Downsized for living large in small space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Downsized for living large in small space

Hi there,

I started downsizing about two months ago. Now that I have orders to transfer and also finally purchased Randy's Trillium 4500 I got serious about it.

Last weekend I finally cleared out the remains of my 5x6 storage, (I've been living in a motel room since May and in a single room studio since before then.)

Although I still have a mid size wagon's worth of things, (packed tightly.) This includes my Military gear that was issued and doesn't belong to me personally but to Uncle Sam.

Knowing that I'm going to the warm Californian desert makes it a little easier because I am not keeping most of my winter gear.

Likely my tow vehicle will be a pick up truck and that will help with holding some stuff, (since I won't want to leave it in my living space and I do not want to get a storage.)

Any advice on how to trim down the final bit? Should I really keep old paperwork that I haven't looked at in years? I'm thinking I can scrap most of it.

Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Jen, a couple things. No idea what kind of paper work you mean but as far as IRS ect, you can look on line to see how long you need to keep things on hand. You may want to also reconsider getting rid of the winter things. It gets pretty cold in the desert in the winter, no snow but...........
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Hi, Jen. Consider scanning some of that paperwork. If you don't have ready access to a scanner, there may be a local service that can do it. Just be sure to make backups!
-- Anne

PS. You can also use a smartphone with an app like TinyScan
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

California
Thank you both!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
I'm a hoarder, so not a good person to be giving anyone advice.

However, I've been advised that if I haven't wore clothing in two years..get rid of it. Do I really need to keep clothing two sizes too small? You can always buy more if necessary.

Same with paper documents (except IRS documents) If you haven't needed to view it in two years, it's unlikely you ever will. Some medical records should be kept...but the list should be small.

Good luck with your move. Thank you for your service!

Bill
Semper Fi
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I'm a hoarder, so not a good person to be giving anyone advice.

However, I've been advised that if I haven't wore clothing in two years..get rid of it. Do I really need to keep clothing two sizes too small? You can always buy more if necessary.

Same with paper documents (except IRS documents) If you haven't needed to view it in two years, it's unlikely you ever will. Some medical records should be kept...but the list should be small.

Good luck with your move. Thank you for your service!

Bill
Semper Fi
Thank you Bill,

I kept the birth certificate. !!

I read to turn all your hangers in your closet backwards and then when you use something turn the hanger normal and at the six month mark throw or give away anything that isn't turned normal unless it is a special piece.
Jen
Old 01-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Downsized for living large in small space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Thank you Bill,

I kept the birth certificate. !!

I read to turn all your hangers in your closet backwards and then when you use something turn the hanger normal and at the six month mark throw or give away anything that isn't turned normal unless it is a special piece.
Jen
Might want to wait 12 months in a location with four seasons...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Might want to wait 12 months in a location with four seasons...
That makes sense! Although I failed to mention the article said to start on January 1st. I guess that would give you a half year's worth of seasons.

Jen
Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
When we were talking about clutter my daughter said "Someone told me to hold each thing you own in your hands. If it doesn't bring you pure joy, get rid of it.
That just doesn't work for me. We would have a kitchen with no pots, dishes, or cutlery... No toilet paper, etc. and what if something doesn't bring you joy, but it does to someone else who lives there?" (This daughter just isn't interested in cooking and general housework).

Actually I have downsized a lot over the last twenty years (no kids means less stuff, of course. Some sports equipment is no longer useful to us - so we sold it. Who needs two sets of measuring spoons? 6 dozen juice glasses? Ancient paperwork and books we'll never read again?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
.....Who needs two sets of measuring spoons? 6 dozen juice glasses? Ancient paperwork and books we'll never read again?
Well, sadly it seems that my wife and I do!

We have at least 3 set of measuring spoons, and my wife just bought a real neat looking set of heavy stainless measuring spoons!

Plastic and glass drinking glasses are stored everywhere! Hey, we might need them if 100 people come for lunch tomorrow! Yeah sure!

My wife has three sewing machines as I just order her a new one for Christmas. I have auto and woodworking tools that haven't seen the light of days in years, But, sure enough if I sell or give them away...I'd need them the next day!

I'd love to get rid of most of our extra stuff...and we really have tried...but, it's hard to follow thru with the actual disposal!

Bill
Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Well, sadly it seems that my wife and I do!

We have at least 3 set of measuring spoons, and my wife just bought a real neat looking set of heavy stainless measuring spoons!

Plastic and glass drinking glasses are stored everywhere! Hey, we might need them if 100 people come for lunch tomorrow! Yeah sure!

My wife has three sewing machines as I just order her a new one for Christmas. I have auto and woodworking tools that haven't seen the light of days in years, But, sure enough if I sell or give them away...I'd need them the next day!

I'd love to get rid of most of our extra stuff...and we really have tried...but, it's hard to follow thru with the actual disposal!

Bill
I'll be driving through Oklahoma on my way to Ft. Irwin and I, um, actually have been trying to find a sewing machine for a good deal! If you both might consider it, if you are near the route I'm driving!!

Jen
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
I'll be driving through Oklahoma on my way to Ft. Irwin and I, um, actually have been trying to find a sewing machine for a good deal! If you both might consider it, if you are near the route I'm driving!!

Jen
Jen, I'm afraid she would sell one of our kids before she would part with any of her sewing stuff. She makes large quilts as a hobby and uses all three machines.

However, she recommends the less expensive of the three...the one I ordered for her for Christmas. She wanted it to sew thru the heavy cuffs of my jeans, and it does that without any problems/ She is now using the machine to make curtains for our Scamp.

It is a Singer 4423 Heavy duty sewing machine that I paid $126.76 with free shipping from Amazon. It arrived in about 5 days.

http://www.amazon.com/4423-Extra-Hig...sewing+machine

Of course,there are many sewing machines that can be purchased for much less, but, my wife has had good results with this one.

Bill
Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I came across this book at Urban Outfitters the other day and was intrigued. I think you will be too.

The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up By Marie Kondo - Urban Outfitters

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - The Japanese Art of De-cluttering and Tidying Up
Details

Product Sku: 36645786; Color Code: 000
This hardcover book about the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing is a bestseller that shares simple tips that have changed countless lives. (No, really!) If your place is a disaster area, Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo can teach you how to properly simplify and organize your home once, so you never have to do it again. With detailed guidance for determining which items in your house "spark joy" (and which don't), this book will help you clear your clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home - and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire. Published by Ten Speed Press.

Content + Care
- Imported

Size
- 224 pages
- Width: 5.20"
- Height: 7.30"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's not that hard.
If you don't care that much about it, drop it off at Goodwill.
If you care, but it serves no function, take a picture of it and save the picture.
It's how I convinced my daughter to let me toss her soccer trophies in the trash.
Don't think she's ever looked at the picture.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Size
- 224 pages
Hope you have room for the book.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Jen, I'm afraid she would sell one of our kids before she would part with any of her sewing stuff. She makes large quilts as a hobby and uses all three machines.

However, she recommends the less expensive of the three...the one I ordered for her for Christmas. She wanted it to sew thru the heavy cuffs of my jeans, and it does that without any problems/ She is now using the machine to make curtains for our Scamp.

It is a Singer 4423 Heavy duty sewing machine that I paid $126.76 with free shipping from Amazon. It arrived in about 5 days.

http://www.amazon.com/4423-Extra-Hig...sewing+machine

Of course,there are many sewing machines that can be purchased for much less, but, my wife has had good results with this one.

Bill
Oh! That is a heavy duty one for sure. I grew up into my sewing on cast iron industrial sewing machines. Looking for much lighter. I will wait, no rush at all.

Also, Gilda a few years back, (17 now,) before I was online I scoured a few libraries reading everything I could about simple living, simplistics, and living with less. I was working as a live in Nanny at the time and was down to a car load of items but, didn't have a car just then and still felt I had too much.

Fast forward these 15 years and I've completed my degrees, gone into the service and moved countless times. Picked up new hobbies and the items that go with them, built a home base of a house, married, divorced and downsized again. Right now as I am in my motel room with everything I am sure it will fit in the back of my small bed pick up but, know that I could trim a lot more!! It has grown again in the last month.<_<
Jen
Old 01-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I came across this book at Urban Outfitters the other day and was intrigued. I think you will be too.

The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up By Marie Kondo - Urban Outfitters

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - The Japanese Art of De-cluttering and Tidying Up
Details

Product Sku: 36645786; Color Code: 000
This hardcover book about the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing is a bestseller that shares simple tips that have changed countless lives. (No, really!) If your place is a disaster area, Japanese cleaning consultant Marie Kondo can teach you how to properly simplify and organize your home once, so you never have to do it again. With detailed guidance for determining which items in your house "spark joy" (and which don't), this book will help you clear your clutter and enjoy the unique magic of a tidy home - and the calm, motivated mindset it can inspire. Published by Ten Speed Press.

Content + Care
- Imported

Size
- 224 pages

Hi Gilda, I just bought this book two weeks ago and it actually works if you do it in the order that she tells you to do. Also, I've folded my clothes the way she says you should do it and all of a sudden, I have tons of space in my drawers but you have to start with you're clothes first, then books.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Bingo! I'm glad to hear the "Tidying" book has worked for some of you. I borrowed my copy from the library, read it in one day, jotted down the "highlighted" tips, returned the book and got working. I was truly amazed at how motivating this book was for me! I have read every organizing book, magazine and online article on the subject. None resonated like this book! I was quite impressed about how much I enjoy having my tee shirts folded in my drawer. I said "goodbye" to my work clothes (I have been retired for 4 years now and wear few of those pieces)

Frankly papers have always been my difficulty. Here are four basic questions regarding paper clutter that I have found useful.
  • Is there a specific circumstance where this information would be useful again (as opposed to a vague sense of 'I might need it later')?
  • How hard would it be for me to get this information again if I ever did need it?
  • How resent and up to date is this information?
  • Is it actually worth my time to file this piece of paper and have to deal with it again?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #19

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
There is a new one "Sparks Joy" that actually is more helpful to me

Round Two
Wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags