They might use it to build highways.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Inspections in the Northeast started way back in the last century as emissions inspections. Now the percentage of cars that fail emissions is nearly zero and has been for some time. Of course the testing stations don't want to give it up. .
They gave up emissions inspections here a couple of years back as it was not cost effective to be running the stations with so few emissions failures.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wouldn't want to pay taxes.
Or maintain a state park - Wouldn't want that now would we

Be thinks Glenn that you and I are so use to paying high taxes on everything the concept of thinking you can live without paying any is some what foreign.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #18

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Or buy fuel for the jets flying over Deception Pass all day and night.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Sorry Raz, vehicle inspections is just another form of taxation. No real value except to government and service stations.
I can't agree with you here. I have lived in CA and VA, and VA requires a once a year inspection on the car and pollution equipment, CA only the pollution equipment. To paraphrase a fellow who did odd jobs for me around the CA home, 'why heck I couldn't drive my car half the time'. What I've found is that if you keep your car in good repair the inspection is no bother. But for the folks that either don't care or can't afford safety repairs I'm happy to pay my $15 to keep them off the road or find a way to make the repair. It's far better than being hurt or killed. I learned a lesson recently myself. I purchased Michelin tires six years ago and the sidewalks and tread looked great. I was driving all over the place 60 to 70 mph. I stopped at Costco to ask them to check my tire pressure before traveling. The tech informed me that my tires were dry rotted. There were cracks between the adequate treads and it never occurred to me to look there. I've been driving 50 years and never knew that the rot could be there, i thought it only occurred on the side wall. I also found out that the tires that I bought in '09 were two years old when I purchased them - at that time checking the manufacture date was not so much on the radar screen. The older dog keeps learning and I love it!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
After you pay $50 (not $15) to have a sticker put on a brand new car or fail because it's too cold for the tpms system to work or have to pay $200 to have the tpms sensor inside the tire replaced (because the battery died) so you can then get your $50 sticker, you start to think Byron has a point. On the positive side because my trailer is small, I no longer have to pay someone $50 a year to tell me my lights work. Progress! Raz
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I live in New York...I must have my motorized vehicles inspected every year for safety and pollution equipment....then I have to hitch up my travel trailer and drive it in for inspection....all they do is confirm that my brake lights , running light and directional signals work....collect my money and give me a sticker...takes about half a day all totaled. Back when I lived in Connecticut you only had to have your travel trailer inspected once and they at least checked your trailer brakes! After your initial inspection on first registration you never had to have your travel trailer inspected. Connecticut did however tax your travel trailer just like your real estate...heavily!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Norm & Ginny, I just assumed you had to be full timers...always on the go and so knowledgeable about all things RV, from mail services to inside info on just about any destination.

When ever we return to home base I immediately start to plan our next adventure (right after we cut the lawns). No matter where we go I try to limit daily drive time to under 250 miles. I have a very bad back and long term driving causes me some extreme pain....even 250 miles is pushing the limit!
Getting there is often more than half the fun. I like to avoid the interstate highways and take the scenic routes whenever possible!

Leaving for the coast of Maine in about a week.

Happy Camping!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I've contemplated full timing and got info from Escapee's. I thought if I make the move I'll disregard them as far as Texas goes. I read something about a periodic vehicle inspection, I believe every couple of years.

That made me think that I'd have to be in or near Texas. That might not work out because I certainly would not want to be on some sort of a schedule. The only schedule I'd choose would be a ferry from here to there. Or, there to here.

I believe the original question was about a Driver's License. Well, you'd get that from what ever State you choose for your domicile/address.

I'd probably go with South Dakota.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Norm & Ginny, I just assumed you had to be full timers...always on the go and so knowledgeable about all things RV, from mail services to inside info on just about any destination.

When ever we return to home base I immediately start to plan our next adventure (right after we cut the lawns). No matter where we go I try to limit daily drive time to under 250 miles. I have a very bad back and long term driving causes me some extreme pain....even 250 miles is pushing the limit!
Getting there is often more than half the fun. I like to avoid the interstate highways and take the scenic routes whenever possible!
Patrick, I guess the amount of traveling we do and the length of time we're on the road suggests we're full timers; we've made 5-6 loops of the USA.

On one 8 month loop we averaged only 35 towing miles a day. Our general rule of thumb is no more than 150 miles of driving a day. I will say when we head up to Sunset Point in mid-August (we've ordered the lobsters already), we will drive about 250 miles in one day. We are avoiding driving up or back on weekends.

Like you we do like the ride and do avoid the Interstate except when there's no choice and generally in the northeast we just want to get through it, especially in NJ, lower NY, CT and MA.

We have a reputation as extremely slow travelers, our first 'fulltiming' trip was to FL. It took us 18 weeks to get to FL from NH.

Safe travels, Patrick.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #25

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
I'm going to bump this thread, (as I'm reading to preparing for launching into full timing at the beginning of winter now.)

My vehicle plates are from Alaska, (and about to renew,) My drivers license is from Texas, (and good for a few years.) However, now I live in Tennessee and am about to purchase a trailer.

I have a PO box for my mail and due to my job and allowed to have multiple addresses. Although I do not live in Texas or Alaska anymore and do not have a hard address home.

Looks like I need to figure this one out.

Jen
p.s. if I am gone from the forums for a couple weeks its because I'll be in the mountains visiting friends.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #26

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Wouldn't want to pay taxes.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... It's legal to avoid paying taxes... but illegal to evade paying them!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A totally legal way to have a license and to be able to vote is to become an Escapee. As an Escapee you can have a legal address in Texas. Check Escapees.com .

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
I can't agree with you here. I have lived in CA and VA, and VA requires a once a year inspection on the car and pollution equipment, CA only the pollution equipment. To paraphrase a fellow who did odd jobs for me around the CA home, 'why heck I couldn't drive my car half the time'. What I've found is that if you keep your car in good repair the inspection is no bother. But for the folks that either don't care or can't afford safety repairs I'm happy to pay my $15 to keep them off the road or find a way to make the repair. It's far better than being hurt or killed. I learned a lesson recently myself. I purchased Michelin tires six years ago and the sidewalks and tread looked great. I was driving all over the place 60 to 70 mph. I stopped at Costco to ask them to check my tire pressure before traveling. The tech informed me that my tires were dry rotted. There were cracks between the adequate treads and it never occurred to me to look there. I've been driving 50 years and never knew that the rot could be there, i thought it only occurred on the side wall. I also found out that the tires that I bought in '09 were two years old when I purchased them - at that time checking the manufacture date was not so much on the radar screen. The older dog keeps learning and I love it!
The fact has been established over and over again in study after study over 4-5 decades, that car and light truck safety inspection has no impact on road safety. It is at best a placebo for hand wringers and at worst a nuisance and a waste of money better spent elsewhere.
It might help to to keep those Michelins off the sidewalks though, especially at those speeds!
Fortunately most dogs never get old enough to get a driver's license anyway.

Tags
license