I connected them with the smallest hose clamps, there by creating a small fences which sits behind the step. I connect it to the fence and each end. I use clips the same as I use connect the fence pieces together.

I'll take a picture and post it soon.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 08-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Registry
I used a small animal fence about 11" tall to go at the base of the trailer and then I fence an area around it so we can go in and out of the trailer without leashes on the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
10626354_10100399162018221_1692557865640750718_o (1).jpg  
Old 08-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Registry
Someone awhile back mentioned sheep fencing- it's net with poles attached that go into the ground. Net wouldn't stop the dogs except it can be electrified- which you probably wouldn't have to do more than once. Her dogs knew it and would leave it alone. I have not tried it- for one thing it tends to come in 100 ft rolls- but it could be an option.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

Texas
Bobbie, how do you get out of the yard when you want to step out? Do you have to take the fence apart?
Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Registry
I either step over or just open it at one of the connecting panels. Shown is probably 3 exercise pens. I use 24" ones as two of my dogs won't jump out and the third can get out no matter how high, and with 24" pens they are lighter and I can step over.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #12

Registry
Some people put the fencing all the way around the trailer- good for hot areas so the dogs can rest under the trailer. But I don't like to carry the extra pens it would take.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
also Xpens but one of my dogs doesn't stay in one if I leave so he has to be crated if I am very far away. I'd like a better solution but have yet to find one. My other alternative is a tie-out attached to a tree or trolley wire or the trailer, but that only works with one dog- otherwise they tangle.
I use this stake with 3 dogs; bangs into the ground with a hammer easily, the dome makes it easy to pull up, and the swivel on top accomodates all 3 cable tie-outs. With the stake as the pivot point, the dogs don't get all tangled up.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/tie-outs...pfm%3Dcategory

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've also seen some clever designs with plastic lattice cut to the needed height. Here's one where there's a cutout for the trailer step:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a1b1d9d0e3.jpg

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use this stake with 3 dogs; bangs into the ground with a hammer easily, the dome makes it easy to pull up, and the swivel on top accomodates all 3 cable tie-outs. With the stake as the pivot point, the dogs don't get all tangled up.

Top Paw® Dome Stake Dog Tie-out | Tie-Outs | PetSmart
That would work with normal dogs if you have a large open area. I have one who weaves in and out compulsively (I once saw him go through the straps of a backpack that was on the ground), and one in a cart who gets tangled easily in said weavings.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #16

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Hi Gina.....

So Shiela, I don't full time but use fences for Lily. I bought 3 sets which come in 8 panels each. They are 2 foot x 2 foot which is plenty for containing Lily she would never attempt to jump over it. She slightly over a foot tall, a Poodle. So that gives me 24 panels. I separated them into:
3 - 4 panels
1 - 6 panel
1 - 2 panel

This lets me configure them however I choose for the moment, instead of always having to deal with an 8 panel set or two. You'll notice that only adds to 20 panels, the remaining panels are always left at home for blocking off the kitchen area.

Like Gina says about her baby, Lily has more room than I do but Hey, she's my priority. I like the idea that Lily can come and go as she pleases. It also a nice feeling to step out of the trailer into another room. I always have my awning out which definitely makes it feel as another room.
What brand or brands of X-pen do you have that you can separate into separate panels or groups of panels? I looked in a couple local pet stores and it didn't look like the ones they had could be separated like that. I'm considering this option and it would be really handy to not have to deal with the whole thing at once.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

Registry
You purchase the "panels" separately. The Panels are actually 4 to 6 sections. They do not come apart individually.

One of my panels has a gate, and I zip tie the panels together, since I have them up for 4-6 months at a stretch.

No particular brand, they all seem the same quality. Mine are a mixed bag, having added on over the years. They all seemed to have weathered well after almost 8 years outside.

Hi JOY! Yes, the cookie drying racks work well for blocking the underside of the trailer. I zip tie those together as well.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

Registry
BTW, I use the 36 inch tall ones. (Beagle) They now also serve as a cat yard. My cat is getting old, is very fat and he can not jump them anymore. He is a much happier camper, now that he can sit outside off leash and watch all the things scurrying by and flying overhead.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #19

The brand pens I have are Precision Pet Products. The panels are connected with a long rod and a nut on the bottom. So you can easily separate them into what ever configuration I'd like.

You can see the loop at the top of the rod where the panels are attached. The nut is on the bottom. When I separated the panels I put the rod back in place. You can see one at each end of this 2 panel set.
Attached Thumbnails
Lily's Fence.jpg  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 08-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #20

One of my 3 fence sets has two metal pieces that join the panels together. They are also Precision Pet Product but not made to take apart. I was on a trip when I decided to purchase it and then miles down the road is when I realized that the fence wasn't really made to take apart.

So if you know me, where there is a will there is a way. That's when I pried the metal pieces off, thereby separating the panels into the configuration I wanted.
2019 Ram Longhorn