Driver's license with no permanent home. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's old information Byron. "The department was created as a branch of the Highway Department in 1921. The 1989 Legislature created a separate Parks and Recreation Department, effective in 1990." As found here at the bottom of the page: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department About Us
OK I stand corrected.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I wonder how that case came out?
As far as i know the case is still pending. But the law of unintended consequences already showed up. The inspection rate at the place I go to went up from $40 to $50 because of an increase in insurance rates. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #43

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would read all I could in regards to what the rules are in the State you have/will declare as your residence for your drivers licence, as well as your auto insurance and plates.

For example here in BC Canada if you declare it as your address you have 90 days to switch your Drivers licence - after that your old drivers licence is deemed invalid. ....

As I said I would read the rules and regulations very carefully for what ever state I was declaring as my home address.
Thank you Carol, I want to be safe on this.

Although I am active duty military and this might be the one exception. My nursing license, auto plates and vehicle license as well as the state I claim for taxes are each from a different state based on where I was stationed at the time. Currently my address is a PO box in yet, another state.

Maybe this will be the exception? Although I need to update my drivers license address though.

Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
As far as i know the case is still pending. But the law of unintended consequences already showed up. The inspection rate at the place I go to went up from $40 to $50 because of an increase in insurance rates. Raz
Maybe this post will be considered political but many of you probably have Chevy Trucks where rusty brake lines are common. Our son had a relatively new Chevy truck with this problem.

I went behind the sensationalism of the headlines posted. Mr. Ibey's wife died in the crash, he owned the car. He had been told about the need to repair the brake lines. The state does not know if the brake line burst before or during the accident.

Ibey, 8 days before the mechanic's inspection the car in question had recently had a 27 point inspection at a Chevy dealership and as a result had brake work done but not brake line repair.

The charged mechanic had recommended the brake lines be repaired and the owner allowed him to replace one leaky line.

The inspection law requires inspection failure of rusty brake lines. Most mechanics say rust is common on the majority of VT brake lines. "This is true except for cars with coated brake lines, such as Volvos (and Hondas), he said."

Comments by Vermont readers are Interesting.

1. “Being arrested for manslaughter is absolutely ridiculous in this case…”

Seconded. I burst two brake lines on a vehicle that had passed inspection. Fortunately, it happened right in my driveway. After that, I replaced all the brake lines on the vehicle at a substantial cost.

It’s nearly impossible for mechanics to perform other than a cursory inspection of a vehicle’s brake lines (since they travel across and through the frame up to the master cylinder/booster. Even with an inspection, lines tend to rust at different rates depending on their location on the vehicle. Adding that different vehicle manufacturers brake lines rust at different rates, and that some vehicles have chronic brake line rusting problems, and you have a set of conditions that auto mechanics cannot accurately divine, visually.

FWIW, GM recently narrowly dodged a 2 million vehicle recall on two million trucks due to rusty brake lines.“Why are vehicles with brake lines that can rust not being recalled????????”

2. Sounds to me like Donald Ibey should shoulder some of the blame.

3. “Why are vehicles with brake lines that can rust not being recalled????????”

Probably because it means recalling almost every vehicle currently on the highways! Vehicles and their ‘pieces parts’ have been rusting since the automobile was first invented. Cars today, are better protected against rust than vehicles built just a couple decades ago. EXCEPT, we are learning of many problems associated with accelerated corrosion in the undercarriage which includes brake linings!

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Thanks but the context of my post implies that I really didn't want to know!

Of course I get your point, and it is well made.

Seriously, I have a vested interest in my own safety and the safety of my family and community just as everyone else has. Why would I want to waste $50 to have someone less competent sell me a magic sticker talisman of protection?
Without such a law it would likely be a free service ( or a small fee) offered by any competent repair shop seeking the business of those who lack the skills necessary to do it for themselves.

http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/s...668/155223.uts

40% of highway fatalities are proven to be alcohol related and we actually have drive-up liquor stores and C-stores in gas stations selling single serving containers to go! Most drivers drive under the influence regularly, many every night during rush hour.
A breathalyzer in every car would make more sense than mechanical inspection yet nobody (including me) advocates for that.

It does seem as though auto license and inspection laws would be important considerations when choosing a state of residence.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #46

Florida
Quote:
:

It does seem as though auto license and inspection laws would be important considerations when choosing a state of residence.
I suspect your quoted statement is 'Floyd sarcasm'.

However, the laws passed by a state government, the amount of money legislators are paid, the student's SAT scores, are all measures one might consider.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #47

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "Most drivers drive under the influence regularly, many every night during rush hour".

I think that statement is a bit exaggerated. Here is a clip from a post of a CHP DUI checkpoint in Santa Barbara, CA, and their findings don't reflect "most". Many other similar reports are also posted on-line.

Source: California Highway Patrol
"The California Highway Patrol (CHP) conducted a sobriety/driver license checkpoint on, August 31, 2015, from 9:15 p.m. to 3:15 a.m. on Chapala Street between Gutierrez Street and Haley Street. As a result of the checkpoint the following enforcement action was taken:
550 vehicles passed through the checkpoint and 377 were screened. Out of the 377 screened the CHP conducted 19 sobriety tests. Six DUI arrest were made from the checkpoint."

https://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=157804

I agree that DUI is a major problem, and contributes to a huge percentage of accidents and deaths, but to indict "Most drivers" of DUI is inaccurate and unfair to the almost 99% of us that abide by the law.

More typical numbers: DUI checkpoint results for May 1 - Story | Central California - Kern County, Bakersfield, Taft, Lake Isabella, Delano, Tehachapi | KernGoldenEmpire | KGET TV 17 and CW12

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: "Most drivers drive under the influence regularly, many every night during rush hour".

I think that statement is a bit exaggerated. Here is a clip from a post of a CHP DUI checkpoint in Santa Barbara, CA, and their findings don't reflect "most". Many other similar reports are also posted on-line.

Source: California Highway Patrol
"The California Highway Patrol (CHP) conducted a sobriety/driver license checkpoint on, August 31, 2015, from 9:15 p.m. to 3:15 a.m. on Chapala Street between Gutierrez Street and Haley Street. As a result of the checkpoint the following enforcement action was taken:
550 vehicles passed through the checkpoint and 377 were screened. Out of the 377 screened the CHP conducted 19 sobriety tests. Six DUI arrest were made from the checkpoint."

https://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=157804

I agree that DUI is a major problem, and contributes to a huge percentage of accidents and deaths, but to indict "Most drivers" of DUI is inaccurate and unfair to the almost 99% of us that abide by the law.

More typical numbers: DUI checkpoint results for May 1 - Story | Central California - Kern County, Bakersfield, Taft, Lake Isabella, Delano, Tehachapi | KernGoldenEmpire | KGET TV 17 and CW12
By "regularly" I meant at least once a month.
By many ... well, the one third of those tested to which you refer will suffice to count for many. A "couple" of beers on the way home from work is drunk driving.
The percentage would go way down if I had said most drivers are arrested (indicted?) regularly. I, of course said no such thing.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #49

Per Post #47

In California, in a recent 10 year period, the number drivers, per 100,000, arrested for DUI has been between 712 and 906, or all less than 1%, with the lowest year being, 2012

Source: Page 5, Top. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...1-257029275629

Old 10-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Per Post #47

In California, in a recent 10 year period, the number drivers, per 100,000, arrested for DUI has been between 712 and 906, or all less than 1%, with the lowest year being, 2012

Source: Page 5, Top. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...1-257029275629
Sounds about right...And you think they caught them all, or even a significant percentage?
Let's take a ride around town at closing time or after a proffessional sporting event. I just went to a "class" reunion recently...About one percent left there sober, and that's a bunch of old folks!
Only a teetotaler really notices it.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #51

Quote:
By "regularly" I meant at least once a month.
By many ... well, the one third of those tested to which you refer will suffice to count for many. A couple of beers on the way home from work is drunk driving.
The percentage would go way down if I had said most drivers are arrested (indicted?) regularly. I, of course said no such thing.

For an adult, DUI is defined in all 50 states as having a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) level of .08, usually (except for the smallest females) not achieved with 2 beers. Here's a chart:
Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) | Clemson University, South Carolina

However, "Driving while impaired" can apply to those that exhibit DUI behavior with a BAC of less than .08.

But, if someone wants to make up their own rules...........

Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #52

Registry
Quote:
For an adult, DUI is defined in all 50 states as having a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) level of .08, usually (except for the smallest females) not achieved with 2 beers. Here's a chart:
Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) | Clemson University, South Carolina

However, "Driving while impaired" can apply to those that exhibit DUI behavior with a BAC of less than .08.

But, if someone wants to make up their own rules...........
And a "couple" is seldom just two!!
I don't make the rules, just observations.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #53

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I suspect your quoted statement is 'Floyd sarcasm'.
Not really...I wouldn't want to be wintering in southern Texas with an expired safety talisman on the windshield. It would be inconvenient (and unsafe?) to drive thousands of miles to get a new one to protect me.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #54

Florida
The 1% is dangerous. Based upon the 'realness' of the 1%, they commit 31% of all traffic fatilities.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #55

I agree 100%, but that is a lot less than the number of miscreants that was suggested. But, the bigger problem has become what happens after a DUI arrest, often very little.

Last year Judy and I combed through public records in WA to help a friend that was dating a person with a Breathalyzer on his car. He claimed, "I always got caught every time I had a couple of beer" and admitted to her to having two DUI's in 8 years

The truth, according to court records: He had 5 DUI's in 8 years, had served time in jail for DUI, was fired by Boeing for being under the influence at work and owed over two years income in fines. One DUI was garnered before a previous one was adjudicated, earning him a free trip to the Pierce County Cross-Bar Hotel for a few months of free "roof and three squares".

And still he can drive and has been known to have his G.F blow into the Breathalyzer tube so he could start his car to get home from the local watering hole 2-3 nights a week.

And, therein, I think, lies a textbook case of the problem in dealing with DUI's.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #56

Florida
In 2012, 29 million people admitted to driving drunk at least once, well more than 1%, particularly when you consider the percentage of people not old enough to drive.

How many can say they've never driven after drinking more than a couple of drinks?

Good for you if you can.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In 2012, 29 million people admitted to driving drunk at least once, well more than 1%, particularly when you consider the percentage of people not old enough to drive.

How many can say they've never driven after drinking more than a couple of drinks?

Good for you if you can.
I can, but then I've been a teetotaler all my life.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #58

Norm, what's your source for that 29 million number. I did some searching and the numbers and methodology are all over the board, depending on the sites agenda?

This is a good example of misleading information: Government Study: 1 In 12 Drivers Admit Driving Drunk | Driver Risk Management Solutions | AlertDriving

Old 10-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Norm, what's your source for that 29 million number. I did some searching and the numbers and methodology are all over the board, depending on the sites agenda?

This is a good example of misleading information: Government Study: 1 In 12 Drivers Admit Driving Drunk | Driver Risk Management Solutions | AlertDriving
Thanks for showing the link Bob,even though it does not support your argument.
Don't forget... "One can always shop the internet for the answers they want to find"...

Beer sales in the US ... 6,200,000,000 gallons
Wine sales in the US.... 3,960,000,000 bottles
Whiskey and other distilled spirits...???
All that and almost nobody ever drives drunk, we're doin' pretty good!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #60

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I bought a car in North Dakota (I was in the Army) and registered and paid Iowa tax on it. Iowa Wavered the inspection.

When I went to Texas with the Iowa Tags, I got a Texas inspection.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license