Domicile Planning, Etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Carla
Trailer: Casita Liberty Delux
Illinois
Domicile Planning, Etc.

Cross threading to various forums in hopes of saving on some leg work with searches and finding the best choices for setting up our domicile. I know I'm probably asking what many have already asked...just hopeful in finding some answers to the best route to go. We are leaving early Fall full-time after the house sells.

1. Best domicile...I'm aware SD, FL, and TX are the route most go. TX is Escapees, FL Good Sam and Passport America, and SD has mail forwarding services as well. Seems many choose SD but thinking we would most likely be go through FL or TX than SD. So unsure which we want to choose. Is it worth it to join a club such as Escapees...or do the set up on your own.

2. State Tax? Knowing you don't may state tax on Social Security what about tax on private pensions...not state or federal pensions?

3. Vehicle insurance? We are leaning towards Geico and/or Progressive. Can we just change our insurance here in Illinois and then be covered when we take off no mater where we are and use online banking for the coverage charges. Or do you have to sign up and purchase through an agent in the domicle you choose?

4. Banking. We currently use local credit unions. Which bank or credit union is the best for on the road. We will need a place for savings, checkings, debit cards, online banking, and cash deposits and withdrawals. We are happy currently with CEFCU but not sure you have access to them throughout the nation like other banking institutions.

5. Health Insurance - we are covered through past employment and pension for a yearly fee. While our deductible goes up depending if we are in the PPO they allow, can't you keep your doctors in the town you are leaving. Then just come back here for medical care so you fall under your PPO? I know if we are out of state and had an emergenccy we are covered...just under a high deductible. At least we think that's how it works.

6. The order in which to more through the entire proces? As we close in on our take off this year...what steps do you do first. I would think you set up your banking... Then when you pull out do you go immediatley to the state you are going to call home. What about closing out exsisting banking, insurance, voting registration, vehicle registration, etc.

I know this is a lot of questions, put we appreciate any feedback to help us move along on this journey. Thanks!
cozygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
#2. If you're born before 1946 Michigan does not tax any pension benefits including S.S., IRA or 401K withdrawals, etc.
#3. Some companies do not write outside your state of residence (domicile) but will cove you while in another state. Best to ask each company you consider.
#4. I'd use one of the nationwide banks rather than a local
#5. You can definitely keep your home doctors unless your insurance carrier won't allow you do domicile in another state

We're not full timers but are extensive travellers country wide so have similar needs.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Full timing considerations

First Escapees has an excellent full timing forum. You do not have to be a member to read it. Most Escapees have been full timers and usually for a number of years. Escapee membership is now around 150,000, one membership per family.

1. We have kept our small home in NH, no sales tax, no income tax. We are also Escapees and have a legal address in TX should we choose to use it as our domicile state. Escapees also handle our mail forwarding and it is an excellent service. Most fulltiming Escapees use Texas as a domicile state.

In the future we may change to FL. We are on the list to own a spot at the Escapee Park (The Resort) in Fl for the days we no longer can travel extensively. Escapee parks are usually a good deal about $15 a night with full services, $11 for partial services and $5 for boondocking.

2. State Tax. NH has taxes only on dividends and interest (these days what is interest).

4. Banking. We use Bank of America. They carefully watch our credit cards, caught two fraudulent uses of our cards over the years. They are every where and on occasion that has been helpful. We are with them by default because they bought up our bank some years ago.

5. Medical Insurance. We're old enough for medicare and have a Medicare supplement that covers us when we're out of the country. We have our local doctor's phone number and email address and he has offered to help us find good service while we're traveling. Also we feel comfortable asking people, particularly at Escapee parks since many of the older couples are area familiar for medical references.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Illinois
Full timing considerations

Sounds like Escapees much the choice. I have ordered a packet from them. And I have read other posts that Bank of America a good choice. Escapees charges for parks sounds very very reasonable. While we plan to boondock on BLM most of the time, sure one day down the road their offerings sound good. Hoping we can keep our doctor or at least get help in fidning other choices on the road.

rgrvgg - thanks for tips on insurance, vehicle and medical. Helpful in starting a list when setting up for the road. Sounds like going to all come down what our medical insurance allows. One of use a couple years from Medicare so that will make it much easier.

Thanks for your input...I'm taking lots of notes... :O)
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

Florida
Carla,

If you join Escapees, they have a group run by an Escapee's member called Day's End, it cost $10 a year to join. It is a large listing of free or nearly free places to camp across the country.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carla,

If you join Escapees, they have a group run by an Escapee's member called Day's End, it cost $10 a year to join. It is a large listing of free or nearly free places to camp across the country.
Escapee's sounds to go to be true....I'll head over to the website again and check out their forum. You've been so helpful!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: Theron
Trailer: Looking!
Idaho
Quote:
Carla,

Would you say their listing is worth the $80 for access? Over some other free sites out there like: Free Campsites
tjhva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #8

Florida
Ecsapees

You can read the Escapee Forum without being a member, worthwhile to every one of us.

Escapees are the largest group of people that travel extensively. They also have an excellent magazine and a large booklet of campgrounds that provide discounts from 15 to 50% on camping fees.

It is possible to purchase a lifetime membership, wise if you are a long term planner.

Escapees have a number of coop parks where you can purchase a site for a very reasonable amount. In our case it's in FL. When we no longer want it the next person on the waiting list gets it and we get our money back. When we're traveling half the revenue from our site comes to us.

Escapees have an assisted living center in Texas: $600 a month, you stay in your RV, meals provided, clothes washed, RV taken care of, activities and trips to your doctors plus on site medical help. Perfect for recovery situations. Plus they even have a guest house so your family can visit.

Their mail service is professional, they have their own post office and zip. In 10 years they've handled our mail perfectly.

The Escapee organization fights for your RV rights. If in the area of Livingston TX visit,take the tour, visit the Care center.

To us one of the best parts are the large number of Escapees we've met who are mostly long range travelers that have been on the road for years. They provide tons of suggestions and experience.

Yes it costs us every year but we feel it's worth it particularly for the long term traveler.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree that Escapees has a lot to offer if you are really into the lifestyle. When we belonged, just as "campers", it really had no benefit. But, it just appears they cover all the bases with the different programs they have going especially if one's "exit plan" doesn't include going back into a "traditional" lifestyle. Always have an "exit plan" and, for us, we must have a place where we can return and know it will be there.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #10

Florida
Exit Plan

Cathy,
I pretty much agree with your assessment of Escapees, it's not for the weekend camper but rather the fulltime or near fulltime camper or at least the person who travels extensively.

Escapees have an excellent "exit plan" with it's various low cost solutions to being off the road. We shortly will be purchasing a site in one of their FL Escapee parks for about $10,000. After the initial purchase it's a $100 a month for the maintenance fees, covering the park, pool, library, workshop, grass cutting, internet virtually every thing except electricity.

When you're not using your lot they rent it out and you get half the money towards your monthly fees.

When you no longer want your lot, you get your $10,000 back plus the cost of any improvements you might have made to your lot.

Where can one live in a wonderful climate for $100 a month with really nice RV folks? Virtually every warm climate state has one plus Oregon and Washington.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Normally, if the state does not tax your pension, your 401 plan is also tax free. That is the way in Pennsylvania.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #12

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
As for banking, would a credit union do? Many credit unions now participate in the Credit Union Service Center system. You can check cuservicecenter.com for CU that participate and the locations of CUSC.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #13

Illinois
Progressing thru the domicile choices...

Hours on end and finally I feel I'm getting a grip on what needs to happen. Still juggling back and forth between South Dakota and Texas. Received a packet from Escapees and they offer many benefits. SD has many benefits as well. Guess the choice lies which state suits us. We are close to 11 hours from family to either TX, FL, SD.

So plan would be:
- Make final decision which state
- Obtain mail forwarding service and get the ball rolling on using the address change
- Sell the house (gearing for early June)
- Drive to that state and complete the change over for vehicle registration, DL, insurance, banking, voting...
- Then leave for the best boondocking ever!

But a couple more questions:
- HEALTH INS - We have to find out how our health insurance through the pension plays out. One thing I learned, tell them we are moving - not that we are going full-time RVing. Our understanding is when you are out of the PPO the percentage of coverages drops from 90% to 70-80% providing living out of state is ok. I sure hope this isn't a bug in our ear. And also, if we can come back to this PPO area and our doctors for anything major, are we still covered at 90%. We'll have family here for caregiving, etc. Wondering if I need to ask anything else?

- BANKING...would it be best to open an account now with a Natl Bank like BOA and move pension and SS deposits to them or keep accounts with our current credit union and just continue banking with them? I get the feeling that banking should be in the state you reside as with everything else - seems the Patroit Act can be touch and go. I sure don't want my account frozen.

- VEHICLE insurance. Should we make the move to GEICO, Progressive, Miller, etc. now. Then just have another underwriter in the state we choose when we take off, making it an easier change over instead of our local insurance company?

Again, thanks to all of you helping us get through this. We have made silly mistakes in the past and this new journey is huge. I sure hope I'm not missing anything and want to make sure we have everything covered with legalities ... all the rest will be easy. Can't believe we are almost there...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #14

Florida
Banking
We use BoA and have all our bills sent there. We pay them using there on line service. We don't keep all our money in BoA. We have pensions and SS direct deposited and deposit enough cash into our BoA savings to cover us for a year.

If we need more funds we can have it transfered to our accounts from anywhere

Insurance
We kept our insurance with our virtually life time carrier Liberty Mutual.

We have medicare and a medicare supplement for insurance. We've rarely had to use it. Our supplement covers us when out of the country. We get prescriptions by mail every 90 days usually sent to a general delivery address.

Medical. We kept our local doctor. He gave us his email address and offered to provide the name of doctors where ever we are. We arrange our schedule for a once of year exam by him. Ginny and I have the same doctor.

If you want a local address you can always use a mother or brothers or ..... We sometimes vote by absentee ballot, calling up for a form.

As to mail, the first year our son collected it and forwarded it to us via general delivery when we asked for it. As time goes on the amount of mail decreases. We get no bills by mail and have cancelled most subscriptions. We read mags at libraries on rainy days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #15

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Regarding non-medical insurance, are either of you a military veteran? Or, have a parent who is a vet?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #16

Illinois
No, we don't have vet status...covered under a union pension.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

Illinois
Quote:
Banking
We use BoA and have all our bills sent there. We pay them using there on line service. We don't keep all our money in BoA. We have pensions and SS direct deposited and deposit enough cash into our BoA savings to cover us for a year.

If we need more funds we can have it transfered to our accounts from anywhere

Insurance
We kept our insurance with our virtually life time carrier Liberty Mutual.

We have medicare and a medicare supplement for insurance. We've rarely had to use it. Our supplement covers us when out of the country. We get prescriptions by mail every 90 days usually sent to a general delivery address.

Medical. We kept our local doctor. He gave us his email address and offered to provide the name of doctors where ever we are. We arrange our schedule for a once of year exam by him. Ginny and I have the same doctor.

If you want a local address you can always use a mother or brothers or ..... We sometimes vote by absentee ballot, calling up for a form.

As to mail, the first year our son collected it and forwarded it to us via general delivery when we asked for it. As time goes on the amount of mail decreases. We get no bills by mail and have cancelled most subscriptions. We read mags at libraries on rainy days.
A good reminder to get all our subscriptions cancelled. My biggest fear is not having the entire package registered in one state...didn't think we could leave some of it in IL and the setting up the rest in a new domicile.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #18

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I asked about vet status because if you are a vet or child of a vet, you could qualify for USAA insurance which is good no matter what state you live in.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #19

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Been thinking of moving my legal residence to WA. CA taxes me all to heck every year and I'm not even there, earn no money there. No income tax in WA!

Can surely use a friends address.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #20

Florida
The Jan/Feb issue of the Escapee mag has a long article on domicile. Ask them for a sample copy

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16