Extended Wi-Fi - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The problem with all these gadgets that increase your reception and speed is that they also take away bandwidth from everyone else's enjoyment. At a recent stay at a cg with free internet and numerous repeaters the ability to use the internet was greatly diminished as a result of one person who had set up some sort of amateur radio antenna. In addition there were several other electrical gadgets on this person's roof. Due to the complaints by the other campers, the management asked this person to either leave or stop using up all the bandwidth. The next day, after departure, the cg internet was back to normal.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It is rare for me to be in a campground with wifi, but if I am I do like to take advantage of it, mostly for trip planning and catching up on stuff without using up the data package on my phone. It seems often that the short time I want to be online, that the wifi reception is really crappy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For us electronic communication is absolutely mandatory, for banking if nothing else.

Usually the biggest load is during the evening is people using movie services like Netflix.

Campground wi-fi varies widely in quality. Only one campground did not have wi-fi during our trip to and in Newfoundland. it's rare to have full campground coverage though a few did. In the Provincial parks it was only available around the offices.

In the states we have a wi-fi hot spot so that really covers our needs. Remarkeably the Verizon data coverage is almost everywhere. While in Canada I read that Verizon may buy a Canadian cell company which would be great.

We stayed a couple of Texas state parks last year with whole park coverage. I thought that was pretty impressive for a state park.

Also the addition of smart phones and their data packages almost negates the need for a computer and in a sense wi-fi. Really the phone does as much if not more than the computer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #24

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
If I'm going to be doing something like remote desktop access, I'll find a coffee shop or something with a GOOD solid connection. CG stuff seems fine for "casual" browsing and emails, not so much for bandwidth intensive interaction.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #25

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
So you are saying that all things being equal, an omni and a directional will be able to get the same gain? I was under the impression that the design of directional antennas gave them a gain advantage in a specific direction (ignoring "lobes").
If the gain number is the same, the performance should be the same if there are no interfering signals. However manufacturer lie about gain. Some measure if from a theoretical point source which does not exist. Others measure it from a 1/2 wave length dipole --the simplest antenna.

dBi means measured from the theoretical point source. Actual gain compared to a dipole would be less. dBi is an inflated number. I forgot how much. Perhaps 1 dB.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #26

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Thanks for that input, Conrad. It explains a lot.

You mention an amplifier would improve the performance, is it or anything else other than the antenna needed? Or, does your devices wifi connection just pick up off the antenna itself?
You can get by without an amplifier but you would then need RF cable to connect to an access point.

I use an Ubiquity Bullet. It combines the access point with a 1 watt amplifier. I am not sure if they sell these any more. It is an access point with Ethernet wired connection for your computer and an N connector (low loss connector) used for this antennas frequency band. Power is supplied over the Ethernet wires. It can use AC power with its included power supply or it can run on anything between 9 and 24v. I cut the adapter off and use 12V. It also has LED lights to show connectivity and signal strength and can be used outdoors.

I connect it to my laptop but it could also be connected to a WiFi hub such that you could create your own hotspot to the campground or other link. This is what I plan to do at some point ,but since it is just me, I just use the Ethernet connection on my MacBook Pro which means I can't move around with my laptop.

The Bullet is programmed with HTML just like most routers.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #27

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The problem with all these gadgets that increase your reception and speed is that they also take away bandwidth from everyone else's enjoyment. At a recent stay at a cg with free internet and numerous repeaters the ability to use the internet was greatly diminished as a result of one person who had set up some sort of amateur radio antenna. In addition there were several other electrical gadgets on this person's roof. Due to the complaints by the other campers, the management asked this person to either leave or stop using up all the bandwidth. The next day, after departure, the cg internet was back to normal.
He was probably down loading movies or something. I expect his signal was so strong it overwhelmed the other users like shouting in a library.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #28

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For us electronic communication is absolutely mandatory, for banking if nothing else.

In the states we have a wi-fi hot spot so that really covers our needs. Remarkeably the Verizon data coverage is almost everywhere.

Also the addition of smart phones and their data packages almost negates the need for a computer and in a sense wi-fi. Really the phone does as much if not more than the computer.
I agree. I have unlimited data with Verizon and now that in have an iPhone 5 it works really well.

I still like the WiFi option as two sources are better than one.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #29

Registry
I missed the part where you use an ethernet cable to connect. Makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of a cell phone booster (something else I am interested in getting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I agree. I have unlimited data with Verizon and now that in have an iPhone 5 it works really well.

I still like the WiFi option as two sources are better than one.
With unlimited data (something I don't think is even available up here), a phone booster to ensure a good signal might be just as good, no? You could just set up to use your laptop or tablet via with the phone as a hotspot. Is this option slower than a good wifi connection?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #30

Connecticut
Quote:
I missed the part where you use an ethernet cable to connect. Makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of a cell phone booster (something else I am interested in getting)

With unlimited data (something I don't think is even available up here), a phone booster to ensure a good signal might be just as good, no? You could just set up to use your laptop or tablet via with the phone as a hotspot. Is this option slower than a good wifi connection?
Jim, I can't argue with your logic. My 4G iPhone 5 is blazing fast and seems as fast as WiFi. I tested the speed and was amazed at its performance. You could certainly get by with a phone data plan alone although in done areas it might be 3G or slower speeds--in which case you will wish you had WiFi.

Regarding WiFi, I don't want to pay $20 for cell phone data tethering or jailbreak my phone for free tethering. And, my cellular data does not work in Canada. I've been getting by with text messaging and WiFi and it is a PITAbit it is something.

Regarding cell phone boosters, Wilson makes antennas, boosters, of various sorts for extending both phone and data range. So far my phone has been working really well on its own. What I have found is that in a marginal area my cell phone runs through battery life fast trying to stay connected by boosting output power. Using a cigarette adapter to charge it keeps it topped off. A booster could be a real help in a marginal 4G area.

I do believe in overkill and redundancy for communications. It seems like cheap insurance that could save a life in an emergency. I'd rather be the only one with phone service than one of many without..
Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #31

Florida
We have a Wilson cell phone booster with external antenna. We typically use it for boosting our 3G hotspot. 3G seems fast enough.

When we're home in the summer we often have guests. It's not unusual for 3 people to be using 3G at once. It typically tests out at 1-2 mbs.

Of course 4G is blazing in comparison but for most apps 3G is just fine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Regarding WiFi, I don't want to pay $20 for cell phone data tethering or jailbreak my phone for free tethering.

Regarding cell phone boosters, Wilson makes antennas, boosters, of various sorts for extending both phone and data range.
Does not using your phone as a wifi hotspot just draw on your data plan? I have used this a few times, and had no extra costs.

On another thread I pretty much got the same recommendation. I am going to talk to Wilson to help decide what is best for my application.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #33

Connecticut
Quote:
We have a Wilson cell phone booster with external antenna. We typically use it for boosting our 3G hotspot. 3G seems fast enough.

When we're home in the summer we often have guests. It's not unusual for 3 people to be using 3G at once. It typically tests out at 1-2 mbs.

Of course 4G is blazing in comparison but for most apps 3G is just fine.
I don't have the test equipment to evaluation antennas on these bands.

Can you cite the model number of the Wilson and when the opportunity presents itself, test it with a Verizon 4G,Ike an iPhone 5?

I have been researching this and the LTE frequencies are a bit out of the normal 850-900Hz and 1800-1900MHz bands. These can be as low as about 747MHz and 1710 to about 2170MHz.

So while voice and 3G data could be fine, 4G may not work as well. I have not even begun to look into trying to make my phone work in Canada--that could be significantly different.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #34

Connecticut
Quote:

Does not using your phone as a wifi hotspot just draw on your data plan? I have used this a few times, and had no extra costs.

On another thread I pretty much got the same recommendation. I am going to talk to Wilson to help decide what is best for my application.
It would draw on your data plan. This is one reason I bought a used iPhone 5, so I could keep the unlimited data. I do wish I never left AT&T. I had a corporate discount and could use data and phone at the same time. I am not happy that Verizon has not fixed that with LTE.

Talking to Wilson is a great idea. I was thinking about asking them about their recommendations for Verizon's 4G. I want to put this setup on my boat so my phone will stay charged when I'm offshore (near coastal distances). I'd like a similar set up with a Yagi antenna. I would be thrilled to get a signal across Lake Ontario. Based on my success in Canada near Niagara (bareback), a booster could work real well over long water paths.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
In four days at the Escape rally I burned through 3/4 of my data plan. That was by tethering my MacBook Air to my iPhone as a personal hot spot. If I had just accessed FGRV through the phone app, I would have used much less data, because the app sends less data to the smaller device.
And, as the Old Bag pointed out, if I didn't access FGRV, I could spend more time paying attention to her.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #36

Florida
Data and Voice.

I have a Samsung S3 it is capable of doing data and voice simultaneously.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, as the Old Bag pointed out, if I didn't access FGRV, I could spend more time paying attention to her.
Wimmin brains, eh!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #38

Connecticut
Quote:
Data and Voice.

I have a Samsung S3 it is capable of doing data and voice simultaneously.
You are on AT&T?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #39

Florida
Verizon Voice and Data

Conrad.

We're on Verizon. If I'm talking to someone on the phone I can simultaneous go out to an internet site, actually access any app on the phone. I rarely have a need for this but at times it's handy.

I don't know if the phone has always had this ability. Pleasantly the phone regularly up dates with improvements and extended abilities.

In addition to the continuous Application updates, there have been at least 3 virtually automatic updates of the Anroid operating system since we purchased the phone (less than a year). We were surprised in Newfoundland one day to have the Android green guy appear on the phone announcing an upgrade and installing it while in Canada.

As you know the smartphone is a marvelous tool, and probably our most used, and not just for phone calls though Verizons $12 a month Canadian rider with unlimited minutes did encourage a lot more road calling than we would normally do.

On top of regular phone improvements, I'm continually accidentally stumbling across phone features that make it evermore useful. Expensive, yes; Useful, definitely.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #40

Connecticut
Quote:
Conrad.

We're on Verizon. If I'm talking to someone on the phone I can simultaneous go out to an internet site, actually access any app on the phone. I rarely have a need for this but at times it's handy.

I don't know if the phone has always had this ability. Pleasantly the phone regularly up dates with improvements and extended abilities.
I find it a bit frustrating at times. Also if I want to tether I lose my iPhone 5's voice. Verizon is pushing shared data and MiFi. I don't want to give up my iinited data. I can add another phone line for $10 and may do that at some point.

With family texting, texting is free in Canada. I dropped that and use google voice for free texting. Also texting is free between iPhones.

So my thoughts are to use roaming for emergencies and to seek out wifi hotspots for texting. I'm often at friends aces with wifi which allows free texting. This explains why I have a emphasis for WiFi.