Establishing an RV Home Base - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?m=2&p=460
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Pete, Thanks for posting the link. I ordered the book and have ordered from this company before with great success.

Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #3

The book came today and was seriously skimpy and disappointing. I only mention this to perhaps save someone else the trouble of ordering it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

That's sad Any chance of complaining to the RV bookstore?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well that's too bad. I agree with Pete, complain if you can... any chance of giving the book a review like is done on Amazon?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #6

I decided to take advantage of their return policy so the book is on its way back. They do not refund shipping & handling, but that is a lot less than the $12.95 the book cost. Couldn't find a place to offer a review, but the book mostly consisted of information about where to contact the state tax departments which is readily available on the internet. They also listed vehicle licensing requirements and fees which is also available online. After glancing through the information, I decided it would be really nice if there were not 50 different tax structures in these United States!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
After glancing through the information, I decided it would be really nice if there were not 50 different tax structures in these United States!
Actually, there AREN'T 50 different tax structures in the US. You left out District of Columbia, Guam, Micronesia, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and maybe more?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have been considering where would be the best place for me to set up my Domicile when I retire. It seems the best three places for income tax reasons are: Texas, Florida, South Dakota.

This was put together, and I thought it may help others in their consideration.

<blockquote>Partial Tax Comparison from Retirement Living - Texas & South Dakota: http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

TEXAS
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 6.25% (food, prescription and non-prescription drugs exempt); local option taxes can raise the rate to 8.25%.
Gasoline Tax: 20 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: 20 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $1.41 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
No state personal income tax
Retirement Income: Not taxed.

Property Taxes
Property tax is imposed by local taxing units. For homeowners 65 and older, $10,000 (in addition to the regular $15,000 homestead exemption) of the property's assessed value is exempt from school taxes and $3,000 is exempt from other local taxes. Once an over-65 homeowner qualifies for an over-65 homestead exemption for school taxes, that owner gets a tax ceiling for that home on school taxes. If the homeowner improves the home (other than normal repairs or maintenance), the tax ceiling is adjusted for the new additions. School district taxes are frozen for seniors (65 and older) and disabled persons at the level imposed on the residence the first year that the taxpayer qualified for the residence exemption. Counties, cities, towns, and junior college districts are permitted to establish a tax freeze on homesteads of those age 65 and older or disabled. For more information on exemptions, click here.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
There is no inheritance and the estate tax is limited and related to federal estate tax collection.

For further information, visit the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts site or call the appropriate office using telephone numbers found on the site..

SOUTH DAKOTA
Sales Taxes
State Sales Tax: 4% (prescription drugs exempt); municipalities may add up to an additional 2%. Residents who are age 65 and older and have a yearly income of under $9,750 (single) or in a household where the total income was under $12,750 are eligible for a sales tax refund.
Gasoline Tax: :* 24 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: * 24 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $1.53 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
No state personal income tax
Retirement Income: Not taxed.

Property Taxes
Property is assessed at 85% of market value between counties. Assessors determine the market value of property by using a combination of the following three approaches: (1) Cost approach whereby the assessor estimates the cost of replacing the property (structures), reduces that amount by its age (depreciation) and adds the value of the land. (2) Market approach whereby the assessor compares the subject property to like properties that have recently been sold. (3) Income approach in whereby the assessor uses the value of the projected income from a property to determine its value.

Property taxes are assessed and collected by local government entities. A tax freeze and/or municipal property tax reduction is available for seniors age 65 and older, and disabled persons. Single homeowners 66 and older who earn $10,000 or less can get a refund of up to 35% of taxes paid. Multi-person households headed by someone 66 and older, where the combined income is $13,000 or less, are eligible for a refund of up to 55% of taxes paid. The state has several other property tax relief programs. For details, click here.

There is a property tax exemption for disabled veterans. Veterans that have been rated as permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service connected disability may be eligible for up to $100,000 of their property value to be exempt from property taxes. Click here for details.

The state has a property tax homestead exemption that delays payment of property taxes until the property is sold. Taxes are a lien on the property and must be paid along with interest before the property can be transferred.

For more information on all property taxes, call 800-829-9188.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
There is no inheritance tax and the estate tax is limited and related to federal estate tax collection.

For further information, visit the South Dakota Department of Revenue site or call 800-829-9188.
* Tax rates to do not include local option tax of 1 cent.

</blockquote>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Washington has no income tax . . yet. Of course, sales taxes, gas tax, property tax, etc. would be adjusted to make up the difference.

Oregon has an income tax, but an arcane formula for taxing retirees. Last time I checked, the yearly rate for me would be less than a tank of gas.

There is something about setting up a corporation in Montana to provide an RV for your use and thus avoid high taxes in your home state.

For me, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. My old Scamp has negligible value, as does my tow vehicle. It is unlikely that tax structure differences from state to state would make or break the bank for me.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have been reading some of the information on best places to set up a Domicile for Fulltimers. I ran across an article from a guy that teaches a course on the subject. He covers these points:
  • Texas - Home Of Escapees RV Club
  • No State Income Tax
  • No State Tax On Retirement Income
  • State Sales Tax 6.25%
  • Local Government Taxes Up To 2%
  • Low Vehicle Registration Fees
  • Low Vehicle Insurance Rates
  • Register & Renew By Mail
  • Renew Drivers License By Mail
  • Register & Vote By Mail
  • Vehicle Safety Inspection Required Within 10 Days Of Entering State
  • Vehicle Emissions Test Required in only 4 Counties
For each person though it can be different. RVers that have the huge Buldge mobiles South Dakota seems better.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Washington has no income tax . . yet. Of course, sales taxes, gas tax, property tax, etc. would be adjusted to make up the difference.
If one lives on the road and only rarely returns to domicile state, the taxes mentioned don't make a difference unless one wants to buy a new RV or tow vehicle.

As usual, each person has to look at his/her own circumstances to evaluate the best mix.