20 feet 148.50
21 feet 155.25
22 feet 162.00
23 feet 168.75
24 feet 175.50
25 feet 182.25
26 feet 189.00
27 feet 195.75

And if you continue to want your DateWeekend plate... that's an additional $40 for two years.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
If you are a Fulltimer, by definition you are traveling somewhere. I like both New Mexico & Oregon, but...
How would you handle your Mail in the state you are recommending as your Domicile?
You'd be surprised how many folks don't understand the concept that fulltimers aren't anywhere, they are everywhere, so except for truck/trailer replacement, don't care about sales tax or property tax.

If you are domiciled in SD, you set up with someone like Alternative Resources (they are just one, there are others). If you are in TX, you set up with Escapees. If you are in WA, FL, etc., you do more of your own legwork and set up with UPS Store (aka MailBoxes Etc) or something like that.

http://www.alternativeresources.net/

http://www.escapees.com/index2.asp

http://upsstore.com/products/maiandpos.html

Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Truck and RV Insurance

For what its worth here are the compare & contrast quotes I received for our Truck and RV Insurance.
  • Texas = $1,765/yr.
  • California = $1,564/yr.
  • South Dakota = $1,342/yr.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
Thanks for all the replies and links.
Am currently an escapee, have talked to several people
in some of the parks I've been in that say I could save
money by moving my domicile to New Mexico.
Escapees is working so not in a hurry to change, but,
saving money is always good.

Thanks,
DanM
Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #20

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Unhappy

Quote:
What about establishing domicile in New Mexico?
Most people disregaurd New Mexico because of state income tax.
That isn't a problem for me, but, finding pros and cons on
New Mexico is, (except for state income tax).
I have been in New Mexico for a couple of months and like it
here. Am thinking truck insurance and vehicle fees might be
cheaper here, but, not sure.

The sunrises and sunsets here still take my breathe away.

DanM
If your pensions, annuities, wages are from another state, these can be deducted from the state income tax in NM. Mine can not being it is from the state of NM.

Camping Annual Permit (valid 12 months from month of purchase) **It is my understanding the permit get you in but does not cover electrical, etc. the basic Developed site @ $10 a nite rate. Therefore, electric would be $4 extra, etc. AW

New Mexico resident
$180

Senior New Mexico resident age 62 and over
$100

Disabled New Mexico resident
$100

Out-of-state resident
$225

Replacement
$10

Notes: Annual camping permits may be purchased at any state park or at the division's Santa Fe office.

Overnight Camping (per vehicle, per night)

Primitive site
$8
Notes: Primitive campsites offer no special facilities except a cleared area for camping. Sites may include trash cans, chemical toilets or parking. Developed sites offer additional facilities such as electric and sewage hookups.

Developed site
$10

Developed site with electric hookup
$14

Developed site with sewage hookup
$14

Developed site with electric and sewage hookups
$18

Electric hookup with annual camping permit
$4

Sewage hookup with annual camping permit
$4

Electric and sewage hookup with annual
camping permit
$8

Water hookup (where available)
No charge

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft
Thanks for the info. Am currently making my way across the state
staying in a campground for one month and seeing the local sites,
then moving to another town for a month.
May try staying in the state parks and also in BLM land this
summer.
DanM
Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
Hi there,

we are now back on the road after living in Philadelphia for 14 months taking care of my parents. Since our 17 SD Casita "Kat" is our only "home" we have used myhomeaddress.com in South Dakota as our mailing and legal address since July of 2005.

In South Dakota a PMB is a legal address for registering autos, getting a driver's license, voting, etc.

I just voted by absentee ballot in the democratic primary.

There are some county differences as to voting requirements (some require at least one night's stay in SD)and there is some sort of axle tax in some counties.

Remember, as others have said, your legal address is also a matter of intent. I have all my banking, and other finances in SD. I vote in SD, my van and casita are registered in SD.

When i work in other states I am only a temporary resident. YES I do pay state and local taxes on that income, and if the State taxes my meager public school teacher pension, I must pay on it too. I try to never work in a State which will tax my pension and there are plenty that don't or that exclude some of it (from $2000 to some states like PA which excludes $60000 I think). Not sure since that is almost double the exclusion i need.

Anyway, we are at www.meadow-vale.com for most of the summer. Stop by if you are in the area!!

Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in late July
Canada (Ontario) two weeks in late August
Leaving here in October and heading South and west after Columbus day weekend in Hickory Run State Park PA

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Lightbulb

I'm a federal retiree living in Oregon. Because of a lawsuit filed a few years ago Federal retirees receive an additional deduction for state taxes. I have paid no state taxes in Oregon since retirement. Some of you might meet this same exculsion.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #24

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Something else to consider when selecting a Florida "residence" location is motor vehicle emission inspection. It is not a big deal if you are living in a fixed location, but if it comes due when you are not there you may have a problem renewing your plates. Plates expire on your birthday so you have no choice of when this occurs. Six of the 67 counties had inspection when I left Florida 8 years ago. There may be more now.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #25

Indeed, that's true.

Also location specific is insurance; clearly, automobile insurance is going to cost more in Miami than in W. Podunk in the Panhandle, so doing the homework will save $$ and fuss in the long run.

Also, even esoteric things like the local taxes on you cell phone can be avoided. Years back, my Sprint zip code was derived from a small city ten miles away, so a city in which I didn't live and in which my Sprint phone didn't even work, was taxing me...

http://www.yald.com/state-cell-phone-taxes-list

That list is old (2005), but know that many cities tax cell phones. In some cases, it's not by domicile or mail address but by where one signed up for the service, so one has some control over this. Boondock town in boondock county with UPS Store is what one is searching for -- You're not going to actually live there...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #26

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Something else to consider when selecting a Florida "residence" location is motor vehicle emission inspection. It is not a big deal if you are living in a fixed location, but if it comes due when you are not there you may have a problem renewing your plates. Plates expire on your birthday so you have no choice of when this occurs. Six of the 67 counties had inspection when I left Florida 8 years ago. There may be more now.
We have lived in Sarasota Florida for 6 years and it amazes me that there is NO auto inspection of any kind and wondering if that has changed from when you were here. Senior residents (65) do fish for free and use the State campgrounds for half price, however health ins very high as is home ins and auto is not cheap
Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #27

A lot depends on the weather system. Tampa often gets inversion, so likely they still have it there.

Siesta Key beach has some actual rocks and stuf close to the beach for little pretty fish and snorkeling.